Author Topic: Good litter for unneutered toms  (Read 10163 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Good litter for unneutered toms
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:02:34 AM »
Sophisticat Antibacterial looks similar to normal sophisticat although more white than grey, and with blue bits in it. I normally prefer removing things to covering up smell, but with unneutered tom cats, the smell is priority.
TF - I scoop trays 3 times a day (sometimes more if they do something in front of me), change every other day and wash once a week. Unless I am using clumping, which I haven't for ages, then I scoop 3 times a day and change weekly
Please spay your cat

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 21:23:21 PM »
my 2 boys are only 15 weeks and have still to be'done' so until they then i am quite paranoid about smellsand have been experimenting with litter, i tried tigerino nuggies and the smell made such a difference but i just got so frustrated with the mess as my boys are diggers and shakers! catsan was the same, i became really anal with my dustbuster and dustpan and brush. asda own brand lightweight litter is soooo powdery and my kitchen floor is white and foot prints everywhere, and the boys seem to be covered in it hey are always dusty, have just come to the end of the bag so won't buy that again. in an emergency a few weeks ago i had to go to co-op aroundthe corner and had to buy their own brand cat litter, it is pink non-clumping, it's fab i love it but it is expensive. i would like the boys to use beauticat but they don't seem to like it, too big for them i think, hard to dig in. i was originally using wilkinson's own litter not the wood one they didn't like that either, think i will go back to wilkos own grey litter. 

i think i may be doing something wrong aswell because i have 2 trays next to each other (saves queing times at the gents i guessed) and i empty them and wash them everyday, but on the bags it says you can take away clumps and keep some litters in for a week and some even a month HOW???????

sorry for going on for ages but i am really struggling with the litter subject too many to choose from and really vary in price.

TF x
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 14:52:55 PM »
Ok thanks. Might get a bag next time I'm passing PAH to give it a try in Pinball's litter tray as his litter tray stinks even though it's emptied every day and anything is worth a go to get rid of the smell  :sick:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 14:39:54 PM »
It's just like regular Catsan - I don't remember it smelling of anything. The disinfectant kills the bacteria which is what causes the smell apparently.

I still prefer the idea of removing soiling rather than cover up smell  :sick:

I used Catsan for years but with Clapton's CRF, the trays needed a change every 2 or 3 days - it was foul  :sick:
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 14:41:23 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 13:13:53 PM »
What is the litter made of? I've not seen anti-bacterial litter before but it sounds like a good idea. Does the litter itself smell of anything (ie disinfectant)?
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 08:33:25 AM »
Simple also make a litter tray spray that works the same way as the other spray - enzymes "eat" the protein in urine in theory. You spray the tray a few times and mix the litter up. I would assume it has to be an unmedicated litter as disinfectants kill the friendly bacteria in Simple so it doesn't work.

They sell it in PAH for about £5.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Sophisticat can be dusty, but I would rather that for 2 weeks than unneutered tom smell.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 07:05:37 AM »
I saw it in PAH yesterday. I can't remember the price.

Asda also do an antibacterial one but from what I remember, it's quite dusty.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 18:04:24 PM »
Sophisticat do a really good clumping one but Wilko's own is virtually identical and a fair bit cheaper so I've been using that. As my tray is so huge I now make the litter as deep as possible round the sides with a low bit in the middle. Now when he wees most of it gets caught in the 'litter slopes' but I still have to scrub the stink out now and again.

Might try some of this though now, thanks for the hint!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 17:35:49 PM »
It could be, it is like a pale blue bag (on the website Sam provided, there is another Sophistcat), it doesn't clump particularly, just very slightly, like most Sophisticat. Molly wee's standing up, so she has a covered tray, but I do need to replace the older two, as the plastic has kept some of the smell.
Please spay your cat

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 17:19:56 PM »
I may be wrong but I think I've seen it in PAH. I've never tried it as I prefer clumpy litter and I don't think it's a clumper although I'd love to be told otherwise.

My 13 yo has a habit of standing up to do number ones and never buries them, the litter tray sometimes hums even though I clean it all the time. I used to think it was because he was too big for our old tray so I spent 40 quid  :Crazy: on a jumbo one and he still does it  :doh: . Now I wonder if he may have been used for breeding back in the day and was neutered late.
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 16:17:52 PM »
I have just had an unneutered lad come in today so will try it on him.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »
Thanks, I popped into a local pet shop yesterday and ordered a big bag, was £11.79, but will only be used for unneutered toms, and I dont get that many in.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 22:10:10 PM »
This site might be of use Des:  http://www.catlitterdirect.co.uk/ it sells Sophisticat Anti-Bacteria
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Good litter for unneutered toms
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 20:51:18 PM »
When I got the first unneutered tom this year, he came with some litter that I have never used before, and I couldn't smell he had only just been neutered till the bag ran out (luckily 2 days before going to his new home!!). I got another unneutered tom on Sun, so got someone to pick me a bag up today (still no car!!), and he used it as soon as I put it in, and I picked the tray up to have a smell, and very little smell, nothing like this morning (he was neutered yesterday). So it might not have been a one-off, and I will certainly be buying a bigger bag when I get the car sorted. It is Sophisticat Anti-Bacterial, I got some from a small pet shop, but have seen it in other places, although I can't think where now, and I don't know how much it is for a bigger bag, but will have some in for just in case, my bathroom will hopefully stop smelling now!! Thought I would share
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat