Author Topic: A bit of a delicate question ...  (Read 5906 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A bit of a delicate question ...
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »
It is.... maybe the immune system fights it off?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
how wierd.  my little Mouse had a lump inbetween his shoulder blades, i discovered it one evening and decided to get him to the vets the following day but the next morning it had gone completely.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 09:57:19 AM »
yes Gill that's what made me think, my sister had one and by the time she got her appt at the hospital it had gone down, they said it could have dispersed and had she had any antibiotics recently, she'd had some a month previous for a tooth absess.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 21:51:44 PM »
wondering if it was a cyst................i had one that was getting bigger on my back and had an appointment to see a doctor to have it removed cos by now it was causing a problem abd just before the appojtment it vanished and had it for a few years!

it did come back though and had to get it sorted cos couldnt lean against anything.

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 21:32:46 PM »
You need more than a Baileys... you need a ruddy straight jacket.  :naughty: :rofl:

Honestly, the things people will make up just to get a post going  :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

Bet you felt a right idiot.  I went to the doctor with a rash on my neck recently and when I got there it had nearly gone

Glad he's ok.

Mary and Bonnie x
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 18:41:02 PM »
Oh I am just at a loss and supping me Baileys.  It is a strange phenomenon (spelling?) and there you go.  There is only one thing I AM sure about and that is there was definitely a lump last, night, this morning and at 12 noon.  Where it went to I haven't a club.  Back to the Baileys!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 18:36:52 PM »
Typical isn't it? good news though, I wonder - could it have burst? has he had any antibiotics recently because that can happen if so, I know of a similar case.  Good news about the weight too.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 18:34:00 PM »
I had a similar dilemma when asked to check if a stray had been neutered. I looked and he had 2 bumps. Not done? Me supposedly the expert in this situation - expert by association I hasten to add!  :-: Well he wasn't behaving like a whole tom so after much consultations decided he had been done.

But I needed to find out what was actually left after a castration. So at the next welfare meeting I went to I raised the question. And yes, very often after a successful neutering two little bumps can be left. Before op 2 round balls after op 2 little bumps. And no, I wasn't embarressed  :shy: as I think a lot of others were wondering as well!
 :reading 2:

A quick squeeze is the easiest way to tell, an entire cat will have 2 peas in there and a neuter may have the look of being full but theres nothing to pinch  ;)
Not foul proof as they could always be retained lol

^george^ had always kept the look of being well endowed until he got a good grooming and it was all old hair  :rofl: he lost his street cred in a matter of minutes  :evillaugh:

MM, if the lump was to the side of his bum then its not whats left post neuter, these would be under it

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 18:28:11 PM »
Thank you CaroM frustrated just about sums it up!  I'll get me Baileys :rofl:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 18:21:51 PM »
 :omg:  I can imagine how frustrated you must feel.  Hope you've had the stiff Bailey's.  For what its worth I do believe you.  At least he's been examined and that should have set your mind at rest. 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 18:13:47 PM »
Oh dear - how strange!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 18:02:40 PM »
Im at a loss - its hard to suggest anything without seeing ....
People Power Works!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 17:53:34 PM »
Nope no poo as yet at all today!  I did not IMAGINE THE LUMP!!!!

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 17:52:30 PM »
At least there is nothing serious going on .....

A thought - is it just possible Charlie has had a poo since you examined him yourself - and that it was a piece of poo in his rectum causing the bulge?  Especially if he was slightly constipated? 
Once had a foster-cat who suffered constipation and,  basically, sometimes his anus bulged before he pooed - it could look quite alarming!! :-[
People Power Works!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 17:38:15 PM »
you will NOT believe it when I tell you.  Last night the lump was there, this morning the lump was there, at 12 noon the lump was there 3.10 at the vet's no lump!  I swear there was a lump. Why else would I put myself and Charlie through all this stress?  I do not have munchausen by proxy, there WAS a lump.  The lump felt the same as the abscess one which was checked by Sarah Heath on her visit and pronounced to be an anal gland abscess which required a/bs.  This lump felt the same but .... there was no lump so am I mad.  My daughter thinks so!  She says "I believe you believe there was a lump" THERE WAS A LUMP! Where did it go?  Good news his weight is down to 6.1kg so he lost a little! Sigh I think I need a stiff Baileys!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 17:41:18 PM by Maddiesmum »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 17:08:13 PM »
Why isnt she home............hope charlie is OK  :hug:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 16:32:02 PM »
You back from the vet yet?

Please give us some good news.

Mary and Bonnie x
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Pudding

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 14:22:12 PM »
I had a similar dilemma when asked to check if a stray had been neutered. I looked and he had 2 bumps. Not done? Me supposedly the expert in this situation - expert by association I hasten to add!  :-: Well he wasn't behaving like a whole tom so after much consultations decided he had been done.

