Author Topic: Why do cats have seizures just before their life ends?  (Read 2099 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: Why do cats have seizures just before their life ends?
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:35:51 AM »
Oh my goodness Im so sorry you have had to witness this with your best friend  :'(

Dont have any advice but can sent my thoughts to you at this sad time.  :hug:

RIP Bob xxx
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 00:46:57 AM »
I'm so sorry you had to go through this.

And, I'm very, very sorry for your loss.

One of our cats is close to the end right now, and it's as hard as losing a person - or harder, because everybody understands if you lose a person - only those who've been there before when you lose a pet.

But my very first cat, Felix, died in a similar way, when I was 16 and he was 10.

He became ill very suddenly one day in summer.  There was just me in the house, because my Nana was in hospital at the time.  He wasn't pining for her, but he wouldn't eat one day, so I made a vet appointment - the earliest I could get was two days later.  With us it had to be PDSA, because there was no other option financially. 

But he got weaker and weaker as the day went on.  I nursed him, and helped him to drink, etc, when he needed to.

But on the afternoon of the second day he went through much the same as your Bob.  I assume it was his body shutting down, or his organs failing, though I don't know for sure.  But it was so hard to watch. 
Bless him, in under 48 hours he'd gone from a normal, happy cat, to being so weak he couldn't raise his head to take a drink.

I've clung onto the throught that at least I was hugging him, and comforting him as he went, so he wouldn't have been scared.

You cling to the same thing.  He knew he was safe and that you love him.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:38:17 AM by 2d »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 00:01:07 AM »
Sorry you've found us in such sad circumstances  :hug: I've not experienced anything similar myself, it must have been very distressing for you  :hug: RIP Bob xx

Remember Our Love

I was chosen that day
I'm learning to fly
the world took me away,
but please don't you cry

And I chose you today
to try and be strong
so please don't you cry
and don't say that I'm gone

When you're feeling alone
just remember our love,
I'm up near the stars
looking down from above.

Remember our love
In a moment you'll see
that I'm still here beside you
when you're thinking of me.

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 21:38:46 PM »
Hi,

My cat Cleo went in very much the same way, she was very agitated and could not settle.  Although she had been unsettled for a couple of hours the ending was quite quick just under ten minutes as I recall, she took a large breath then had a seizure then took another breath and then had another seizure and then she went very still and I instinctively knew that it was all over.  I think the fighting part was minimal.

:RIP:   Bob
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 21:44:47 PM by Yvonne »
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 21:00:26 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your dear companion :( :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 19:25:02 PM »
So very sad and I cant help with the question either as my Kocka went peacefully at the vets.

I am so sorry for your loss of Bob and am sure that he had a wondderful life with you  :hug:

RIP Bob. play hard on the Bridge

Offline BobCat

• Kitten
  • My Prescious Bob and mum
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 19:18:54 PM »
To you all may I say a heartfelt thankyou from me and my boy Bob for your kind words. You may be names without faces but we are linked by a common thread and that is reassuring, I wait for the door to be pushed open or hear that small voice I adored and feel a pain of loss but also pride for I was privilaged to have the honour of caring for my kind and gentle friend!

May God Bless You All

I saved Bob from being poisoned and gave him a loving home in 1989. For twenty years he was a much loved and devoted companion, always there in times of either joy or sorrow! He became a victim of veterinary practice and died in my arms on 11/01/2009

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 17:20:57 PM »
Aw that made me  :'(

Sorry I can't help with the question either xx

RIP Bob

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 17:06:28 PM »
BobCat my thoughts are with you at this sad time. 

Sorry I can't help with your questions.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 17:01:18 PM »
BobCat I am so sorry for your loss,I cannot even begin to imagine what you went through,but you gave Bob 20 awsome years and he will always be with you plus you will always have his pawprint on your heart forever :hug:

I am no vet and this is just a guess but could it be a natural way of the body closing down?  When I had my Chow Chow Tzar put down I paniced like mad when I saw him twitching and shaking,the vet said this was normal and it was just he body shutting itself down.  Obviously in BobCats situation this was longer therefore more seizures?  Please dont take this as definate as I am no vet.

My thaughts are with you :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 16:52:56 PM »
I'm afraid I can't give you any answers either but wanted to give you a big  :hug:/  Poor Bob

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 16:50:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about Bob  :hug: :hug:
I cant help with your question as my cats have all gone peacefully to the bridge with help from the vet  :(

I havent left
I sat on your bed last night i came to have a peep
i could see that you were crying and you found it hard to sleep

I purred to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
its me i havent left you, im well im fine, im here

I was close to you at breakfast i watched you pour your tea
you were thinking of the many times your hands reached out to me

I walked with you towards the house as you fumbled for your key
i gently put my paw on you i smiled and said 'its me'

you looked so very tired and sank into a chair
i tried so hard to let you know that i was standing there

its possible for me to be so near to you every day
to say to you with certainty i never went away

you sat there very quietly then smiled i think you knew
in the stillness of the evening i was very close to you

now the day is over.... i purr and watch you yawning
and say goodnight, god bless, il see you in the morning

and when the time is right for you to the cross the brief divide
ill rush across to greet you and we'll stand side by side

i have so many things to show you there is so much for you to see
be patient, live your journey out then come home to be with me

Offline BobCat

• Kitten
  • My Prescious Bob and mum
Why do cats have seizures just before their life ends?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 16:37:54 PM »
Hi to one and all, as fellow animal lovers I'm sure you will be familiar with the pain I feel within at this time. My dear Bob was operated on by its seems a nearly qualified vet last November he had a problem with ingrowing paws they said! I brought him home paws all bloody and sore and proceeded to give him prescribed medication to ease his pain. Two weeks later I returned him for a check up only to be told he would have to have his claws removed!

I could neither put my devoted friend through such suffering nor afford more extotionate payment for something that might take his life during aneasthetic. PDSA refused to help because although I have supported them for many years, I am self employed, the fact I have not worked nor had income for over three months due to the recession seemed of little consequence. Bob and not I would suffer through their politics and policies. I cancelled my support of the PDSA and will never again give to those who refused to help my Bob in his hour of need!

Daily I nursed him and though he showed signs of recovery it was slow! Then one night last week, he fell off the bed in his sleep and the fall hurt his spine and reopened his wounds, for a     20 yr old cat it was enough to break his will to live.

By Sunday last he was not eating and had decided he was going home to spirit. I nursed him as he lay eyes open and twitching staring past me as he waited for the final moment to arrive. He managed one last pur and then suffered a seizure. This was closely followed by three more and shortly after he decided he didnt want to leave and began fighting for his last few breaths. In tears I had to beg him to set himself free, it was the hardest thing I have experienced in my life after twenty years of love and devotion to watch him die and feel so totally helpless! He stopped struggling for breath and departed from me leaving me alone, empty and in pieces! I couldnt understand why he suffered all those seizure's was it nature's way, removing all sense of pain and killing his brain helping hime to break the tie that had bound us together as he slipped away? Death cannot quench the love within, neither can it stem the tears that fall.....

A cruel end to what had been a beautiful life together......  :'(

I saved Bob from being poisoned and gave him a loving home in 1989. For twenty years he was a much loved and devoted companion, always there in times of either joy or sorrow! He became a victim of veterinary practice and died in my arms on 11/01/2009

Link to CatChat