Author Topic: Hello I am newbie and need urgent help regarding rehoming a older cat  (Read 13339 times)

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
Re: Hello I am newbie and need urgent help regarding rehoming a older cat
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 10:17:42 AM »
i have copies of the letter and of the tenancy agreement if anyone needs to see the wording on it?

I have made appointments with legal advice team, and with my local MP, to see if I get some backing on this, I just so upset all the time, why do these people make it so hard
Heather

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 09:56:52 AM »
I have brought this thread to the attention to BlackCat ... who may be able to help with the legal side of things.  :hug:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 09:57:40 AM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:08 AM »
i was looking at the paperwork refusing me the animal

this is what was quoted from the letter I received from my local housing Association officer

I am sorry to inform you that river Clyde Holmes cannot grant permission for this

as stated in the conditions of the tenancy agreement applicable to multi-storey flats regarding pets and animals which you signed section 2.5

as intimated in the letter, I do not have the ability to alter or reconsider tenancy agreement.  This is directed by the 2001 Scotland Housing act and this is not at local level.
If you feel that you cannot live without your cat, I can only suggest is you find alternative  accommodation where pets are permitted

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is is exactly what was what was printed on their refusal letter above.

Is there any legal eagles on here that I can nitpick at the above?
Heather

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:14 AM »
Obviously you want to do everything legally and above board but would anyone really know if Jose actually moved in with you? 

Offline Moggy73

• Adult Cat
  • mum to Boris, Poosha and Chicken
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 05:42:53 AM »
Awwwe i really feel for you on this.  :(
How distressing this must be .
Josie looks such a lovely chilled out cat too.
I really hope she is able to stay with you in your new abode.

Good luck and im keeping everything crosses for you and Josie xx  :hug:
'one cat just leads to another'
    Earnest Hemingway

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 01:45:13 AM »
I was reading through between the tenancy agreement (it says Scottish secured on the top) about owning a domestic pet, in a multi storey dwelling, you can actually own pigeons with their permission in a multi-storey high flat, but not cat or dog, (they allow guide dogs) I would certainly imagine that having pigeons would cause a lot more mess and noise than a house cat. lol

I will just have to go through the tenancy agreement section about owning domestic pets with a fine tooth comb and trying to find a loophole somewhere.
Heather

MBll

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:32:26 AM »

and also ask others in the multi if they have pets.  :)

Ya can bet ya wee bum they do...& there be a few dogs there aswell

Heather tell them what ya told me about having pigeons?

MBll

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 01:29:21 AM »

OMG jose in her jammys lol
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:26:20 AM by RatiesRule »

ccmacey

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 01:28:07 AM »
I see Josie dosnt mind wearing clothes too  :evillaugh:

I would go to the CAB and get some advice, I wouldnt like to loose my cat after all those years together. I lived in a first floor flat with 4 cats before and never had any problems with the council. And with Josie being indoor I dont really see their problem.

Ask to see their tenancy hand book for rules on pets, and also ask others in the multi if they have pets.  :)

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 01:18:01 AM »
I do wish I could press on thanks to all the posts on the subject here.
I am very grateful for all the support
Heather

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 00:47:46 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs
and GOOD LUCK with this awful situation, cant see why they cant turn a blind eye to this??
I mean how much mess and noise can a wee pussy cat make ?

It Beggars belief  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 00:35:14 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs..... :)

Hope you manage to get sorted, I really hope the HA will oblige! Good Luck!  :hug:

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 22:23:51 PM »
Hello there

just off the phone, regarding the situation with one of your members, she has advised me to possible contact the citizens advice bureau and try and contest the tenancy agreement that was drawn up, and I will get hopefully an answer.

I will keep you all posted xxx
Heather

• Purrrrrfect Cat
 totally understand your concerns regarding rescues putting her to sleep ... however most independent rescues (ie NOT the RSPCA / SSPCA) operate a no kill policy and you should also ask them about this first.  However I understand the best case scenario for you would be able to keep your furbabe with you.  I hope Helen's links are useful - of course being as you are in Scotland you will have to bear in mind that your laws may be different  :(

I'm sure you will get plenty of advice and assistance from this site.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 21:46:10 PM by Sam (Fussy_Furball) »

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Hi Heather, I put a plea out for this little girl and did receive an email from Mavis who is at  Blaikiewell Animal Sanctuary
  http://blaikiewell.com asking for a contact number.  Mags mentioned that if possible you want to keep your cat but I can put you in contact with Mavis if you need to rehome.  Let me know what you want to do and I'll do what I can to help  :hug:

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
Hello there

yes, I have tried the local Inverclyde cat rescue, but because they have full to capacity, cattery, they cannot take my animal in. They suggested putting ads in the supermarket, which I did, but because of the age of my cat, I never received any responses, and know with this adtrader ad, i was shocked to find out what some people are doing, by picking up all the free cats and kittens on these adverts and  feeding  them to the snakes and lizards.

