Author Topic: Totally new to the cat world, but so, so excited!!! Toby's arrived ... PICS!!!!  (Read 17129 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Totally new to the cat world, but so, so excited!!!
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2008, 10:34:26 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much ... Toby is an older experienced human owner he will soon get you into a rountine that suits him and you will wonder why you were worried at all.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Angel cake

• Adult Cat
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »
Yes please do relax. All will be well. You will settle into a routine with feeding him. There are no set rules to it. Toby is very lukck to have such a loving family.

He will love his new home. It's amazing how quickly they settle in. It's sounds as though he will have lots of fuss. Please don't doubt everything. I'm sure you will be a natural.

Good luck, and enjoy him.

Hayley x  :hug: 

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2008, 07:57:37 AM »
Only 6.5 hrs till we can collect Toby.  I'm still excited, but getting really nervous now as well. :scared:We've never owned a cat before, so I'm starting to doubt everything.  i.e What time do I feed him, what if he does escape etc etc  I'll be asking lots of questions this afternoon.  I can always call on you guys as well.  Must try and relax a bit.  I hope he does like his new home.
McIntyre Quad

Offline Angel cake

• Adult Cat
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2008, 21:35:08 PM »
 :C: :O: :N: :G: :R: :A: :T: :U: :L: :A: :T: :I: :O: :N: :S:

I am pleased to hear Toby is going to a great home. We have a ginger tom called Toby.

Older cats are great. We adopted  a female tortie, she was aprox 11. Unfortunatly she went out and didn't come back, just before Christmas,  :'(  but she was aprox 18, so a very good age. She was the boss of the house thouigh lol  :rofl: 

Hayley x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2008, 20:20:47 PM »
Personal experience from giving them to cats  :rofl:

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2008, 19:47:39 PM »
I've decided to wait and see what the CP people recommend tomorrow, before I go out and buy food.  I'm slightly concerned about changing his diet, as well as his surroundings all at the same time.  I thought maybe it would be best to buy what he's eating at the moment and then research fully the best food for him, before changing it.

Thats the best thing to do, stress can upset tummies on its own so a food change at the same time is not a good idea!
In regards to meat if they offer tinned food that may be why he ignores it, pouches taste better  ;)

Good luck for tomorrow!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Please tell me that you don't know they taste better from personal experience.  :sick:
McIntyre Quad

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2008, 17:45:20 PM »
I've decided to wait and see what the CP people recommend tomorrow, before I go out and buy food.  I'm slightly concerned about changing his diet, as well as his surroundings all at the same time.  I thought maybe it would be best to buy what he's eating at the moment and then research fully the best food for him, before changing it.

Thats the best thing to do, stress can upset tummies on its own so a food change at the same time is not a good idea!
In regards to meat if they offer tinned food that may be why he ignores it, pouches taste better  ;)

Good luck for tomorrow!  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2008, 16:36:27 PM »
Well, I think Toby's very lucky to be coming to your house to live, because you're so geared up towards his needs it's just brilliant, and I think it's a good idea not to change too many things straight away, so that he gets time to accustom himself to his new home.  I fully recall though telling the lady at the cattery when Paddy used to go there for a holiday that he'd only eat meat in jelly, and he proceeded to defy me by eating a plate of meat in gravy right before my very eyes!  :evillaugh:  A change is as good as rest, as me old mum used to say!  :rofl:

Can't wait to see Toby pics on here very soon.   :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2008, 16:04:03 PM »
Definitely a mix, and if he will accept it, more wet than dry with his age, it is better for his kidneys. I would ring and ask them today what he is currently eating, or buy a small bag of what they have recommended just so you have some in for him straight away. I Wouldn't feed SCience Plan, I dont think the ingredients are good enough for the cost, similar to Iams really - PAH have their food on offer this weekend.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2008, 16:01:49 PM »
well the vets do make money out of science plan but I'm no expert so wouldn't say its not good, mine have royal canin and I know lots of people use the own brand pets at home but I agree intially you should probably stick with what he has, they might give you some to take home - good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2008, 15:58:57 PM »
Can't believe we collect Toby tomorrow.   ;D

I woke up at 3.15am this morning from a nightmare.  I dreamt that the next door neighbours went out and bought a dog and it was harrassing Toby.  Took me over a hour to go back to sleep. :Crazy:

I've decided to wait and see what the CP people recommend tomorrow, before I go out and buy food.  I'm slightly concerned about changing his diet, as well as his surroundings all at the same time.  I thought maybe it would be best to buy what he's eating at the moment and then research fully the best food for him, before changing it.  When we went to see him at the CP centre, they told us that he doesn't like meat, will only eat biscuits.  However, someone has already informed me it's best to have both.  I want to make sure I get it right.  I thought science plan was quite a good food.  I always see it in vets.  What do you guys think?

