Author Topic: Kitten care in the Sudan!  (Read 18566 times)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
Re: Kitten care in the Sudan!
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2008, 22:24:20 PM »
Ruth you saw me using Frontline spray. I tend to use Kitten stronghold now, I think pipettes would handle the post better.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2008, 21:42:46 PM »
Teresa I know uses a kitten spray but have no idea if that's a combo since i've only ever used ampules on Lexy.  I do recall seeing Teresa use it on the terrible angelic four before Ellie and I absconded with three of them  :naughty: and it looked relatively easy to use and manageable.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2008, 20:12:59 PM »
think I'll leave that to those of you with more recent experience than mine .............  :scared:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2008, 20:10:20 PM »
Ruth contacted me earlier and Ian has sent her links for sites to the manufacturers and not actually offered to provide the stuff  :tired:  so I had a chat with Trevor (owner of surgery) and he's agreed to do a prescription for me and supply us with whatever John will need.  The first thing he asked after I explained was "so you're not going over to collect it then"   :Crazy:  :Crazy:  Not sure what he's trying to say  :sneaky:

We will need frontline but will the frontline kitten drops be better than a spray as these will be lighter?  We'll have to compose a list of what and how much we need  :shy:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 20:14:28 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 19:54:44 PM »
phew! it's the little things that count, lol ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 19:52:51 PM »
can I also suggest that with the kitten milk you send a kitten feeding bottle

I've ordered Royal Canin kitten milk which comes with a bottle  ;)

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2008, 18:18:24 PM »
can I also suggest that with the kitten milk you send a kitten feeding bottle as I suspect John is currently reduced to either a syringe or to soaking cotton fabric for the kitten to suck. Am happy to pitch in financially as it is payday tomorrow, so someone PM me somewhere to send money. Also, perhaps a few small cans of kitten wet food to start weaning Lazarus when the time comes.

Some sterile wipes may also be useful, though I suspect John can get them where he is, but those medical supplies are for humans in dire conditions, so if we can provide them he won't have to raid local supplies.

Also maybe some puppy training pads to line the sling John may be using to keep the kitten with him during his day.

How exciting!!! Purrs to the Rescue Internationale!!!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2008, 18:10:17 PM »
You are wonderful people  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2008, 14:16:41 PM »
Thanks peeps. Between you and Dawn T, we can get a good list of supplies to send out. Don't worry about cost both of you, I'll sort that, you need that for both your rescues.

:Flowers: You are so kind!  :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2008, 12:37:56 PM »
Thanks peeps. Between you and Dawn T, we can get a good list of supplies to send out. Don't worry about cost both of you, I'll sort that, you need that for both your rescues.

I'm just waiting back on a response from VetUk to see how they can help, they might even be able to provide some of this at cost to them. I'll see about food as well T, we can get some from VetUk too at the same time if necessary.

I didn't think about syringes so will see about getting those too.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
Both are handy to have, I always keep the liquid concentrate to hand great for sick adults and bottlefeds.
Fucithalmic eye ointment another good thing to have in emergency box.
Lazarus is going to be ready to start weaning in another week or so,how can we get kitten food to him?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2008, 12:20:44 PM »
the royal canin liquid concentrate food(comes in powdered form) are handy standbys in case of emergencies along with syringes.

Would this be better than the normal RC kitten milk or as well as?

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
Ruth if your happy to do the leg work I will chip in with the cost. Apart from wormers,flea treatment and antibiotics, things like Electrolyte and the royal canin liquid concentrate food(comes in powdered form) are handy standbys in case of emergencies along with syringes.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
Ruth, I'm pm'd the address to you so you can give it to Ian with the order  :hug:

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2008, 12:13:39 PM »
Send me a list and I'll get onto that this afternoon  :hug:
Thanks guys, have passed on address to DD!  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
Send me a list and I'll get onto that this afternoon  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
I've just asked Ian. Since he ships all over the UK we might be able to purchase direct from him and he can ship it to John in Kenya. I've asked him about the milk. What we might need Dawn and if you can swing it, is to have Sean provide a prescription for everything we might need, including the flea treatment, wormers (just in case) and we can send that to Ian and he can ship?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 12:06:34 PM »
Okay, let me know when you hear  :hug:  Other thing that may be worth considering sending in the event that the little one gets unwell, is some Synulux Palatable Drops for kittens.  As you know kittens can come down with all sorts, and treatment is needed asap and as there is no access to the vet etc over there, these would be worth John keeping in stock.  They come in a powder form initially and they are made up with water when needed.  If you have any problems getting anything, I can get stuff through my vet, not a problem  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »
We need to check though as it might be considered food instead of medication. LEt me check with VetUK if we can classify it as that. If we can I can buy some direct from him together with all the other stuff. But if it is classed as food stuff you can send it but might have to pay duties. LEt me check.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »
Should I send the kitten milk separate  :shy:  I was just thinking if I post it to you and then it has to be posted on again, it's more time wasted.  I put my order in today and I should receive it Monday, not sure how long it would take to get to Kenya  :shy:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2008, 11:53:37 AM »
Cool Dawn. Might be more cost effective if we send one package with wormer, kitten frontline or the like?

Am happy to send it out myself, might speak to VetUk and see if Ian can make sure he sends me a prescription for medications so that customs allow it through?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
I've got to put an order in with RC today so I can order some kitten milk for the little one if that's any help, I've asked John for details and I can get it into the post as soon as I receive my order.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 11:53:10 AM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2008, 11:48:17 AM »
PM me with the address detaisl John, will discuss with the others what we can send you to tide you over. Will you be ok with customs from here to Kenya?

