Author Topic: Harness & Cat tracker?  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Harness & Cat tracker?
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 13:21:23 PM »
Has anyone got any horror stories of harness?

Yes, loads.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 13:12:45 PM »
Harnesses are for supervised used, never leave a cat unattended with one on or 'tethered'.
It would be much safer for him to be an indoor cat or have access to a run, that way you know where he is and he isnt at risk of getting himself hurt in a harness.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 16:05:45 PM »
Hi Andy,

Can't offer any advice I'm afraid but I know the subject has been covered a few times.

If you do a search from the home page on "Tracker" it will bring up several threads about this.  I think the Locator is one that is mentioned alot.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline andyturner

• Adult Cat
Harness & Cat tracker?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 14:44:00 PM »
Hi,

Sooner or later Judo is going to want to venture out and given Gizmo’s disappearance I am more than a little paranoid.

I’ve been looking into GPS and Radio trackers….
•   GPS gives wide coverage but is heavy at 50g.
•   Radio is light, 16g, and at short range, gives better reception if the cat is under a house.

Ideally, I would like to fit both. The only snag is weight & comfort. For a 3kg cat, 66g is like me (90kg) lugging 2.1kg around with me all day. I’m therefore thinking of just going with a radio tracker but this is still equivalent to me carrying 0.5kg.

This got me thinking about a harness because the load would be spread over his shoulders (like a rucksack) rather than hanging off his neck on a collar. This way during the day he can go play then in the evening we seal the house and take his day pack off.

The obvious downside to this is an increased risk of getting caught/snagged in trees & hedges. That said…
a.   He’s got a tracker so I can find him.
b.   If he gets snagged wearing a harness then the load would be spread (like a climbing harness) and he will not strangle himself.

1.   Has anyone got any horror stories of harness?
2.   Can anyone recommend a good tracker?
3.   Are there any rubbish trackers out there?

Thanks and best regards,
Andy
PS. He is chipped and the harness will have a good sized (easy to read) ID tag with full address and telephone number.

Link to CatChat