Author Topic: PAH now sells Frontline and Drontal  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Inky

• Adult Cat
  • Kitties Woody, Taiki and Twyla
Re: PAH now sells Frontline and Drontal
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
I use Advocate too, and they come in under 4kg and over 4kg sizes. Taiki is teetering on the edge of 4kg so he'll probably be over next time he needs treating (still growing, and is likely to be well over 4kg for his adult life), so he has to be weighed again. Twyla isn't likely to ever go over 4kg. It must be a bit awkward though if you have cats that are on or around the 4kg mark... It doesn't cover *all* worms (I'm pretty sure Stronghold doesn't either as selamectin and moxidectin are chemically not that different, both inhibit neurotransmission), so they still need to go in occasionally for a complete deworm.

I much prefer it to Frontline anyhow, Frontline used to cause a sticky, white residue in the backs of their necks that was there for days after treatment (and of course doesn't touch worms so they needed a monthly tablet). Advocate doesn't do this at all.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 11:07:49 AM by Inky »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 08:26:37 AM »
I Think Advocate is one of the few flea treatments that comes in more than one size, Advantage is the same, so that could be the reason why they need weighing.
I do hope Stronghold is un POM'd, that would be fab. I use that and Droncit spot ons when I have cats that dont like to be tableted.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 19:14:01 PM »
You will probably find advocate costs more than stronghold?
To dispense flea control they need to have seen the cats but if they went in for jabs then that should suffice. I would ask to speak to the vet first rather then take the receptionists word. They always decline early neutering requests but a vet will often agree  ;)

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2008, 18:53:52 PM »
I'm getting a little but confused with this now. Around New year I took the new kitten to Companion care for vaccinations, opted for the kitten pack offer which includes spaying, vaccinations, deflea and worming stuff for the year. It came to around £180 for the lot, now wether that is good or bad I do not know, I like my vet and trust him so that is all that matters to me. As for the other 4 they normally have had stronghold once a month, now January 30th and I go to the vets and ask for stronghold, the nurse said they no longer use it but from now on will be using Advocate and promptly dispatched me some to take home. A fortnight later I returned to the vets for a dewormer for the cats the receptionist came back with these Drontal pills, well I would never ram a pill down my cats throat anymore than I would have a pill rammed down mine, so I crushed them up in their food, none of which was eaten ;D The following day I returned to the vets where I was offered another dewormer which you zap the on the back of the neck's.
Today I went into the vets to start the whole procedure again and saw a different nurse and asked for Advocate, she checked her computer and said all the cats will have to come in to be weighed before it was administered. So Thursday I have to take all 5 cats at the same time to be weighed, what a fun trip that is going to be, I'm just a bit miffed as to why they did not have to be weighed last month, but this month they do. They also offer to sell this Advocate for a year at a discounted price, so what weighing has do with anything is beyond me as their weight will go up and down, just like all womens weights do :evillaugh: I did tell them I was considering buying it on line, they just said "yes it is definitely cheaper if you do"

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2008, 18:02:08 PM »
Theres others being reviewed too so fingers crossed atleast one will be changed :wish:

Program is, not sure exactly when but in my vet medic catalogue it says available without prescription from early 2008  :wow:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2008, 17:51:23 PM »
I hope stronghold follows

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 17:43:22 PM »
PAH,shops,chemist's can sell  Frontline cheaper than the vets because the vets sell the new improved version frontline combo. Thats why PAH are allowed to sell the old frontline.  :smile:

It was un-pom'd, and hopefully stronghold is going to be following suit  ;D
My aunt saves £8 a box on frontline as her vet still stocks it.

Combo is just the same as using normal frontline and a house spray like indorex, except it makes a bigger dent in your pocket    ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 14:58:56 PM »
I thought it was cheaper than that

They sometimes have it on special offer.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 14:51:01 PM »
Just a shame it is still so expensive in them, as people will still go for Bob Martins.

ME! I learned the hard way - I kept buying the d*mn stuff and was confused as to why it didn't work- thought it was me not putting it on correctly. After speaking to my friend she said get the flea treatments direct from vets, so I bought Advance from my vet, and the fleas went straight away. Haven't seen one flea since :)
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 13:57:45 PM »
I thought it was cheaper than that (or it was last month when I bought some). I have seen it in Chemists, but not PAH yet, although I know some pet shops sell it. Just a shame it is still so expensive in them, as people will still go for Bob Martins.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
because the vets sell the new improved version frontline combo. Thats why PAH are allowed to sell the old frontline.

Shops now sell  Frontline spot- on now becasue a while ago is was many none prescription.

Offline sam x

• Adult Cat
  • Jessica pooh,Chi man,Chicken
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 09:36:21 AM »
PAH,shops,chemist's can sell  Frontline cheaper than the vets because the vets sell the new improved version frontline combo. Thats why PAH are allowed to sell the old frontline.  :smile:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:14:22 AM »
 From Vet UK Frontline Cat Spot On 6 Pack  is only  £16.89, almost half the price of the shops or vets. Plus of course if you order it from one of the charity sites mentioned on Purrs (mine included) we get a 5% commission.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 14:57:59 PM by Ela »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 04:49:59 AM »
I use VetUK also!  ;)

Well they have started selling the frontline round here via the chemist but not Drontal!  :Crazy: Mind you the prices for a 3 pack of frontline is approx £15.??  :scared:  >:(

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 21:02:40 PM »
Oh I'm not against VetUK it's just I get a much better deal buying my years supply from crufts as they often have 10% off.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 20:54:53 PM »
Its about time chemists advertise they can do it, although with all the online companies about now i dont reckon they would beat them on price.

Il still use vetuk as they give to charity  ;)

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
PAH now sells Frontline and Drontal
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 20:52:07 PM »
Just in case people wanted to know. I was in PAH today and noticed a sign saying they now sell Frontline and Drontal. I didn't check on the prices (as I'll be getting all mine from vedmedic next week at Crufts).

Also I notice my local chemist now dispenses pet prescriptions! You can go in for you own medicine and your pets!!!!

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Link to CatChat