Author Topic: SPECIAL APPEAL - Please Help me save Samui's eye  (Read 61675 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: SPECIAL APPEAL - Please Help me save Samui's eye
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2008, 10:37:11 AM »
Thanks Mark, we actually cross posted this in Lana's two threads in General, one under the newbies section, and then again under the CAt Stories where photos of Samui were posted by Gill.

Lana, email me the photos, I'll PM you my email address, and I'll post them for you.

We've hit £200!

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2008, 10:31:08 AM »
 :thanks: to everyone that have made a donation so far!  I just logged on and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw what was raised yesterday.  I received two images of Samui's eye the day he arrived at the eye clinic, I don't know where or how to put them on here though? 
You have all change made a difference in Samui's life and in mine.  Thanks to each and everyone!!!
"Be the change you seek in the world"

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
Just wondered if the appeal could be cross-posted in general as I and I'm sure others sometimes unintentionally "ignore" some of the sections.

I am making a donation now - Good luck with Samui - I know it must have been difficult for you to ask but you quite rightly put him first when other people might have done otherwise - sending good wishes to you both  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:49 AM »
At close of play last night, we had £185 raised. How fantastic is that! You are wonderful, generous people.  We're not far off the target though we will certainly try our best.  :thanks:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
I think we need more photos of this gorgeous lad Samui  :Luv: :Luv:- he is just wonderful and is lucky to have such a loving Mum.

Speedy recovery Handsome lad xxxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2008, 21:46:19 PM »
What a beautiful boy he is!  Good luck with the operation and hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2008, 20:56:34 PM »
 :thanks: Sue and Paddy.  :Luv:

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2008, 20:55:18 PM »
Hope Samui will make a really good recovery.  Sending a little something from Paddy to speed him on his way.   :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2008, 20:18:14 PM »
Sarah, thank you. That's really generous.  :thanks:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008, 20:03:12 PM »
What a really sad story...  but Samuii is beautiful and worth all of the effort.

Bit skint at the mo... but small donation heading your way anyway guys.  Its a pleasure to be able to help such a brave wee man as Samuii.

:hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008, 19:40:01 PM »
Thats wonderful Purrs peeps..............I love you all  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Just remember £1 or even 50p, you dont have to worry about how little the amount is cos it all adds up at end of day  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008, 19:09:52 PM »
Sure thing, if you're transferring from an SA bank to another it will cost little for the transfer.  Will PM you the details, though if you could let me know the amount so we can ensure its accounted for in the total.

If we have a day tomorrow like we did today, we will be very fortunate.

Wait for it, you lovely people have helped us raise a whopping £150 today alone.

Thank you so very very much!  :Flowers:

:thanks: :thanks: :thanks:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 19:16:20 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008, 18:47:46 PM »
Hiya, I'd be happy to help out a little bit but can you pm me with the SA bank details as I'd rather pay in rands? Gary Bauer is the opthalmologist who sorted out my Swampy's eye in C'Town and I know that Clinic are very expensive. I can't do that much, but guess every little helps. Samui's lovely. Tell Gary to look after him properly!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 16:00:07 PM »
Early days yet but thinks we must have a small bit  ;D

More needed I am sure and all the little bits add up  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 15:56:35 PM »
How are we doing so far? - Sent something small for this lovely lad.

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 14:51:33 PM »
Hi Gill

Many thanks. Yes, I do have a paypal account so will do it that way. Stupid me, never thought of that!!
Linda   :)

Edited to add : Thanks Ruth :hug:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 14:53:06 PM by gibraltarcat »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 14:48:48 PM »
Sure hon, you can actually go direct to www.paypal.com and send money from a debit or credit card. You don't need a paypal account, just a valid email address and card.

Just copy the address of who you are paying purrs@purrsinourhearts.co.uk and that is who you pay.

Thank you so much for your generosity.  :Luv:

Edited to add: oh yea. also what Gill said!! :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 14:49:22 PM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 14:47:12 PM »
Hi gib cat  ;D

Do you have a paypal account?

If so open it, go to send money and put in the purrs email addy below and then donate.

If not you can go to the Purrs shop and donate through there but put a message on to say its for samui.

