Author Topic: Insurance  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Insurance
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 00:15:11 AM »
Axa here too, they have the genuine life cover ie 7k to spend each and every year (not per condition) and have a flat excess of £50 regardless of the age if the pet.  Most, if not all, other policies have a % of the claim over a certain age (think it's 9 yrs) so you could be paying between 15% & 35% of the claim. 

This is a really good tool to compare the finer details of different policies.

http://www.defaqto.com/consumer/insurance/pet/compare-cat.aspx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 22:54:47 PM »
Axa

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 17:01:59 PM »
I just read their conditions on paying out for death - they will reimburse the cost of the cat!  I guess this is more for the pedigrees out there.  Don't know how it would work for the donation I gave to CP for Silvie!

On your free cover note theres a space for the donation you paid, that would be her purchase price and if you didnt pay they use 'market value' not sure where they get the info from but when George left me M&S gave me £50, to me he was worth more of course but it was a nice surprise to see it there.

2d you wont get straight forward 100% euthanasia and creamtion cover, as Gill says if the cat is pts as treatment failed then they cover it, some companies give £100 towards cremation but i wouldnt choose a policy for that feature.

I use Petplan and think they are fine (my older cat has £65 excess and the younger 5 are £50) and lots of others rate AXA so investigate those 2 and see what you get.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 16:26:36 PM »
I can vouch for AXA as well, had my first year of claims with Max for ongoing conditions, and they've been great and paid the best part of £500 out last  year.

Now they pay my vets directly as well which is helpful, as they have proved that they will pay for the conditions we are claiming for.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 15:59:34 PM »
Axa will also do this but it depends on the circumstances and it is likely to be a cat killed say by an accident like a RTA, or for a cat that goes missing. I remember being asked how much my birmans cost and told them nothing  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 15:56:35 PM »
I have PetPlan for Silvie and they've been fine so far - she has arthritis and they have been no problem in paying out for that for the past two years.  they do insure per condition and will pay out for that same condition for life, after a flat rate excess, each year.  Premiums are reasonable so far but then she's just 6 and is no pedigree, just pure bred Mog!
I only insured with PetPlan as I got her from Cats Protection adn all their cats come with free cover for a few weeks so i just continued it and didn't shop around.
I just read their conditions on paying out for death - they will reimburse the cost of the cat!  I guess this is more for the pedigrees out there.  Don't know how it would work for the donation I gave to CP for Silvie!

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 15:55:34 PM »
Ours are insured with Pet Plan. They'll pay out £5000 per year with an excess of £50. They will pay out for dental work. Holly needed a dental and she needed some teeth removed with cost us £200, but Pet Plan sent us a cheque for £150 literally a week later (after the forms had been filled in).
They also cover deaths, lost pets and boarding.

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 15:32:46 PM »
I would look at getting a quote from Axa as they are very good and many of us here are with them. I took out Axa over a year ago and they have just paid out nearly £700 for Franta and they would pay out up to £7000 every year, excess is £50.

I think that there is some catch about creamations and such but cant remember what it is, I think if your cat has to be PTS as part of their treatment then they will pay though. I know another company paid for Kocka.

Dentals for a medical reason are included and thats how Frantas claim started and we found he had only one functioning kidney.

I moaned last October cos the premium for him and his brother doubled...they are 15 yr old pedigrees but I have to say its been worth it as he now has a life long problem.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 15:13:35 PM »
Oh, I should add that neither of the other boys have had anything wrong with them in the past, so we're clear to move them (no pre-existing conditions, except for some work on George's teeth, but I'm ok with his dental not being covered, because it never has been!).

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 15:05:21 PM »
Well I currently have my 2 insured with Direct Line too, I've just had the renewal and they have increased the premium to £20 a month and increased the excess to £70, I suspect this is because I claimed for Jess last year. I am now thinking of leaving Jess with Direct Line and incuring Milo with Axa

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 14:54:36 PM »
OK, our cats are already insured, but I'm not happy with the policy, and what is and isn't covered (it's with direct line).

With Ed being ill it gave me a bit of a wake up call, and if he'd been treatable, I'm not sure we'd have been covered, or not completely.  I would never let one of them be put to sleep because of a lack of money for vet bills, and would prefer not to go bankrupt or have the house repossessed, so....

I want one that insures per illness per year, so at the start of the year the fund gets topped up (at the moment it's per condition and that's that).

I need one preferably that doesn't charge a percentage excess, but a flat rate for older cats (George is about 9 now).

I'd like to have one that pays something out for euthanasia / cremation costs.  I'm self employed, so I get paid eratically, and sometimes live off savings etc - and I'd never forgive myself if I couldn't do what was needed due to a lack of cash.  (I'm fine for Ed, but haven't paid the card bill this month!)

One that could deal with vets direct would be nice too (see erratic payments! - though I realise that will partly be up to the vets themselves).

So, any suggestions or experiences??  I asked on another non-cat forum, and got told direct line   :-:

Link to CatChat