Author Topic: Offering Loving Home  (Read 20211 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: Offering Loving Home
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
Hi Pandora

I am in Gosport, just across the Harbour from you.

What sort of age cat are you looking for.  I deal mainly with orphan kittens so mine are normally quite young and, at the moment, I only have two two week old kittens in, which ironically are black female, and black and white male.  One person on here may have first refusal on them if her homecheck falls through for some other babes she is hoping to adopt, but i never know what I may get in between now and April.

If you let me know more details of age etc that you are looking for, I can always let you know if I get a suitable little furbabe in.

Lesley xx
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:32:52 AM »
That's what I was thinking. Also Ron in Brighton isn't a million miles away.

I can't see the point of adopting from miles away when there are cats needing homes locally.

There are a few in Portsmouth/Southampton
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/hants.html
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:36:05 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »
Aw... Hampshire!! Now, who do we know in Hampshire??  :shify: ;)

How about Lesley?  :shy:
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 08:28:55 AM by Pinkbear »

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:23:43 AM »
Pandora, I adopted Smidgen from Cheshire (I live in Kent) and while it was a long drive, as long as you have planned for contingencies like accidental pooping etc it is not an unreasonable journey if the cat is just right for you. Smidgen was completely fine with the journey and shared the back seat with my dog, Shadow, who he had met at his own home before joining us. I wonder if you are being a wee bit inflexible by imposing such an arbitrary limit on journey time? It really depends on the cat as to what is a reasonable journey ...

Offline Harna

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:20:58 AM »
Hi - regarding home checks - I was home-checked by my local RSPCA branch just over a year ago when I adopted a pair of cats from them. I have recently seen some cats in a different RSPCA home (quite a drive from where I live and well out of their local catchment for rehoming) and have very easily arranged for my homecheck forms to be faxed over from my area to this one.

I suppose that, dependent on whether an organisation or a small independent rescue centre carried out your suitability assessment, you might be able to request the same - or at least get them to call and vouch for you, should you find your dream cat somewhere else!

I have also not had any problem giving a home to 'rescued' cats with a small child - my daughter was 4 when we took on our last two and, like you, we had raised her in a multi-cat household and she knew to respect them and not pull them around (which I think is the fear that some rescue centres have.)

I wish you luck in your search!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 23:03:17 PM »
Oh that is too far away from here and can not be reached in an hour.  I also wonder if it is even possible to adopt outside an area because of home checks, even though I was checked by a rescue in February only or if there are exceptions etc.  I can only add that I am genuine in my persuit and not a time waster. 

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 22:52:18 PM »
I presume you have tried Swansea CP? They seem to have alot of black and white cats in their care.

http://www.swanseacats.blogspot.com/
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline pandora

• Adult Cat
Offering Loving Home
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 21:45:01 PM »
I have three gorgeous cats and I have made up my mind that I can offer one more rescue cat a loving home at the start of April- during the school holidays, as I am a teacher. I am in Hampshire and have my own house away from very busy roads and my cats only have access (via a catflap that was specially planned into a build in kitchen even before they came here) to an enclosed garden area-in fact my two older ones have never been anywhere other than the garden area since they have been here.

My two older cats are 8 in April and I have had them for over five years now and the young one will turn 1 in April. (they all have birthdays together...) There are two male(one is the younger one) and one female.  They are all triple vaccinated, flea treated regularly,groomed, wormed regularly, chipped and neutered. They have access to a safe garden area and live a pretty luxurious life in my view, lounging around the place on soft spots and being played with a lot.  They are also all on PetPlan for insurance and see the vet for check ups regularly.

I have a young child (3 soon) who has grown up with cats and who is very good with them, playing and learning how to take care of them. I know that some rescues are saying 'no' to children and cats but luckily some are more open minded about that-hence my last successful adption. He was well behaved at the rescue when we looked at the cats and he impressed them with his careful approach to the cats, some of which ended up standing on him, which he thought was fun.

So the question is: Are there any significant differences in integrating neutered females or males into a group? And is it possible for a slightly more mature cat (say up to 8 years) to be integrated into a group? I know that it might be more difficult but is it possible to work out well? My vet was pleased about my intentions of adopting a cat that may be older or overlooked a lot.  The only thing is that I don't want ot totally upset the balance here at the moment and I have been told that another female would cause more problems than a male and younger is better than older.  I suppose finding an age equal to my 10 months old one makes sense as I will then have two age pairs.

I want to get this right because the last choice was a good one as the young cat is now part of the family, even though my female is not over the moon with him (Yet they co exist on mutual terms), my male likes him and they cuddle up together and play.

I do have a local rescue who recently did their home check and said I could have another one from them but I thought it would be nice to widen the options.  I am williing to travel within an hour from here (Southsea) to avoid the cat getting too stressed on a journey.  I would love to have a black or black and white one as they are overlooked a lot.

Link to CatChat