It maybe the shop alloww only a set amount and if so, please pm me or better still Kittybabe(ruth) and she will help  ;D

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 14:44:29 PM »
Hi Kittybabe (Ruth ) or Tan

I can't open the Purrs Paypal site. I think it's because I have Outlook instead of Outlook Express. Any advice please how i can get round this to donate a small amount?
Thanks x

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 14:04:39 PM »
 :thanks: to everyone who is helping with this and for everyone who is making a donation.  Again this means more to me then I can ever begin to put in words.
DANKIE!!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 13:56:07 PM »
Samui is indeed gorgeous and I appeal to all, as staff worked on this so hard yesterday, special thanks to Ruth, to even give a pound. Do not be embarassed how little you could help cos if only a couple of hundred members gave a pound the total will be almost there.  ;D

So please Purrs people ...................  :help: :donate2: :cuddle:

I am not rich right now but a small donation is being sent  :hug:

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 13:00:46 PM »
Welcome to Purrs Lana, just wish it was under better circumstances for Samui though.  Good luck to you and he for a speedy recovery, he is gorgeous. 

Have sent a little something to help. :Luv2:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:11:46 PM »
It's okay, I completely understand!  I went about it in a very wrong way!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:06:15 PM »
 :welcome: lana, sorry to be have been suspicous of your first post but sadly criminals have no qulams targetting doting animal lovers  :(

Samui is a very handsome chap  :Luv:

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:04:04 PM »
Hi Everyone

I just want to thank each and everyone for helping me to help Samui - like I said I don't know how to begin to say thank you.  I'll keep you all updated on the progress Samui is making, and I'll try to get some pre-op and post-op pics.
I don't know what Sullivan is going to do with Samui back, because he was looking for Samui all over the house the first few days and he has become very talkative and usually he is very quiet and Samui is the talker, I am sure Samui is going to have some competition in that department when he gets home!

Thanks again everyone!!!!
Lana 

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 11:36:34 AM »
He is gorgeous and I love his name  :Luv:  :Luv:  Fingers crossed enough money is raised for this gorgeous lad  :Luv2:  I think we all know how it feels when it comes to our furbabes and it's obvious how much this darling boy means to his mum  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
SPECIAL APPEAL - Please Help me save Samui's eye
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 11:30:42 AM »
Alrighty Peeps! 

We are treating this as a special appeal outside of our normal annual fundraisers.

We know that Lana's first post might have put a few of you (us!) on the wary train, so we thought that if we were to consider helping Lana we needed to know as much about the gorgeous Samui as we could before we made a decision to help. As you know, we take very seriously any fundraising we do, and we verify the recipient of every single fundraising effort we have ever performed in the past. We thought it important that you knew, if we chose to assist in this that we have done everything we can to verify the funds are indeed going where they need to.

I asked a family friend in South Africa, who is Chairman of the Animal Anti Cruelty League http://www.aacl.co.za/ (as a courtesy for the help he gave me yesterday I am posting this link for anyone interested in seeing the good work done there) to help me verify the details provided by Lana. He knows Dr. Bauer the ophthalmic surgeon who performed the surgery on Samui and verified that the clinic is indeed the best in the region, and that Samui is in the clinic and is recovering from this surgery. The treatment is expensive and no other clinics in the area (which geographically speaking is fairly large) perform this type of surgery.  The clinic details can be found here: http://www.camc.co.za/

Lana gambled. She knew that it was either Samui losing his good eye and living his life blind, or having this surgery which would give him a chance at as normal a life as possible. Lana has taken all of her savings (R9,000 - about £583) and is paying that to the clinic today. The full cost of the bill, including the ICU costs will come to R13,585.04. 

Lana is on a low wage, her monthly income is less than that of someone on minimum wage in the UK. She has come to us for help as she has exhausted avenues local to her to help her pay this. In essence she is desperate, and we have decided that whilst this is not a rescue case in the UK, we are going to try to help.

In her own words:

I know I gambled when i went ahead with the operation but I couldn't just leave it at that.  I would do anything for my cats, they really mean the world to me.  I know some people might think I am crazy for what I have done, but Samui is my sweetheart and he has always been there for me and it is difficult to explain that to someone. 

I have just done the R9000.00 transfer to the Animal Eye Clinic but I don't regret one cent of it as money can't compare to what I feel for my "kids".  I can start building again on savings, but Samui needed the operation to save that eye and that is more important than anything else.  I can't begin to tell you how much this means to me that you are willing to help.  Thanks again for the trouble of verifying the story and for helping me.

Lana

The balance owed to the clinic is R4,585.04. This is roughly £296-300.  Any funds we might raise in this special appeal will be paid direct to the clinic. Lana is aware we might not be able to raise the full amount and she will have to make up the shortfall, however we are going to try.

Any help our members can offer is greatly appreciated. We already have our first anonymous donation in the pot, for which I am grateful.

