Author Topic: Would a buzzard attack a cat ?  (Read 14134 times)

Offline tpepaul

• Adult Cat
    • The Pet Extraordinarium
Re: Would a buzzard attack a cat ?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 06:01:39 AM »
Short answer: NO.

Did a quick google search on the subject and couldn't find a shred of evidence suggesting that a cat is in danger from a bird of prey. In fact, one website went so far as to say: "A Bird of Prey is not stupid! Unless a wild cat was sick and dying a Bird of Prey will avoid this natural predator, as cats are responsible for 90%+ of all wild bird kills."

But to be sure, you could always gun down the buzzard with an air rifle...
JOKE! Leave the poor birdy alone...
:boxer:   www.thepetextraordinarium.co.uk FOR COOL, FUNKY, GOOD QUALITY CAT ACCESSORIES
10% of every order donated to cat rescues if you click on the link at the bottom of the page!!
The Extraordinary Pet Blog - http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 23:12:02 PM »
Your poor cat , that sounds quite worrying :scared:

ccmacey

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 22:52:58 PM »
I would say so?

There was a murder in my garden once, well 2 crows lol and they were going mad at my cat, she just lay flat on the ground and she looked quite scared.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 21:57:36 PM »
Thats interesting I was wondering where it, they, were living. I usually only see one but two years ago thought I was going crazy when I saw three together I guess one was a youngster.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 21:50:13 PM »
I wasn't too impressed. Lucky Miggy's a big boy and the Buzzard knew what was best for him. Incidently they (theirs a pair) hang out over Southam and the Crows go nuts!!!!!!!! They actually catch pidgeons in midair which is quite impressive ... I used to sit and watch them during my lunch when I worked up in that area.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 21:43:36 PM »
Thanks everyone that is a great help, I am not so worried now.

I don't like that Buzzard ... caught it sat on my fence eyeing Mig (bunny) up for Lunch.

The birds in the area go crazy when it flies over the houses. Must have been quite a shock to see it sitting on your fence with Mig in the garden :scared:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 21:28:46 PM »
Funnily enough there's an article in the latest edition of the Rabbit Welfare Assoc magazine on birds of prey predators - it says that buzzards are largely carrion feeders and although they may technically eat rabbits, they don't usually tend to, and that they look for signs of weakness in ground prey to help them assess whether it's worth the risk.  So on the basis that the RWA don't think that buzzards are a huge threat to rabbits, I'd have thought the threat to cats would be even lower.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 20:51:03 PM »
We have a pair and maybe an oddd bird of prey circling often now, dont know what type though.

I saw one last week and it had a whole load of feathers missing in the middle of one wing.............Sasa!  :rofl: :rofl:

It seemed to be flying Ok and it was quite windy.

It was the lowest I have ever seen one of them and thought it was trying to come in to land but no.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 20:20:31 PM »
I didn't know buzzards lived in Britain, well anyhoo I would be a bit worried too... not to long ago a friend of ours told us she had to throw rocks and whatever she could gets her hand on to fend off a large rook because she saw the bird was attacking a stray kitten.  And a buzzard is much bigger than a rook!!  :shocked:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 19:51:05 PM »
I love them, we have huge numbers round here nowadays but always a thrill to see them even if it can be several times per week.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 19:49:47 PM »
We live near fields and often see a majestic buzzard soaring over head, a beautiful sight. There are lots of rabbits in the field so I assume it is mainly hunting those.

However my friend was visiting yesterday and she seemed to think that a buzzard may attack a cat. Wondered if anyone knew if this is right.
I don't like that Buzzard ... caught it sat on my fence eyeing Mig (bunny) up for Lunch.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 19:46:34 PM »
Just had a squizz on the RSPB website: http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/b/buzzard/index.asp

I can only assume if the cat was mistaken for a smaller animal, maybe?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 19:45:57 PM »
I would strongly suggest NO.  Remember these creatures have the most amazing eyesight and could very well tell the difference between cat & rodent.

Also altho they will and do take live prey ALL birds of prey are natural scavengers and a huge bulk of their diet comes from carcases they have not killed themselves.  I know this as i've been to a bird of prey centre twice and listened to the talk they give.  Basically they are all quite lazy and will only really "work" for their food if they have to.  They also are very cautious about not injuring themselves while capturing their prey, this is why some birds of prey who will take pigeons out of the air will do so by digging their talons into the underbelly of pigeon and not the back as hitting them on the back can hurt themselves.  I guess very small or vunerable lambs / baby deer are also at risk but i bet a crowd of crows are more dangerous to lambs than buzzards are.

If a cat was seriously injured or dying it may i guess but not if it was going to put itself in danger.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 19:42:42 PM »
My best friend lives in mid-Wales, knows a lot about buzzards and has just written a poem about them, so I shall ask her.  According to her poem, buzzards do attack baby lambs and rabbits  :scared:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
Would a buzzard attack a cat ?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 19:36:36 PM »
We live near fields and often see a majestic buzzard soaring over head, a beautiful sight. There are lots of rabbits in the field so I assume it is mainly hunting those.

However my friend was visiting yesterday and she seemed to think that a buzzard may attack a cat. Wondered if anyone knew if this is right.

Link to CatChat