Hopefully, I can send some pictures soon.  I think he is gorgeous.
McIntyre Quad

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2008, 09:24:29 AM »
how lovely!  Toby is going to be very lucky

I used to use Royal canin sensible (then a number poss 33??) when my bengal had tummy issues, you can get that from joyelles and pets at home or as Sam says Zooplus - I still get excited about the parcels coming from them even though I know what is in them!!

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 22:15:04 PM »
oh my goodness, i have just read the whole of this thread and the excitment of Toby's arrival is just bubbling inside of me.

I am sooooo excited for you and well done for getting an older cat ooooh it sounds like he is going to have a fab life as the new addition to the McIntyre family.

keep us posted and pictures are a must asap.

TF

(Rhiannnon)
mummy to Floss & Tepe (13 weeks old)
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 20:48:51 PM »
Woo Hoo im excited for you too and im 41  ;) cant wait to hear all about Toby and see his pictures ;D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 19:55:53 PM »
Ahhh how wonderful I think Toby is going to be one VERY spoilt, VERY loved and VERY happy boy when he moves in.  I have no doubt he will repay you 10-fold for giving him a new forever home. :hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
I've already had an email from him saying "woo Hoo, Toby coming home soon".  He's 32 in two weeks time and I'm not sure who's excitement is harder to contain, his or our two and a half year old. 

How lovely is that?   ;D :evillaugh:

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
Counting down the nights.  Only two more and then Toby can come home.  ;D I set his bed up last night with his blanket and when my son George came down this morning I told him it was Toby's bed.  Then later on, when I had a visitor and I said to George, "where's Toby's bed" he went straight to it.  We also had a conversation about what George likes and he told me, "Toby and Bodmin!".  Bless him.  My husband went back to work today and I've already had an email from him saying "woo Hoo, Toby coming home soon".  He's 32 in two weeks time and I'm not sure who's excitement is harder to contain, his or our two and a half year old.  Mind you, I can't talk.  I keep wanting to go and get him now!
McIntyre Quad

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »
Woo Hoo  :wow: Great news  :cheer:

Looking forward to hearing all about him when he settles in  :)

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
Yay, fab news, looking forward to seeing the pictures of the gorgeous Toby!

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 20:29:48 PM »
thats great news  ;D and happy anniversary  :briggin:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2008, 19:51:24 PM »
We all have a bit of an "issue" with Iams as they have a poor record of animal testing this site has ore information http://www.iamscruelty.com/   ... of course you won't be banished if you do decide to feed this product  ;)  but it's always nice to be informed.

There are lots of other very good quality foods which are much more "animal freindly" ... I feed Royal Canin which goes down very well with my lot.  Or James well beloved , hills or orijen are also very good.

I did a search for sensitive cat dry on zooplus and it brought up the following:  http://www.zooplus.co.uk/ask?query=sensitive+cat+dry&form=search

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2008, 19:40:17 PM »
Great news   ;D

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2008, 19:23:05 PM »
There are ethical issues with Iams, but the main reason is that for the price of it, you could get something that IMO is much better quality, i think it is overpriced and not great ingredients. You probably would have to change his food over gradually, although a mix of wet and dry food is best.

Thanks.  Now I know.  We're first timers, so all advice gratefully received. :)
McIntyre Quad

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2008, 19:16:13 PM »
There are ethical issues with Iams, but the main reason is that for the price of it, you could get something that IMO is much better quality, i think it is overpriced and not great ingredients. You probably would have to change his food over gradually, although a mix of wet and dry food is best.
Please spay your cat

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2008, 19:05:15 PM »
I am really pleased to hear this - although I would restrict his outdoor access to supervised only cos of the concerns about his hearing, and he may not appreciate being walked on a lead, very few cats do. Not sure about Iams biscuits am afraid, I refuse to feed them.

We were advised by the CP people to feed him Iams delicate, because that was what he ate at his last home.  Why wouldn't you feed them?
McIntyre Quad

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2008, 19:02:52 PM »
What wonderful news.  I'm so pleased for you and Toby.

You may be able to buy Iam's senior (or an equivalent) on Zooplus.  There is a link at the bottom of the page ... if you click through the link you will get 10% off your first order, free delivery on orders over £29 and purrs will get a commission on everything you spend.