We are using the Purrs PayPal account: purrs@purrsinourhearts.co.uk - Please use the reference: Samui. If anyone wishing to donate in a different form please let me or Tan know.

Thank you in advance to everyone, we hope to raise as much as we can to help Lana. Anyone who hasn't seen the pics of Samui, here you go. He is gorgeous!

Some related links:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12760.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,12746.0.html

Thanks again everyone!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:34:33 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
Re: Please Help me save Samui's eye
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:24:05 AM »
Please see pictures of Samui on Lanas welcome thread and also the one I started in cat chatting  ;D

Thanks Gill!

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 09:23:37 AM »
Hi all!  :shy:

We have verified that Samui's story is indeed genuine, through some wonderful friends in South Africa. We are currently gathering information to see what we can do to help Lana through this. ;)

Thanks Ruth!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 18:07:01 PM »
Please see pictures of Samui on Lanas welcome thread and also the one I started in cat chatting  ;D

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 17:11:17 PM »
Hi all!  :shy:

We have verified that Samui's story is indeed genuine, through some wonderful friends in South Africa. We are currently gathering information to see what we can do to help Lana through this. ;)

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 14:02:13 PM »
Hi Lana

Have posted n your other thread and will support you all we can. We  have contacts over in SA so hopefully we can help somehow.  :hug: Have taken off the private bank details to protect your personal details on a public forum. 

Thanks Tan, I was definately not thinking straight when I posted my personal bank details...  and thanks for the support!  Believe me I have tried so many places here in South Africa but no luck yet, but I am not going to give up!!!

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 13:56:35 PM »
Hi Lana

Have posted n your other thread and will support you all we can. We  have contacts over in SA so hopefully we can help somehow.  :hug: Have taken off the private bank details to protect your personal details on a public forum. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 13:08:55 PM »
Please Samui post in the section for new members and tell us about yourself and cats and why you are posting as a new member asking for money in a post that I am very sorry to say, does look like the many scam emails we get.

I am very sorry to be so blunt and have pmed you. I am locking this thread to avoid confusion and hope to see you posting in the welcome to new members area with infomation about you and samui and where you live and your cat family.

Thank for joining Purrs

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 13:01:04 PM »
Please nobody give money until this charity is certified so to speak, so many scams orignate from SA  :(

Sorry if your legit but not many people stick bank details on the internet

Hi Milly

I am not a charity, just a "mum" wanting to find help.  If there is any way I can prove this is not a scam, please let me know how and I'll do it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
Please nobody give money until this charity is certified so to speak, so many scams orignate from SA  :(

Sorry if your legit but not many people stick bank details on the internet

Offline Samui

• Adult Cat
  • ... my boy Samui
SPECIAL APPEAL - Please Help me save Samui's eye
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
Hi everyone

I need your help please.  Please read the below email, if you know of anyone that can help please let me know.  The cost of the operation is: ZAR 13585.00 / GBP 860.00

Hi all

My name is Samui, I am an 8 year old domestic house cat.  About 8 years ago I was born with only one eye and ended up at TEARS (The Emma Animal Rescue Society).  One Saturday all the other kittens and I were put up for adoption in N1 City Mall to find homes.  As the day went by the cage started to get empty but I was so confident that I was going to find a home.  Late that afternoon I was the only kitten left, nobody wanted a "one eyed cat".  Then just before we had to leave I was taken out of the cage, a lady holding me tight against her chest, I looked at her and it was "love at first sight"... she didn't mind my one eye. 

Now 8 years later I am asking for your help.  A week ago I developed a corneal ulcer in my eye... now that wouldn't have been a major problem if I had two eyes but as you know I only have the one.  In less than 24 hours it grew 3 times the original size and the treatment I was on just didn't stop the ulcer.  Unfortunately it has now come down to having an eye graft to save my eye and this is a very expensive procedure.  My "mom" can't afford to have this done by herself and that is why we are asking for your help - in any way possible. 

I have attached the doctor’s invoice and a photo of myself.  To be honest I have no idea how to go about this, but until I know more I am including my "moms" bank details if you can help to give any donation no matter how big or small (every little bit helps).

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.

Samui

FOR ANY DONATION:Admin has kept details and taken off public forum for member protection.

Thanks everyone for all the prayers over the past week!  To save Samui's eye he needs to have this operation and unfortunately I can't afford this on my own.  He has given me so much love over the past 8 years and now that I have to be there for him it is really proving to be difficult, so please if you can help at all - help me to be there for him now.

Lana

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 11:31:27 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Link to CatChat