Author Topic: Hello I am newbie and need urgent help regarding rehoming a older cat  (Read 13343 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Hello I am newbie and need urgent help regarding rehoming a older cat
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:39 PM »
Sorry she cant stay with you but a home you can visit her in sounds lovely  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2008, 21:27:12 PM »
Heather I'm so sorry Josie isn't going to stay with you but great news that she has found a new home and that you can visit her.

Thanks for the update and please remember you don't have to own a kitty to be a member on this forum so please stay in contact and I'm sure we will all share our kitties with you  ;)

Take care and give Josie a big cuddle from me xxx

Sam. Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2008, 21:18:49 PM »
Hi Heather thank you for the update

Good news that you have found a home for Josie but sorry that she could not stay with you

Hope it all works out ok

Best wishes to you both

:ahh:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2008, 20:53:45 PM »
still got no response from councilor, getting a bit sick of it anyway, as it seems i am not going to win!

josie is getting a new home!

a couple who have just moved into their new home and have a garden etc, are prepared to take my cat and says i can visit her anytime!

so will post any updates when i caqn..
Heather

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2008, 07:51:20 AM »
YES, I DID put an ad in adtrader again, , but worded it differently, but now i know what to look out for, I will vet anyone who gets in contact very carefully.
why is it such a crime anyway to put ads in ad trader? i am a responsible cat owner, and would never allow any person, to hurt/be cruel to any animal via these ads.

anyway, been chasing up the councillor as i haven't heard from him, via my appeal, but looks as if it may be bad news, as he hasn't got back. :(

on another note::   
someone must know something and is telling tales on me  in the flats,  and has told the caretaker i had a cat in my flat and of course, i got the inevitable knock on my door, and of course, no cat....  he didnt ask outright, but made some excuse about plumbing needing to be checked >:( 

so a few days later and one of my neighbours on my landing (remember i told ye they were nosey so n so's) :Crazy:
bumped into me in the lift,  as they said i am sure i can hear a cat meowing coming from your flat when i am standing at the lift, so just as well i never sneaked her in, its bene her who has sneakily told the caretaker i may have a cat in the flat, as why would need get in to see my flat, just a few days before she accused me of having cat in there,  very strange co incidence.

anyway, my local newspaper is running a advert for me with a cute story hopefully beside it, this week and making her poet of the week so hopefully that's good news in a way :wow:
Heather

MBll

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2008, 06:47:06 AM »
Heather has put another ad in adtrader for Josie  :-:  just seen the ad just now

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2008, 22:16:53 PM »
Sorry, I missed the bit where you said he'd already emailed you (I blame the cider I've just drunk!!).

Wish I could offer some more help  :(

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2008, 22:04:15 PM »
i am waiting his response.....
Heather

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2008, 22:00:33 PM »
Josie is lovely, she reminds me very much of my dear departed cat The Proot.  :Luv:
Do you think it might be worth contacting your councillor again? I hate feeling as if I'm hassling people, but if they have agreed to try and help you am sure they won't mind you contacting them.

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2008, 10:04:51 AM »
yes I have noticed,  that they cannot give  nor specify  any particular reason,  when they state that the animals must go.
 it really can get very  silly, when you actually read the wording  of the official documents
Heather

MBll

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2008, 02:32:13 AM »
she said the chinchillas were causing rising damp!

Thats  original  pmsl  the things folk come up with makes ya shake your head at their stupidity

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 10:48:55 AM »
keep your chin up. Theres still a chance. Personally, i think it's completely unreasonable that they're being difficult about this  >:( My old landlady was difficult about pets, she said the chinchillas were causing rising damp! And she just turned up whenever suited her without 24hrs notice but thank godness i'm not there anymore.

:luck: though, i hope they let you keep her  :hug:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 01:12:33 AM »
hello there

yes I feel a little sad,  I just feel that it's not going to go the way I am  hoping

xxx
Heather

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 01:01:34 AM »
Good Luck!!! Misty and I are Keeping everything crossed

:hug:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 11:47:53 AM »
just an update on the situation
 I am still waiting from my local councillor, on what I can do in regards to my situation, I have had e-mails from him, and it's not looking too promising.
 I am still keeping my fingers crossed that all I get a proper answer
Heather

Offline Beemumma

• Adult Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2008, 20:36:31 PM »
Put some little fairy wings on her and tell them she's a new breed of pigeon, one that purrs. 

I know it's not a laughing matter, so good luck with the Councillor!!!

Offline toothfairy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Floss & Tepe
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2008, 09:46:55 AM »
have you heard anything yet, thinking about your situation... really upsetting.

keep smiling, am sending positive thoughts your way

TF xxx
Feel the fear and do it anyway!
you don't learn anything until you live it

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2008, 18:59:00 PM »
I hope they agree to her moving in :wish:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008, 19:59:42 PM »
Keeping everything crossed for a positive outcome Heather  :hug:

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 19:35:59 PM »
Hello again

I have already been in my flat for six weeks now, my mother has been taking care of the cat, whilst I find out what is happening but it is temporary only, and she maintains it's only temporary, and is getting a bit sick of me stalling her about it,  and she is not an animal lover, you can tell!   and she likes to keep her  house neat and tidy, and I think Josie has already started to claw at the couch, so that is is that what is not  making my situation any more helpful. 

