Author Topic: Kitten care in the Sudan!  (Read 18540 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Kitten care in the Sudan!
« Reply #105 on: July 16, 2008, 21:04:31 PM »
Great stuff John. I hope that our little bit helped relieve your mind. Lazarus is simply stunning. Well done you.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2008, 20:56:55 PM »
Hi John great to hear from you.  Laz is simply stunning .. he probably won't like me to say this but he is VERY PRETTY ... gorgeous eyes.

He is a credit to all your hardwork and care ... I hope you and he will have many happy years together.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2008, 20:49:52 PM »
Great to hear from you John and wonderful to see Lazarus looking so well,you have truly worked miracles with him.

Aint that the truth...

:Luv:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2008, 20:23:36 PM »
JOhn, he is GORGEOUS! what a fabulous looking kitten! You must be so proud!!! Well done you, it can not have been easy in those conditions!!! :wow:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2008, 20:22:31 PM »
Great to hear from you John and wonderful to see Lazarus looking so well,you have truly worked miracles with him.

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2008, 20:17:13 PM »
Dear All!
Sorry I haven't got back to anyone on this in months but just wanted to say thanks so much to everyone for their help in handrearing a kitten in Sudan! Lazarus sruvived and is definately alive and kicking and sometimes biting in Sudan, see pic attached!

Thanks again,

John

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: April 22, 2008, 13:16:50 PM »
Hi John any news on Laz?

Hope you are both OK.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2008, 19:41:31 PM »
what a little cutie :wow:  :Luv:
you are doing a wonderful job with him John, as others have said, a little ground mince would be a good start, mix it with a little boiled and cooled water so it is mushy (I only suggest boiling the water because I assume your water supplies are unreliable. If you have good water then no need to boil it). The aid parcel will probably also contain some solid foods for you. Hope it has gotten there safely or is nearby ...

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2008, 18:15:28 PM »
Looks like you are doing great work there John!  And I am bumping this up so that one or more of our resident kitten experts can advise you about the next stage of food plan for Lazarus  :)
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2008, 18:02:33 PM »
Hi John,

Laz is gorgeous and looks so cute.

With regards to "raw feeding" the following link may be of interest: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13328.0.html

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2008, 16:29:07 PM »
Aw bless he is really coming on leaps and bounds!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2008, 16:08:19 PM »
Hi John

Hopefully our package should be with you soon, with a few extras for feeding in there.

The more experienced lot will know about feeding, I just wanted to say he's adorable and if you weren't so far away I'd be thinking of catnapping him!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2008, 16:04:54 PM »
He is gorgeous and if he was in UK it would be kitten food solids I guess but I am sure one of the experts will advise  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2008, 16:03:48 PM »
I guess as commercial cat food isn't available there, I wonder if you could feed him a raw diet? - If you can get ground meat (including bone), you can add vitamins to it - It is actually a lot better than any ready made stuff. I have seen variants so hopefully Gillian or someone else that feeds raw can advise the best mix. From what I remember, you add water,  b complex, vitamin E and taurine but I'm not sure of proportions.

Great looking kitten  :)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2008, 16:00:54 PM »
Aw, he's so cute!!

I'm not sure about the food but theres some very knowledgeable people on here who will know the right thing for him.

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2008, 15:52:08 PM »
Hey all, quick kitten update :) see pic, he is doing well and still amazingly cute. Any idea what I should feed the kitten now he has teeth?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: April 02, 2008, 18:38:29 PM »
Hey JOhn, hope you've had your shots  :rofl: Glad to hear you are still on top of things and Lazarus is doing well. We really do appreciate just how hard it must be for you out there. Take care of your self, won't you!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #88 on: April 02, 2008, 15:11:50 PM »
So pleased he is okay and you are of course  :hug:  If you can think of anything that you may like sending over for yourself as a little thankyou for helping this little guy, let me know before I send off the package  :hug:

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2008, 15:10:23 PM »
Wow! you guys are amazing, just caught up on this and just wanted to say that I am proud to be a purrs member  :hug:

I have gotten Zooplus to donate before (when I did the Christmas collection 2006) and they sent me two HUGE bags of Royal Canin and a litter tray  -so its worth a try I suppose?? They seemed very generous. They said they would "send something" and then a big box arrived. Wonder if they would ship to Kenya though.

Again a big  :hug: to Ruth, Dawn and T and of course John  :hug:

Hey all! sorry for radio silence. I am currently in a place called Yei in Sudan in the midst of a cholera outbreak. Lazarus is getting bigger and bigger but remaining blue eyed and adorable. Until Friday he is being taken care of by a friend who has been supplied with enough Kitten Gloop to sink a ship and a telephone directory of kitten advise. I am sure he'll be fine. Can't wait to get this package! Everything you have suggested sounds great!

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #86 on: April 01, 2008, 21:37:50 PM »
Wow! you guys are amazing, just caught up on this and just wanted to say that I am proud to be a purrs member  :hug:

I have gotten Zooplus to donate before (when I did the Christmas collection 2006) and they sent me two HUGE bags of Royal Canin and a litter tray  -so its worth a try I suppose?? They seemed very generous. They said they would "send something" and then a big box arrived. Wonder if they would ship to Kenya though.

Again a big  :hug: to Ruth, Dawn and T and of course John  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #85 on: April 01, 2008, 20:45:16 PM »
Hope everything is okay with John and Lazarus, anyone had any updates on how the little one is doing?

