Author Topic: Cat Litter disposal  (Read 29014 times)

Offline Purrrrfect (Shelly)

• Senior Cat
  • R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx
    • The-Kats-Whiskers
Re: Cat Litter disposal
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2009, 18:33:16 PM »
We recently had this problem so we eventually asked for an industrial waste bin. We have to pay for it but its worth it to keep the mound of cat litter down. And with up to 25 cats in residence thats a lot of litter. lol
Adopt a cat or kitten at...
www.the-kats-whiskers.co.uk/smf-forum 
Request a custom forum siggie, avatar or picture resizes at.. http://siggiestogo.smfforfree3.com
Pets Lost, Found & Stolen UK
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=129703920378095
R.I.P Pippa, Lady, Sammy, Fudge & Smudge. xxxxx

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2009, 16:54:15 PM »
Has anyone tried the cat litters which are based on hemp (from Zooplus) or on straw (Friendly Natural)? These are supposed to be more absorbent than most other substrates, and obviously more sustainable than clay. I am surprised not to find a litter based on bamboo as it's very absorbent, soft and naturally anti-bacterial.
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
I've just been and added a review too  ;D  If I can see a clump in the middle of the litter and can get the scoop completely under it, it will come out in one piece.  But if they cover it up, you don't always know where they are!   And that's when they just crumble.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 10:44:02 AM »
the classy cat is definately better, holds clumps and smells but I've got two bags of extreme something on the way maybe I'll try golden grey next - no cat stuff buying until October for me now!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 10:37:05 AM »
Ditto  :evillaugh:

Zooplus haven't added my review so the reviews are biased if they don't include bad ones  :shify:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 10:38:49 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2008, 10:33:49 AM »
I dont' normally come in here but have stumbled upon this thread ( :rofl: at the chicky peeps).  Glad I'm not the only one not overly impressed with Tigerino litter.  I was thinking it doesn't clump very well but was wondering whether it was because mine often pee at the edge of the tray and the clumps disintergrate when I try to scrape them off the sides.  Golden grey is much better and I prefer lightly scented to unscented.  I've got a few more bags of tigerino to use up but then it will be back to golden grey for me.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 16:24:43 PM »
I find it doesnt track any worse than other types!

My most worst litters are clean paws and waitrose clumping closely followed by fullers earth, rubbish if they dig as it all mixes up  :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 18:50:18 PM »
Don't you find Cats best tracks like mad?!! I used it several years ago, but it was ok where I used to live because I had 'oatmeal' coloured carpets - exactly the same colour as the cats best, so it wasnt so obvious LOL! but when I moved here, with darker colour carpets..... :omg: - shame, as it IS a good litter.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2008, 18:07:08 PM »
Cats best is clumping wood so not like worlds best/chick crumb really. I use it in one tray but its not their favourite.  >:(

Cheesy Dawn, zooplus often put it on special and discount codes float about so may save you a bit on PAH prices  ;D

Those litter freshening powders should be banned, poor cats having to use something thats smells that strong  :sick:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2008, 16:35:19 PM »
that is probably the only one I haven't tried, order for extreme classic went in today - i really must stop this :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2008, 16:33:48 PM »
I think cats best is like chick crumb - I'm going a bit nutty myself here I should be ashamed of myself searching for talc scented cat litter!

Golden grey is talc scented  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2008, 16:33:13 PM »
The Petfood Warehouse are selling it 4 for the price of 3 at the moment

http://petfoodwarehouse.co.uk/

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2008, 13:36:46 PM »
I think cats best is like chick crumb - I'm going a bit nutty myself here I should be ashamed of myself searching for talc scented cat litter!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2008, 12:38:02 PM »
Does anyone use Cats Best? I love that one (If it is possible to love a Cat litter!!) as it clumps really well and doesn't track too badly either.
Its £6.49 a bag from PAH but it lasts alot longer cause you only have to scoop the clumps rather than complete changes etc.

I feel mental talking to anyone except you lot passionately about something like Cat Litter!!!   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2008, 10:21:58 AM »
You can always add some litter freshener? - I would rather no smell as the talc perfume smells like it is covering up something nasty  :sick:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2008, 09:38:47 AM »
I thought the pah one didn't smell, I want a talc one  :shy:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 09:31:45 AM »
I wish Zooplus sold one that clumps as well as PAH as it is excellent and no perfume.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 08:29:29 AM »
well the classy cat clumps ok but does crumble a bit - seems to hold in smells ok though - I will be trying the granny/baby smelling one and then probably go back to chick crumb

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2008, 22:04:09 PM »
I am having doubt now though. If you google bentonite litter, there are loads of sites that advise against clumping litter saying if it is ingested, it can be dangerous. Any ideas?