I buy the food, and pay for anything that she needs,  and she seems to be settled in there, but my mum has a back and front door, and of course been letting her outside, so of course she is enjoying being outside. However, I still say that she would be a house cat, as she has always been with me and it hasn't bothered her.

I understand about sneaking her in there without the  landlord, knowing about it, about the 24 hour permission, but the fact is, there is quite a lot of people, who would probably knowing the rules on multi-storey flats would tell on me. The lift door, where people stand to wait on the lift, is right beside my front door, unfortunately, and if they heard an animal in my house, they would no doubt, or straight to the housing association. It's about mean i know. I guess all we are waiting on is what the councillor says  xx
Heather

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2008, 19:15:24 PM »
Hello everyone

I didn't get any messages to tell me that I had replied to my posting, so sorry about that, mags e-mailed me and says to update the posting.

I went to see a solicitor today, to get some legal advice on my situation. They just said that I would be liable to be evicted if I took the animal in, because I signed the tenancy agreement, so I therefore "agreed" to the rules. It just confirmed what I thought, anyway, that I would get in trouble if I sneaked josie in. So legal bit over :scared:

However, I spoke to my local councillor, and I was also told that councillors have full-time jobs as well as being a Councillor, which I didn't know about this.

Anyway, it's so happens, that the councillor for my area, seems to have some sort of membership of a committee with the housing association that has refused me. :briggin:
He phoned me today to say that he has written to them and asked for, some leniency and flexibility. I will not know for a few days what the outcome of this will be. ;D

I am hoping upon hoping that I will be able to keep her with me in my high flat, so many thanks to the advice and support of everyone on the forum, and I will come back and let you know if the councillor has had any effect on the outcome. ;D :wow:

Regards from Heather
Heather

MBll

« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2008, 18:03:12 PM »
I sent an email  to heather to update on here

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2008, 16:38:31 PM »
Thanks Mags, is there any chance you can find out so I know what's happening?

MBll

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2008, 16:32:03 PM »
Hi dawn  Iv no heard from her & dont know if  shes checked the forum

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2008, 12:55:40 PM »
Is there any more on what's happening with this lady and whether she still needs a home?  I've had another email off Blaikiewell Animal Sanctuary and Mavis thinks they can find a home for her but I need to know as I don't want to be wasting her time   :shy:

MBll

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2008, 18:30:58 PM »
Theres another important reason that joise needs to stay with her mum but Im goini leave that choice to heather wither to say what it is........but even a non animal person should understand the importance of this & not dimiss it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2008, 09:29:08 AM »
I agree with RR ... my friend lives in a block of flats in Nottingham city centre ... the flats are above the main shopping centre and the residents are not allowed cats, dogs or children ...  however I know for a fact that there are loads of people with small dogs and at least 4 people I know that have cats.  As long as no-one complains, the pets don't cause a nuisance and the tenant behaves  the council has no reason to come round and therefore the pets go undetected  ;)

If it was me I would arrange for Rosie to spend the first week in a cattery or with friends then once you are settled into your flat bring her home and don't mention it to anyone.

It is totally unacceptable to expect people to live on their own with no company especially if they have had their pets for as long as you and Josie have been together.

MBll

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2008, 23:13:51 PM »
Another option i suggested to heather 'if' push comes to shove  she can explain to the housing officer/council that due to joise age, rescues being full & the time slot that it wouldneed to take to rehome an older/elderly animal it would be best interest for joise to stay & when she goes heather wouldnt get another pet while she stays in this property.

Theres going to be others in this block with cats & dogs  ya can bet on that & if the council think theres not then their mistaken....others have just kept their gop shut & got away with it so far.

ccmacey

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 23:02:03 PM »
I would give them a sob story, I think its the only thing you can do.

Could you get your vet onside and get him to write a letter for you saying Josie need daily special care (you can make up the condition) then ask the very nice rescue lady closest to you to also write a letter saying they cant take a cat that needs so much care, then you could copy them for the HA.

I know this would be lying but anything would be better than loosing her  :sneaky:

:hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 19:33:59 PM »
Rehoming an older cat is difficult, so if you can get one of the local rescues to help you with short-term accommodation for her that will be your best option if you are tied into the present agreemen.

In total I've had 3 offers to help with this cat but I'm not sure whether or not they would do it short term.  There is a lady in Bridge of Wear, not sure where that is but she fosters for Farplace Animal Rescue and she could provide a safe foster home for her.  I need to know asap though as these people can't afford to keep space open for too long as thousands need help  :tired:  There is also Mavis from Blaikiewell Animal Sanctuary and her offer of help  :shy:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 19:09:00 PM »
I tried throws, but that was in a flat where the owner had given permission. But, at the end of the tenancy I had to buy them a brand new sofa set ............At least they let me keep the shredded one, as I did not have one of my own .................