I was told that it is unlikely that I will find a suitable home, as the majority of people will assume that older  cats, have more costs and responsibilities, my animal has never been to the vet for anything, apart from some standard injections. I have been fortunate that way.

She is still in great health, and I am worried that some cat rescue places would put her to sleep, if they could not find a home for her. I have been told of some places that have done this, so I do need to know some genuine cat Rescue links and  organisations and the Scotland area.
Heather

MBll

Heather  giveus a wee call later

mags

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Hi Heather  :welcome: to Purrs,

Sorry you've joined us under these circumstances but you are doing the right thing by coming here rather than advertising.  whereabout in the country are?  Have you tried contacting your local resuces to see if they are able to assist (check out catchat for local rescues - follow the link and click on your area on the map http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html).  How long have you got until you move to your flat?

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
Hello there

thanks Yvonne for welcoming me to your group

I am in the West Scotland area, near Paisley.

I do hope someone can help me  quickly.
Heather

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs

I posted in similar circumstances to this a while back, hope this might be of use to you. Really hope you can work something out so you can stay together  :hug:

Have a look at this document, it could be argued that a no pets clause is an unfair tenancy agreement...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/unfair_contract_terms/oft356.pdf

There has been a ruling in an EU country that this is the case so just quoting the office of fair trading's guidelines might make them back down.

Edited to add:  Ok that's 100 odd pages long!  Here's an exert on the pets issue from another website... It's in the 'Analysis of other terms considered potentially unfair:'  The eigth one down, the office of fair trading is the best document to refer to, I posted that one because it is bascically a shortened version of that document.

Unreasonable ancillary obligations and restrictions

Terms that put tenants at risk of incurring contractual penalties that are more severe than is necessary to protect the landlord’s real interest in safeguarding his property generally will be considered unfair. Terms restricting a tenant’s use of a property should be reasonable in relation to the type and location of the property. Other examples of unreasonable prohibitions include terms against keeping pets. Such a term has been considered unfair under comparable legislation in another EU state because it could prevent a tenant from keeping a goldfish. A term prohibiting the keeping of pets that could harm the property or be a nuisance to other residents would be unlikely to meet the same objection.

http://www.letlink.co.uk/letting-factsheets/factsheets/factsheet-10b---office-of-fair-trading-guidance-on-unfair-terms-in-tenancy-agreements.html

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
 :welcome:  to the forum Heather

So sorry to hear about your situation

Whereabouts are you?

Good luck with your puss I hope that you are sorted soon.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline scotgirl

• Adult Cat
Hello I am newbie and need urgent help regarding rehoming a older cat
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 21:19:42 PM »
Hello everyone

I have been recommended to join this forum, by someone who responded to my ad on ad trader, who was concerned that I had a free to a good home advert, because some people respond to these adverts to feed their lizards, and snakes, and this has shocked me to the core,  :censored: :-[and makes me physically sick, so I am very frightened of putting any ads now, for my cat, on the likes of ad trader.

The background
I have not long moved into a multi-storey high flat, and have been told by the housing association, that due to a certain multi-storey high flat  act of the law, that I cannot keep my indoor cat. If I risk moving my animal in, I risk losing my house. :scared:

Now I have had my cat for 16 years, and it breaks my heart, to be told that I have to give her up.  I have tried all sorts of avenues, but I am not getting any responses from my ads.
So, I have now come to this forum for advice. :thanks:

I would dearly love to keep my cat, and this housing association claims that I cant.
Is there anyone, on here that can help me, find a decent genuine cat loving home, or the least help me keep my cat with me in my high flat(she is indoor cat and no probs healthwise)

Many thanks, I know this is my first posting, but I appreciate, all responses and advice that anyone can give me
regards from Heather
Heather

Link to CatChat