Theres also the thought that it can be a contributing factor in hyperthyroidism - don't know how, but I read it today.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2008, 18:15:34 PM »
Its large grain tho, i can get normal fullers earth type very cheaply locally, just not the extra fine stuff  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2008, 18:10:08 PM »
Maybe this is the cheapest clumping - about 1/2 way down page. They do free delivery as well when you spend a certain amount - 20kg is a heavy bag!
http://www.oscars.co.uk/productselection.ikml?id=5&range=87

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 17:45:57 PM »
It smells very much like grannies/babies/talc  :sick: clumped ok tho  ;D

Ingesting is more likely in kittens that are weaning so worlds best is better for them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 17:45:00 PM »
Mark what did you make of extreme classic??

From what I remember, there wasn't a great deal of difference between it and Golden Grey.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 17:44:17 PM »
This seller "Oscars" sells 20kg of unbranded Bentonite litter for £6.95 - most clumping litters are made from bentonite

I am having doubt now though. If you google bentonite litter, there are loads of sites that advise against clumping litter saying if it is ingested, it can be dangerous. Any ideas?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 16:11:21 PM »
Mark what did you make of extreme classic??

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 08:09:21 AM »
well I could smell the hall tray last night while watching tv (fully changed on Sunday) so I've put the classy cat down, I can't smell any baby talc but it is supposed to be there, I'll let you know how it clumps, it can't be worse might try extreme classic -  omg I'm a litter junkie!!!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 08:42:31 AM by Dawn F »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2008, 19:22:26 PM »
I saw a link to it but it was a dead one  :( - I think I will order the classy cat or whichever is on offer next - unless gg works out the same. I still have a fair bit of tigerino left - but the amount I am using is silly - I am barely making it last a week with it crumbling like an oxo  :tired:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2008, 19:13:18 PM »
Golden grey is the least scented of the lot, rapidly fades. Think the odour lock was limited which is a shame, got a free tin of food on the side too  :wow:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2008, 19:06:38 PM »
I tried golden grey and it was fine but I wanted odourlock as it is unscented?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 18:45:05 PM »
Golden grey comes 2nd to odour lock, not tried the classy

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 16:00:56 PM »
Exactly, the whole idea is this you remove all the soiling so really it doesn't do its job  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2008, 15:57:18 PM »
they shouldn't have a problem with that, must admit I do like the smell!!!  probably why I get so irritated when it starts smelling of pee!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2008, 15:53:13 PM »
Just along the line of Smells nice, nice & fine, rubbish at clumping. I said I bought it as it was on offer but it's working out more expensive than others as I have to keep changing the trays completelty. I said I wouldn't buy it again  :tired:

Going to see if anywhere else sells odourlock online. I hate the fake baby talc smell of most of them  :sick: - tigerino smelt OK
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 15:56:18 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2008, 14:58:34 PM »
omg what did you say!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2008, 14:56:58 PM »
Exactly  >:( - I see Classy cat is on offer now. I did try it but can't remember if it was as good as golden grey?  :Crazy:

It looks like they have stopped selling odourlock  :( - I really wanted to try it  >:(

I have submitted a review for tigerino giving it 2/5 - I don't know if they will pass my review.

I did one for Whiskas dry last week and got an email saying that the moderators decided not to use it as it left me and them open to legal action from the maker  :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2008, 14:35:44 PM »
the worst thing is in my corner tray for some reason I can't explain the designer made the bottom textured????  you should see me with my scrubbing brush!

Tigerino isn't one I'd recommend, it does clump but try and pick it up in once piece, no chance

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 13:59:06 PM »
I am going to put a review of Tigerino on Zooplus - it won't be good!

I looked into oils and basically none are safe for cats as some contain phenols that will accumulate in the liver and poison, attack the neurological system or cause breathing problems. I am looking into buying some plant Hydrosols and hope they are greasy enough to stop the litter sticking to the tray. It's incredible how much conflicting info there is on the net. I had almost made my mind up to buy thyme oil and as there is a herbalist directly opposite I so easily could have bought some  :scared:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 10:37:20 AM »
the classy cat arrived yestereday, doesn't look as fine but won't be changing trays until the weekend I hope so will know about clumping then

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
Annoyingly, I had 4 big bags of tigerino  :tired: - I'll be glad when it's gone. The PAH one is great and sets like concrete  :evillaugh: - I read somewhere (wish I bookmarked it) that you can smear Thyme oil or peppermint oil on the tray as it kills germs and stops it sticking + smells nice  :). I will check they are safe to use before I try it. Thyme oil sounds good.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 19:25:01 PM »
Odourlock good  :ok: :ok: :ok:

I only had a small bag of nuggies and didnt like the experience  >:(

Link to CatChat