I think we've managed to get everything together now for the parcel that's going to John, all I'm waiting for now is the prescription off Trevor which hopefully will be done tomorrow.  I'm not sure of the weight as yet but no doubt this will be a nice surprise when I go to the post office  :shocked: , hopefully everything arrives safely and the gorgeous Lazarus grows up to be strong and healthy  :Luv:  :Luv:

John, if you can think of anything else you want sending, let me know and I'll see what I can do  :hug:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 20:46:28 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2008, 13:18:30 PM »
Hi Barney,

The situation with Samui was different to this one, though that option has been considered. It's not much different to offering help from here, so we'll see what we can achieve.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2008, 09:56:05 AM »
Without wanting to step on anyones toes, but there was a recent thread about Samui and paying a vet in South Africa and this was a success. So would it not be possible to use there services again? Pay them a fee and ask them to post the items. Just a thought, but I'm sure you guy's at 'international rescue' know better.. ;D

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2008, 06:54:19 AM »
Thanks for all of this guys, I am completely bowled over! Lazarus is doing well, as am I, things are a little bit heating up over here but not around my area right now, thanks for concern. Can I help with the organisation of any of this?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2008, 20:28:53 PM »
I have got some of the baby kitten dry sample homing packs here.

Thanks T, I've got some coming on Monday,  so I'll see what the weight is when we sort the other stuff and take it from there.  Ideally we need to keep it to no more than 5 kgs.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2008, 19:47:55 PM »
Yes we've tried VetUk though not Zooplus. Due to the time though we won't get any response before Monday so we can approach that avenue if and when. For now this shipment is covered, but later shipments we might be able to encourage some donations from Zooplus or the like.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2008, 18:38:32 PM »
there have been recent attacks on aid workers (not John's organisation, thank heaven) resulting in deaths .........  :(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2008, 18:37:23 PM »
Thanks Jo, not seen or heard news yet

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2008, 18:36:10 PM »
nope, but I imagine (from recent news reports) that he has a lot of other things to contend with other than keeping us updated .......

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2008, 18:35:14 PM »
Anyone heard from John today?

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2008, 18:09:55 PM »
Nice to know they can't see the marketing potential there!  ;)

have we tried VetUK or Zooplus and putting the hit on them?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2008, 17:21:38 PM »
I have got some of the baby kitten dry sample homing packs here.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2008, 17:02:05 PM »
Nice to know they can't see the marketing potential there!  ;)

PM me when you know how much we have to buy

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2008, 16:31:03 PM »
Just spoke to Royal Canin and the lady I spoke to said all they can do is send some kitten samples out to me and that was it  :tired:  I asked if there was any possibility of milk or being sent direct and she said no  :sneaky:  Not to worry, it was worth a try anyway  :)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2008, 14:09:37 PM »
Dawn ask Trevor pls for prescription for 2 months supply of wormers and a box of the frontline pipettes (which should cover him for 6 months), and especially in Sudan the baby will need to be Frontlined once a month.

Otherwise you judge the amount of food and other meds. I'd say a couple months supply for everything and then we can try to help John find a vet in Kenya/southern Sudanese borders.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2008, 13:54:42 PM »
I dont mind trying but I think you are cheekier than me Dawn (no offence meant) also you have the details .

:innocent:  :evillaugh:  I'll ring them shortly, just waiting for a phone call about these other cats that need sorting and I'll get onto it.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2008, 13:13:43 PM »
OMG you guys are truly amazing ..... I love the way everyone just pulls together on projects like this.

I really am so proud to "know" you.  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 09:57:44 AM »
That's a good idea T. I'm just getting together a list of how much we need of everything so Dawn can order it.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2008, 09:24:13 AM »
Why dont we ring Royal Canin and ask them to donate a few months supply of food to Lazarus, they could post direct it would certainly be good PR for them and save us postage ;I dont mind trying but I think you are cheekier than me Dawn (no offence meant) also you have the details . The babycat Royal canin can be mixed with any amount of water to get Lazarus weaned, maybe RC could be persuaded to donate babycat and kittendry  and  the milk.
Think the canaural maybe surplus to requirements if using stronghold.
Perhaps some wound powder or Fuciderm cream just in case.

Hoping Lazarus and John are ok this morning.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2008, 00:47:52 AM »
I'll be going to the vets tomorrow so I'm going to have a chat with Trevor to see what he thinks would handle the post better.  I think with the pipettes as well, they are small and lightweight so won't take up much room.  Stronghold and Frontline, are they for kittens 6 weeks and over?  Ruth and I have also been discussing wormers and wondering whether to get a powder or whether Milbemax kitten tablet would be better, again I think the tablets are for 6 weeks and over so would have to double check.  Stronghold would kill round worms anyway so the milbemax would be okay waiting until he's old enough.  Up to now the list would include:

wormer
Flea treatment
Kitten Milk
Kitten Sachets - I tell you what I have got but may cause some controversy but will save pennies, Buddies sent me a load of kitten packs but they are Iams, both dried food and wet  :shy:  I have got some Royal Canin kitten packs coming if peeps prefer these to be sent and we can buy sachets separate.
Syringes
Synulux Palatable drops
Fuciphalmic Eye Ointment
Electrolyte
Canural

If anyone can think of anything else that needs to be added, as my head is frazzled tonight  :tired:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 00:50:07 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Link to CatChat