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »
According to the Sudanese Customs website, Human and Veterinary medications should have approval from the Pharmacological Directorate and be pharmacy approved. Maybe John will know if its fairly simple to ship something out. Just looks like it has to be declared and approved locally.
Thats a really sweet idea Teresa thanks! So appreciated. I have a postal office address in Kenya as there is no functioning postal system in South Sudan (in the North - like Khartoum- there is but it is hard to get stuff down here because of border tensions). So something can be sent there... I can private message someone the address, maybe?
Cheers!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2008, 08:35:27 AM »
According to the Sudanese Customs website, Human and Veterinary medications should have approval from the Pharmacological Directorate and be pharmacy approved. Maybe John will know if its fairly simple to ship something out. Just looks like it has to be declared and approved locally.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »
Excellent news!! Well done.

T, John himself might know of this. I think there might be a few logistical issues but I'll have a squizz online now and see if we have a way.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2008, 08:27:08 AM »
John that is excellent news.
I am wondering if we could legally get a small parcel of things to you like kitten wormer,flea treatment etc. perhaps someone will have an idea as to the legalities.

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »
Well John, Greatness has seemingly been thrust upon you in the form of a kitten.

Well done for caring for Lazerus as well as you have in light of the conditions, you must be thrilled!

Keep up the good Work, Please do keep us posted!
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2008, 06:27:55 AM »
morning John, glad to hear he has pooped! ;D you will find it is the little things that make all this so rewarding  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2008, 06:27:05 AM »
Hi John
He will poop when he is ready, keep trying sometimes kitchen roll stimulates better than cotton wool as it is similar in texture to mother cats tongue, failing that use your bare finger, sometimes it needs very patient and gentle stimulation, once he starts the floodgates will open.
Your doing a great job. :hug:
Bang on! he did, thanks for advice

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
Hi John
He will poop when he is ready, keep trying sometimes kitchen roll stimulates better than cotton wool as it is similar in texture to mother cats tongue, failing that use your bare finger, sometimes it needs very patient and gentle stimulation, once he starts the floodgates will open.
Your doing a great job. :hug:

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:31 AM »
Thanks all for the assistance! His eyes are open - black cat, and his ears are beginning to stand up, though he is still shaky walkig around.

Peeing seems to be no worries but he is definately not going for any no. 2s! Is this normal? I am feeding him a kitty gloop recipe -  can I expect him to not go for a poo until I feed him solids?
Am a little bit concerned about size of his belly, and whether that is related.
Thanks again everyone for the help!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 00:19:06 AM »
Well done John on helping this little kitten and also on what you are doing in Sudan, people like you deserve a medal  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2008, 19:09:43 PM »
I have been snooping today but didn't get a chance to post - just wanted to say well done on all you are doing for this gorgeous baby  :grouphug: Lazarus is gorgeous!  :wow:

Lovely to hear you will keep him, and look forward to more piccies!!

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 18:29:53 PM »
Well done John, on both fronts, the kitten seems in safe hands and the work you are all doing over there is wonderful - I am full of admiration!
You won't catch me about during the day because sadly I have to trek up to London in the mornings. I am usually on line first thing (around 6am) or in the evenings. But to be frank Teresa is the expert here and has years of experience running a rescue. Fortunately I have never had to hand raise a kitten (though I have had my fair share of puppies, goats and poultry, lol). Just carry on as you are and you should hopefully get a good outcome if the kitten is otherwise healthy. He looks lovely BTW - a silver tabby? And such a lovely wee face. His eyes are still shut, I assume.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 17:56:33 PM »
Have just caught up with this, John.
Well done you for saving this tiny one. Praying that Lazarus will survive and grow strong.
Thanks for all you are doing. x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 17:29:04 PM »
Cant add anymore advice as you have been given 1st class advice already so just going to say Good Luck, Hope Lazarus continues to do well (what a great name) and also just wanted to say that i admire you and the work you do in the Sudan. We had a lady from our Church who was out there for years as a missionary xxx

Offline livinginsudan

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 17:05:16 PM »
Hi John and Lazarus  :welcome: to Purrs,

So glad you found us and pleased to hear Lazarus is now weeing  :evillaugh:

You are doing a wonderful job looking after the little fella I assume he will be "your" cat after all this?

We would love to hear more about the Sudan and what an ex-pat is doing out there ... apart from handrearing a tiny kitten  :rofl:

All the best and give little Lazarus a cuddle from all his new Purrs friends.

Sam

Will do!!  :thanks: for the welcome all. I work for an agency called Medair, and am about to take over leading their country programme in South Sudan www.medair.org <- if you want details. This cat will absolutely be mine after all this :) , handrearing is not a side business I plan on getting into here!
poo update coming soon I hope!!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 16:27:59 PM »
Hi John and Lazarus  :welcome: to Purrs,

So glad you found us and pleased to hear Lazarus is now weeing  :evillaugh:

You are doing a wonderful job looking after the little fella I assume he will be "your" cat after all this?

We would love to hear more about the Sudan and what an ex-pat is doing out there ... apart from handrearing a tiny kitten  :rofl:

All the best and give little Lazarus a cuddle from all his new Purrs friends.

Sam
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 16:19:40 PM »
Aw kitty is beautiful....so glad he/she has had a pee pee......sending positive vibes for the other~~~~~~~ :hug:

Link to CatChat