Author Topic: Cat Litter disposal  (Read 29012 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat Litter disposal
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 16:17:19 PM »
I'm changing it every week as well (well the first week it was three days because of the heat!) I've got classy cat coming from zooplus any day now I'll let you know how that goes

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 16:15:32 PM »
I agree Sheryl, I've been buying this talc scented one to put upstairs outside mils room while she stays with us for 5 weeks, it doesn't clump as well or hold smells in half as well as good old crumb, I'll be going back to it asap

I would give another clumping a go - I agree tigerino smells nice but clumps badly  :tired: the PAH stuff is much better. I will be ordering odourlock next time. Honestly, Tigerino isn't a good example of clumping litter - I still have about 2 bags to get through - Annoying as I got it because it was on offer but it's working out more expensive than others as I have to do a complete change once a week at least  :tired:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 16:15:57 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 12:54:57 PM »
I was interested to see on that chicken forum that one person used compressed sawdust - pellets? for cat litter - does she just mean the bags of sawdust you buy for rabbit hutches etc? Wouldnt sawdust stick to the coats (especially longhairs!) and track all round the house?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »
I agree Sheryl, I've been buying this talc scented one to put upstairs outside mils room while she stays with us for 5 weeks, it doesn't clump as well or hold smells in half as well as good old crumb, I'll be going back to it asap

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 12:21:36 PM »
I was concerned about the chick crumb content so phoned Dodson & Horrell and they explianed that you only get chick crumb containing antibiotics if you specifically ask for it. 

TBH I dont think I could use anything else now - with 4 Benglies and 2 moggies I would rather spend the money on them and not on cat litter so what I save (it costs me £16-£20 a month now instead of £60) buys them lost of toys and treats.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 16:43:37 PM »
We take our swadust and clumping litter to the tip and it oges in the gardening waste skip - we remove all the number 2's and flush them, we also add it to our composters and to our pile of grass in the woods and it is composting nicely so try that as it is wood in our case! :shocked:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 16:17:29 PM »
pretty much any brand is safe but try to get a one which is ok for organic farming, the one I get is safe and the same price anyway
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 13:50:42 PM »
So which chick crumb is recommended then?
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
Yes Chicken folk do join in and remember if you are having problems with rats - (as I did when I kept some bantys) don't go down the poison route - I'm sure we can oblige you with a few mousers!

Had to laugh at the city waste bins. I have visions of ?the great escape? with loads of cat owners shuffling around city streets with used litter dribbling from the bottom of their trousers  :rofl:

I knew a lady who would use the wood pellets (minus solids) as a path in a wooded area of her garden - seems like a good idea.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 23:59:52 PM »
I find it hysterical when I find references to "them looking as us looking at them".  :rofl: I've been know to join other forums just to let them know we know they're watching us.  :sneaky: :evillaugh:

Chicken folks, if you are reading this, come and say hello because we are not (really mad) and some of us really like chickens too!  :welcome: :wow:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 19:28:14 PM »
One more thing - be careful which chick crumb you use as some have an antibiotic in that can cause lameness  :scared:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,15409.0.html

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 16:04:38 PM »
Funnily enough in my research for chick crumbs I came across this.

http://www.poultrychat.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6623

The chicken keeping world think we are all mad, how little they know!  :rofl:

Yes Mark, I have seriously considered sauntering past a few waste bins and dropping in the odd ba, suppose I could even use the doggie bin down the road. I was even eyeing up a half filled skip in the next town today!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 15:36:04 PM »
Do you live in a town? - you could distribute it in various public bins - disguised in carrier bags  :evillaugh:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 13:09:25 PM »
I'm not a rescue or big litter user but was wondering how the local tip is set up?  Mine just has areas with low walls and you place whatever rubbish you have in each area behind the low wall.  It's sectioned off into garden waste, wood, metal and finally general household rubbish which is essentially what the binmen would normally empty from outside your house anyway.  Did you ask them first or did they approach you asking what the rubbsih was?  If it's in a black sack then I'd just throw it in with all the household waste - calling it a biohazard seems ridiculous to me  :Crazy:

Another option could be to use a Worlds Best-alike, lots of us on here use Chick Crumb which is a baby chicken food and looks and behaves in the same way as WB so it's flushable.  It's just crumbs of corn which is what Worlds Best is, a 20kg sack of Chick Crumb is less than £10, the equivalent weight of Worlds Best is well over £45.

I used a pet sitter a week or so ago, when I came back she said to me 'I didn't realise you used World's Best, you didn't mention flushing litter when I went through everything with you so I put it in the bin anyway.' I told her that it wasn't WB but chick crumb and she was really surprised, she uses WB herself and emailed me to ask me where I buy it from so looks like another convert.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
Cat Litter disposal
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:41:24 PM »
Strange header I know.  :Crazy:

Anyway my amount of lodgers has increased over the last few weeks, and so therefore the amount of litter I get thru. Up till now it has not been a problem as I have been able to offload it into the domestic refuse for collection on a fortnightly basis.

Due to the increase I have had to bag the litter and today tried to take it down to the local tip. It was promptly refused as a "Biohazard", It took three employees to tell me that all at once for some strange reason! Anyway I got told it goes into my black bins which only get collected once every two weeks. I stated that the bin then gets quite heavy and the councils are bring in a new directive that if the bins are too heavy they will not empty them.

Some bright spark then says reduce the amount of waste in your black bin, totally overlooking the obvious that there would still be considerable weight in the black bin. I recycle everything I can and more, so what goes into the black bin is minimal anyway.

I have emailed the county council and asked as to what I am supposed to do with it.

I use biodegradeable in the house and grey litter in the pens. But Worlds Best is £22 per bag, so I cannot afford to use it for all my trays. I have some cats such as my queen upstairs that prefers the grey anyway and will piddle anywhere, including my plant pots, but in Worlds Best!

So how do you peeps that probably have considerable more litter than me manage?

Link to CatChat