Author Topic: pet food & supplements with chinese ingredients  (Read 983 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: pet food & supplements with chinese ingredients
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 19:18:18 PM »
btw - When I was in PAH last week, I noticed a whole new range of cat treats - I checked and they are all made in China - therefore they stayed on the shelf!  ;)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: pet food & supplements with chinese ingredients
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 17:09:47 PM »
It is very hard to find stuff not made in China although I try my best. Orijen is wheat & gluten free so we are OK there but it never occurred to me that the glucosamine could be Chinese. I was a friends house yesterday and they were going round the garden checking how many kids & babies toys were Chinese. The only thing that wasn't was a kids plastic slide that was made in Italy. I told them that a lot of plastics are now UK or Italian made and if you look around, you can find them. I hate China for what they do to cats & dogs but have even more reason to avoid things now.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
pet food & supplements with chinese ingredients
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
Hi, mine are well and truly hooked on Hills (at least until Hills change their foods yet again) and I know they use chinese sourced cereals or glutens. Just hope they are now testing them properly prior to distribution, after last year's scare. As the chinese have now added babies and milk products to the pet food horror - same issue: for cost reasons, they push the protein test level results with melamine - I just wondered if there was any website (the EU should have this info but don't think they do?) that listed the source of ingredients of pet food ? I have heard that vit K, taurine and lots of glucosamine may also be chinese sourced (?) as well. I was talking to my new american neighbour who is part of a law suit against Iams as her beloved cat was one of the contaminated pet food victims last year. She has done a lot of research and tells me just how hard it is to avoid the made in china bit. Mine eat k/d and senior where the protein levels are kept low(er) so don't know if this diminishes the risk at all either.

Btw if you take vitamin C yourself, it's very likely chinese made unless the UK is wildly different from America, where 80% commercial vit C tabs for people are from China.

Until they bring their standards up to scratch, which they seem to want to do but are a long way short of doing, it would be useful to know just what we and our babes are actually eating. There is a notmadeinchina website but it's not comprehensive at all.

My boys are old but I know if they were young cats I'd be looking to give them a EU based or organic diet for sure. 

Link to CatChat