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 19:01:23 PM »
BC Tut,Tut :no no: I am  :o ...... :ha ha :

ahhhh but I would also catproof the home with throws etc,etc and if Josie's anything like misty
they only cluck and scratch every once in a while ( or maybe Misty's just lazy  :briggin: )

just remembered, I did a similar thing with my TV  :sneaky: poor thing was in the cupboard for months  :evillaugh: till i was caught out  :(

b :censored: y TV license inspectors  >:(

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 19:05:36 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2008, 18:48:23 PM »
errrrrrrrrm yes  :-[ I seem to recall indulging in similar activities when I was a tenant in Sydney  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If the flat is furnished it becomes a little more tricky as shredde bits of furniture are a dead giveaway. And if the paint job is bad, then clawmarks on the windowsill are also a problem (I speak from experience here ...)

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2008, 18:45:34 PM »
bc I was a Landlord too, and as far as I remember " hmm I cant think how to put this down , hold on a mo......... "

ok as far as I remember (with a little help from the internet)

It is illegal for a landlord to enter the property unless you have 24 hours written notice - however you can refuse this. Within 24 hours, the landlord must get your express permission to enter.

giving you plenty of time to put away the food bowl and hide Josie in a cupboard  :shocked:

ok not very practical :( , but that would be the road I would take.... :naughty:

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2008, 18:19:11 PM »
I feel so sorry for you scotgirl.. Josie is adorable  :Luv:

Like Blackcat said how long do you have before you must move? I would seriously look into the private rental sector as there are places out there that will allow you to keep a cat. I know I'm in one of these houses!  :evillaugh:

The guys on here are from all walks of life and can advise you on any aspect of how to find alternative accomodation. For example I am currently on benefits due to illness but rent privately and my rent is covered by Housing Benefit. It is do-able I've done it!

As for the Housing Association, please go to the CAB, they are fantastic at their job and if anything can be done they will do it. But look into alternatives as well and cover your bases.....

Good luck my dear  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2008, 17:45:52 PM »
I'm afraid that if you have already signed a tenancy agreement that had a 'no pets' clause, you have agreed to all of the conditions of the agreement. That is to say, you can not take your cat into the apartment. How tight are your timeframes, as the only option really is to consider alternate accommodation, as they suggest in their letter. Rehoming an older cat is difficult, so if you can get one of the local rescues to help you with short-term accommodation for her that will be your best option if you are tied into the present agreement. Once you move into the flat, you will also be tied down to any requirements for notice, so if you have time to find an alternative that would be your best bet to keep your babe with you.

Sorry I can not be more cheerful. But having been both a tenant and a landlord in my time, there is little room for flexibility if the landlord won't play ball. :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2008, 17:24:13 PM »
Its sucks but you have signed the agreement? I cant see you can loop hole that as its pretty specific.

If you live in a multi-storey or a sheltered housing complex, you cannot keep any pet except up
to two domestic caged birds or tropical fish.

Its a really horrible situation, at 16 years old she isnt going to be causing damage  >:(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2008, 15:56:25 PM »
If it were me, I would sneak Josie in  :sneaky:

Me too and I would absolutely tell no one!!!  ;)

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:51 AM »
Yes that is the exact wording, you can see yourself.  It is just an outright rejection with no reasoning. Maybe that is what I can pick at?
Heather

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2008, 10:18:23 AM »
is this the wording you have ??

I got it from here - http://www.riverclydehomes.co.uk/downloads/WEB%20-%20River%20Clyde%20Homes'%20Appendices%20(2).pdf

2.5 If you wish to keep a domestic pet in a house that is not in a multi-storey or a sheltered housing
complex, you must get our written consent (see Paragraph 10.3 for how to do this). We may
grant our consent subject to conditions which may include the following:
• Keeping your pet is not prohibited by the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991, or by any other law;
• You are responsible for the behaviour of any pets owned by you or anyone living with you;
• You must take all reasonable steps to supervise and keep such pets under control;
• You must take all reasonable steps to prevent such pets causing nuisance, annoyance or
danger to your neighbours and this includes fouling or noise or smell from your pet. If your
pet causes disturbance to your neighbours, you will no longer be allowed to keep it;
• You must take reasonable care to see that such pets do not foul or cause damage to the
house, your neighbours property, anything belonging to us or anything we are responsible
for, such as the common parts;
• You will be responsible for cleaning up any faeces from your pet.
If you live in a multi-storey or a sheltered housing complex, you cannot keep any pet except up
to two domestic caged birds or tropical fish. Multi-storey or sheltered housing complex tenants
may not allow visitors to bring a pet or animal into the property. The only exception made to this
condition is for assistance dogs.
Domestic pet means dog, cat, bird (but not pigeon), fish, rodent (such as hamster, gerbil or
mouse), small non-poisonous reptile (such as a terrapin or tortoise) or non-poisonous insect or
amphibian (such as a newt). This does not include any other animal and no exotic or wild
animals will be defined as being a domestic pet.
Pigeons are not domestic pets. However, if you wish to keep pigeons, you must have our written
consent, which is likely to be granted only subject to conditions which may include restrictions on
the number of pigeons and where they are kept.

If it were me, I would sneak Josie in  :sneaky:

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:20:55 AM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Link to CatChat