Author Topic: 6 mth old Birman needs a buddy - HELP!  (Read 2958 times)

Offline catmad

• Kitten
Re: 6 mth old Birman needs a buddy - HELP!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2007, 13:32:23 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! x  :thanks:

Bennie def seems more hyper than most Birmans (could be down to his age tho). He seems pretty similar to a rex in the fact that you cant do anything in our house without Bennie trying to help - including bathing, washing up, laundry etc he only really dozes at bedtime (in our bed!). Hes also very vocal too not like i expected! - supposed to be a quiet breed i thought! hehe he likes to tell me about his day, shouting at the pigeons in the garden, demanding to play hide n seek or to let me know hes left me a present in the litter tray which is always a delight!

The OH has his heart set on the Devon  ;D and i do think they are pretty cute in a non furball way! We'll just have to do some more homework!

xxxxxx

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2007, 21:50:56 PM »
I've never met a devon who wasn't completely nuts  ;D  Mosi's breeder has a Devon who's a right little terror.   They are lovely cats but extremely lively, crazy and potentially destructive!  What's your Birman like re energy levels?  A devon could be too energetic for him, but as he's young they'll maybe be ok together.  Whatever breed/cat you go for the best thing is to try and match the energy levels.  All kittens are fairly hyper but some will calm down considerably once they reach adulthood while others will stay kittenish for years.  It's not always easy to predict how they will grow up but bear in mind Devons tend to stay kittenish throughout their adult lives.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2007, 20:45:00 PM »
Devon's are very people oriented cats ... they are also like to be high up ... top or doors, bookselves, shoulders etc!

Devons, unlike other cats, will also wag their tails when they are happy!!

http://www.devonrex.com/faq/faq.cfm

http://www.users.bigpond.com/barsenal1/drpersonality.html
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 20:38:45 PM »
Pictures Angie please  ;D

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2007, 19:18:57 PM »
we have a birman in at present though not ready for rehoming as he was a 'stray'. he was seen playing with a mate but no-one has seen that one.

Offline catmad

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 09:37:32 AM »
Hi guys thank you so much for your replies - I will get OH to upload piccies of Bennie Benito for u all to see! :)

i think we have decided to get a Devon Rex  :wow: (obv we dont mind our house getting ruined in the name of cat play! hehe) i will keep u all posted as it wont be until the end of Feb. In the meantime if anyone has any inside info on the Devon that we should know about please let us know!!!!!

:thanks:

xxxxxxxx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 17:49:41 PM »
I have two birmans who came into my house hold about 7 months after the two big cats and the two pairs do not get on that well. The birmans are very territorrial but it maybe their background and they are also older.

I think your birman will prpbably accept any cat as long as the other cat is friendly and fairly laid back, one of a similiar age would be a good idea.

lets have some pictures of your birman , there are a few of us here now with birmans  ;D ;D

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 15:07:26 PM »
The only thing i would advise from experience of trying to introduce 2 females,
 is to get one of the opposite sex
 I'm sure others may disagree
but that was my experience we had two cats brother and sister we lost our beautiful boy last summer
And abby seemed lost without him WE did not want another boy as it was a male problem that we lost him to
But the female rescue cat would not get on with our cat despite trying the things as advised on CC ( she had her own set of problems anyway)
We now have a lovely black and white boy who incidently was found in a box in a friends neighbours garden so we rescued him
They have their ups and downs but get on very well and can sometimes be found washing each other lol

Offline catmad

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 15:01:59 PM »
were based in sutton coldfield (west mids) we'd love a tabby boy if anyone knows of any in need of a good home! :thanks:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 14:56:00 PM »
 :welcome:

I wouldnt have thought it wouldnt matter what breed you got, you could just get a moggie !
What area are you in ?   There does seem to be quiet a few kittens about at the moment

Offline NatalieMT

• Kitten
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 14:23:01 PM »
Apparently Birmans aren't fussed about whether their companion is another Birman, a different type of pedigree cat or just a moggy. My parents used to have one and it got on fine with all the other pets that were introduced to it. So I guess it's up to you what you get really and what will suit you best!

If you feel like another Birman then go for it or maybe try another breed but perhaps something with a similar temperament. I don't know a lot about many breeds, in the past I've had a Burmese. It was an experience I have to say - they're noisy and quite highly strung. My new love is the British Blue - such lovely, sweet cats with a fantastic nature. Maybe it'd help to do some research on breeds and choose one to suit?

Or the alternative is to visit a local shelter, they always have kittens/cats and you'd be giving one a great home. It wouldn't necessarily want to go outside, many people have non pedigrees that are indoor cats and if you live by a main road it's the safest option by far.

Anyway good luck finding a new addition!  :)

Offline catmad

• Kitten
6 mth old Birman needs a buddy - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 13:29:07 PM »
 ;)

hi guys im new to this site but i used to use Cat Chat so hello to everyone!!!
we have a 6 month old Birman whos an absolute sweetheart but we feel he needs a buddy. We take him to my moms every few weeks for the day and she has a cat who he follows around - much to her dislike as shes 18 and grumpy!
He is a very cuddly cat, undemanding and has a kind temprement (typical Birman i suppose!) andloves to play so we feel he could benefit from some feline conversation!
Has anyone got any thoughts on the best breed we could consider or to avoid? Bennie is a house cat only so the new arrival would have to be ok with being confined indoors as we live on a very busy main road (and have prev lost 2 cats). We would gladly have a non pedigree also but are worried they would want to go outside so any info would be much appreciated!! 

Link to CatChat