They have 100's of different pet foods, toys, treats, beds, scratch posts etc etc etc.  definitely worth a look  ;)

Can't wait to see pics of Toby ... you'll have to change your user name now to the MCIntyre Quartet  :rofl:

Happy Anniversary and hope you enjoy your yummy tea.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2008, 19:01:17 PM »
I am really pleased to hear this - although I would restrict his outdoor access to supervised only cos of the concerns about his hearing, and he may not appreciate being walked on a lead, very few cats do. Not sure about Iams biscuits am afraid, I refuse to feed them.
Please spay your cat

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2008, 18:51:25 PM »
 :thanks: guys.  We were going to go out and celebrate, but have opted for chinese, Hagan Daas ice-cream, red wine and a DVD.  3 years today.  After our fantastic news about Toby, we went to the pet shop today and bought him a new bed.  We opted for a plastic one, with two really nice blankets.  Any ideas where I can buy Iams delicate biscuit food?  Could only find the senior one in Asda, is that the same??? :thanks:
McIntyre Quad

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2008, 17:51:37 PM »
I am so pleased for you and for Toby.  He may well be quite happy to confine himself to your house and garden, particularly if you do take the precaution of keeping him in for eight weeks.  We look forward to seeing his picture and hearing more about him  ;D
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2008, 15:28:28 PM »
 :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: :yesss: Excellent news for you all and Toby!

Happy Anniversary!

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2008, 15:25:41 PM »
Fantastic news  :congrats: :catluv:
And happy anniversary  :Party 3:
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 15:06:46 PM »
Yay!!!  ;D

Bring on the dancing bananas......            :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy:
Excellent news, and happy anniversary too!   You may find Toby settles completely as an indoor cat, but if he doesn't then the strategy you've worked out is a good start.    :cheer: :cheer:

The thorny question of indoor/outdoor has valid arguments for both sides.  And yet, for those of us who do have outdoor access cats, I think much depends on the area you live, the age and character of the cat etc.  I lost two cats at our old house without explanation, and yet Paddy lived under exactly the same circumstances and conditions and I'm pleased to say has made it into a rather gentle and mellow golden age of catdom at the ripe old age of 16 - nearly 17 in two  months' time!    Older cats are generally more content to stay in or about their own patch, enjoying the odd spot of sunshine or snuggling up by a cosy radiator.  Here's to Toby living out the rest of his days in perfect content with the McIntyre Trio!  :drink:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 14:58:07 PM »
great news!!!!!!!  I've been watching with interest because I know some people with small children have such trouble adopting pets, I'm glad you didn't come up against these problems, looking forward to hearing more about him when he arrives!!!

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 14:55:55 PM »
Just come back from a day out at Springfields horse and pony centre.  Called the CP people when we got back and ... ;DToby's coming home on Saturday!!!!!! :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:  They are concerned about the road, but we have promised to keep him in at school run hours and walk him round the garden on a lead until he gets used to it and keep him in for at least 2 months, because his old home is only 4 miles from us.  I don't think they could have said no really.   ;)Toby will get to feel carpet under his feet after all.  I can't tell you how excited and really happy we are.  It's also our wedding anniversary today, so a double celebration. :hug:   :thanks: for all your support guys.  You were right there with us, while we were waiting anxiously for our news.  Good news, good news hip hip horray.  As you can probably tell, I am well happy.  Going to go and buy him a bed this afternoon and all the essentials.  We're going to buy his carry case from the CP on Saturday and make a very generous donation.  I still can't quite believe it. ;D ;D
McIntyre Quad

Offline em1209

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »
Hi and  :welcome: to Purrs. I'm hoping no news on Toby is good news??

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2008, 07:15:02 AM »
Hope the wedding was a realy god "do" to take your mind off things.  Also hope you get the news you want from the CP people today.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2008, 22:48:35 PM »
ooooh the suspense is killing me .. can't imagine how you must be feeling!

Hope you had a nice time at the wedding.

Offline McIntyre Quad!

• Adult Cat
  • Toby
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2008, 21:35:02 PM »
We've been out to my cousin's wedding today.  Just got home and have a missed call from the cat protection league.  Their message said they'd call tomorrow.  I'll let you know.  I really hope it's good news.
McIntyre Quad

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2008, 20:29:32 PM »
any news????

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2008, 15:36:02 PM »
Hope its good news, you could always offer to do supervised garden visits, not many 14 year olds want to go off galivanting for hours on end, a nap and pootle round the garden is more like it  ;D

Link to CatChat