But I needed to find out what was actually left after a castration. So at the next welfare meeting I went to I raised the question. And yes, very often after a successful neutering two little bumps can be left. Before op 2 round balls after op 2 little bumps. And no, I wasn't embarressed  :shy: as I think a lot of others were wondering as well!
 :reading 2:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
Fingers, paws, legs and bums crossed  :rofl: :Luv2:

Mary and Bonnie x

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
Good luck at the vets today - hope Charlie behaves  :briggin: :hug: :hug: :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 09:31:55 AM »
Good luck at the vets xx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:35 AM »
Vet appointment 10 past 3 today sigh

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 17:50:13 PM »
 :hug:  Maybe another course of antibiotics will just solve it all. If he's licking it, he must be a bit bothered by it. I'm so sorry; you take care and let the vet decide on this one. It's the sort of thing they are happy dealing with, unlike behaviour probs xxx

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2009, 17:43:12 PM »
I have rung the vet who will ring me back after surgery.  just managed to get another touch of it and it seems to feel the same as his abscess did but on the other side. 

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 17:14:16 PM »
To be safe and to stop you worrying when you are already stressed with the little love I would get to the vet with or without him to put an end to this - a back end  :evillaugh: :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:

Mary and Bonnie x

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 16:04:29 PM »
I don't know anything anymore.  I am just so permanently stressed sometimes I think I am going to explode.  I just had another furtle whilst he was eating and it seems to be similar to last time but on the other side.  I am just going to see how he goes, he isn't scooting but does seem to wash that area a lot.  Although who am I to judge anymore what is a lot and what isn't?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 15:17:24 PM »
oh blimey. can you not ring the vet and ask what anal sacs look like and compare? The "residue" of neutering is pretty obviously nothing to worry about and easy to work out that that's what it is - so this might be something different. You may be worrying for nothing - also do they look the same as when he was at the vet or aren't you sure? If you do have to go to the vet, you were so anxious last time but in the event Charlie was fine so with any luck he'll be fine again if needs be.  :hug:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 15:14:19 PM »
Memphis still has 2 little bumpy areas. He loves to show them off to people ... particularly close up shots  :shocked:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 14:37:02 PM »
Mr T has greeted me at 5.00am so often with a bum-in-the-face greeting that I have an unfortunately good relationship with kitty-botties!! ;)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 14:35:08 PM »
there's going to be a lot of bum prodding going on across the country tonight ;D

and  no doubt a few scratches by bedtime
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 14:33:38 PM »
I have had Charlie for one year and when he came to me his age was assessed as being about a year old, thus making him two now.  I have looked on the net and found an illustration of anal sacs and it looks like that is what it is.  I will see how it goes for a day or so because he can't keep being taken into the vet because of his stress and anxiety levels, mine are through the roof sometimes as well!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 14:30:25 PM »
Teeko has still got little "plums" and he was neutered in June - I think sometimes little lumps remain and Im sure it is nothing to worry about.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 14:29:06 PM »
 :rofl:   :rofl: love the picture.

If Charlie was done last year doesn't that mean he was already one year old.  I think in circumstances where they are already developed fully they never shrink to nothing but I could be wrong.  Might be worth asking the vet (maybe your behavioural one next time you speak to her if you don't like to ring the surgery).

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 14:22:37 PM »

Call a spade a spade wibblechick  :shocked:  :rofl:
This calls for a picture ......
People Power Works!!!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 14:06:30 PM »
OK. I'll let you off then  :evillaugh:  Hope Charlie's OK  :hug:

I just know I'm not going to be able to resist having a peek at Billy's nether region next time he allows a megga tummy rub sesh. Pointless with Freddie as his fur is too long and I wouldn't want to be obvious about it  :evillaugh:

Call a spade a spade wibblechick  :shocked:  :rofl:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 14:05:33 PM »
I think either side of his anus but the vet checked his anal glands last week and they were fine.  It was hard to definitely define cos he was not happy about me checking but it goes with the territory at the moment, he is not happy about me doing anything.  When he had the abscess he was obviously sore when it was touched.  he didn't flinch or anything today just didn't like it

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 14:02:31 PM »
OK!  Very basic question - are we talking about the scrotal area or either side of his anus?  :-[
People Power Works!!!

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 13:55:23 PM »
LOL I am not really into cat's bums, honestly, just that he had an anal gland abscess which was declared clear by the vet last Wednesday so was just double checking.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 13:52:41 PM »
I know nothing about that area (imagine those in rescue may be able to comment) but can I just ask MM, why were you prodding that area anyway? Did you think something may be wrong?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 13:51:25 PM »
Trigger still has two distinct raised areas where his crown jewels were - but has never behaved as anything other than a neutered male - I have always assumed that it is just the remnants of loose skin lying there, and have never ventured to touch them

but I don't know what impacted anal glands look like - is this a possibility?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Link to CatChat