Author Topic: How likely is a missing cat to have just moved in elsewhere?  (Read 1066 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: How likely is a missing cat to have just moved in elsewhere?
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 17:03:53 PM »
Very often missing cats are found living very near their original home.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: How likely is a missing cat to have just moved in elsewhere?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 16:57:02 PM »
I'm sure you could go and ask them. If she is happier there, maybe it is for the best? - although having said that, I would be heartbroken if it was one of mine  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Amanda

• Adult Cat
How likely is a missing cat to have just moved in elsewhere?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 16:38:17 PM »
Mum and Dad lost their cat 5 months ago. She was a gray Burmese and very affectionate to my Mum who adored her. Five months ago she went off out through the catflap and never came back. My parents live on a really quiet mobile home park - they are at the end of the row and back onto fields. Lots of neighbours have cats too but these have been fine. My parents have had two go missing in 12 months - both Burmese. Oliver (the cream coloured male) was a total tart to anyone - I have no doubt that he may have been stolen.

Daisy though (gray/blue Burmese) was different - she was very nbervy of people and her disappearance has been a mystery we've never solved.

Today, a chap living a few rows down came to chat to my parents and says there is a gray "siamesey looking" cat living at his neighbours house - he says he noticed the cat because she was so small (which Daisy was).

How likely is it that a cat could be so close by and yet not find it's way home?
In asking that I realise it may not be Daisy.
If it is do we stress her out by bringing her home?
Before she went missing there were altercations with another cat my parents have - the other cat (a kitten really) wanted to play but Daisy being a staid older girl hated her. Ructions occurred at times.

Is a cat likely to think "sod this" and "I'm off".

She is microchipped so proving her identity would be simple.
"Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it"
Ferris Bueller

Link to CatChat