Author Topic: please pray for arthur  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Garfield&Gypsy

• Senior Cat
  • Garfield
Re: please pray for arthur
« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2008, 17:14:03 PM »
SO sorry to hear about Arthur, RIP little one! :hug:
Nicola, Chris, Garfield & Gypsy

I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave relationship. The cat is the master.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2008, 16:43:00 PM »
Really sorry to hear about Arthur Christina,  :hug:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2008, 13:02:27 PM »
 :hug: So sorry Christina, take care of yourself and your bro. Arthur will be happier of the bridge now with mended legs and ears and kidneys!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2008, 11:10:33 AM »
What a sad story it has me in tears at least as the others have said he had plenty of love and affection in his final days.

R.I.P Arthur

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2008, 10:20:57 AM »
I'm so sorry  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2008, 00:51:48 AM »
I am so sorry to here the sad news about wonderful Arthur  :hug:

RIP Arthur, you were loved so much

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 18:52:30 PM »
I am so sorry Christina.  Arthur has left pawprints on your heart forever but be glad that he had you in his final days and that you all cared so much about him that you relieved him of his pain and took it for yourselves.  RIP Arthur your family will miss you lots  :hug: :hug:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2008, 18:45:37 PM »
I'm so sorry and send you big hugs and to your poor brother too. At least Arthur knew love and kindness in his last months. RIP little Arthur.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 18:12:17 PM »
I am so sorry there wasn't a happy ending to this, but he was well loved and that is important. RIP little one.
Please spay your cat

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 18:04:43 PM »
so very sorry :hug: :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2008, 17:47:13 PM »
So Sorry  :'(

RIP Arthur xxx

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2008, 17:30:37 PM »
Christina I'm so sorry to hear about Arthur please pass on my sincere condolences to your brother and family.

RIP Arthur ... play hard at the bridge little man.xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2008, 17:24:45 PM »
thanks for all the words of suport. it really means a lot. im just glad we were able to give this wonderfull cat a fab last few months. we will always remember him.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2008, 17:17:01 PM »
Awwww I really am so sorry hun x

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2008, 17:07:45 PM »
So sorry.  :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2008, 17:00:23 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Arthur. Thinking about you all :hug:

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2008, 16:08:49 PM »
oh i am so sorry to hear this, RIP Arthur you were much loved, God Bless.

:hug: to you and your family Christina.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2008, 16:06:21 PM »
   :RIP: Dear Arthur. :'(

So sorry Christina.  :hug: :hug:

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2008, 15:53:55 PM »
So sorry to hear about Arthur  :hug:

:RIP: Arthur Nit Nite xx
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2008, 15:51:31 PM »
arthur didnt make it. cant really describe how im feeling. my dad has just rung to say the vets have rung and he has taken a turn for the worse. my dad and bro are on their way now to have him pts. i just cant believ it. my bro is in bits. he really loved arthur. we all did. i didnt want to go. im sitting here in bits crying my eyes out as it is. im in state to go. at least he will have the people there that loved him. im so happy and sad at the same time, sad for poor arthur, but happy that we gave him the best gift ever in his last few months, a family and a home to call his own. its so cruel he has been taken fro us. he suffered so much, and was so happy. RIP arthur, you were the kindest, best most gentle soul i ever knew. love you loadsXXXXXXXXX

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 05:42:57 AM »
Any news on Arthur?

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2008, 23:09:38 PM »
Sending lots of vibes for Arthur.  I don't know a lot about CRF but I did look at the felinecrf site that Gillian mentioned when I found out that Jaffa's kidney function wasn't brilliant (he's high end of normal) and it is an excellent site.  A lot to take in but well worth the time trying to absorb it.  I get the impression that CRF is very variable and some cats can improve and go on to live for quite a long time, while for others it doesn't work out so well.  I also think that lots of vets are unnecessarily pessimistic upon a diagnosis of CRF.  Lots of hugs and get well vibes from me and the boys.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2008, 21:20:37 PM »
Sending positive vibes for Arthur and yourself~~~~~~~~~ :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2008, 21:14:49 PM »
Oh, i am so sorry  Christina. I do pray that some thing can be done for Arthur . Poor little guy :( I feel for you and Arthur  :hug: :hug:

But remember Arthur got the chance to get a home of his own and love and care. :hug:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2008, 20:15:54 PM »
Oh, poor Arthur... all my best wishes and positive vibes being pumped out in your/Arthurs direction!! :hug: :hug:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 20:12:09 PM »
Just to let you know I am thinking about you all especially the lovely Arthur :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 19:41:27 PM »
hi, thanks for your thoughts, its not looking good im afraid. the vet just phoned my brother, and arthur hasnt responded to treatment. the vet has said there is another more expensive drug they can try.

Not sure what the drug is you are referring to, maybe Fortekor? although I wouldnt say that was excessively expensive, but whatever it is I hope it will help. Have you had a look at the felinecrf website? it may help, it certainly helped me when my Suzie had kidney failure, and I was actually able to give her fluids myself at home, which, whilst not a cure, really made Suz feel better - you could see the difference in her after fluids, http://felinecrf.org/ . My Suz was a very good patient and didnt mind (too much!) me giving her the fluids under her skin, and my vet was very good about showing me how to do it properly before I did it myself at home.

My Jasper also has kidney failure, and he's on Fortekor and seems to be stable at the moment.

Dark Moon

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 19:03:49 PM »
I and all the rest of us are sending thoughts for Arthur. I have also had to deal with the consequences of misdiagnoses - and missed diagnoses. I just hope and pray he will find his way to overcome this. He deserves better!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 19:02:06 PM »
Sending lots of good wishes and I am sure the right choice will be made for Arthur  :hug: :hug:

You are among so many friends here and we all know what you and your brother are going through. Arthur has known love , warmth and care for such a short time but he will always been so happy he met you both and his pawprint will be in your hearts for ever.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 18:54:50 PM »
Oh Christina, I really feel for you. It's so unfair isn't it but at least you have given Arthur lots of love and purrs. I'm hoping and praying for some good news for you both and send you a big hug.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 14:45:30 PM »
Sending hopes and Prayers over to Arthur  :hug:

Its terrible the diagnosis wasn't made sooner, and Amy, I'm sorry you had to go through the same experience  :hug:  At least you know the signs now hun, I definintely think that for every bad thing that happens, good things also so happen, and you are now helping other furries by knowing the symptoms.

Its only through being on here that I've learnt to do bloods etc on cats of a certain age, and its only by doing Max's last week that I've found out (hopefully early enough) about his early CRF to hopefully manage it for a while.

Keep us posted Christina, and really do pray that Arthur responds to the other treatment  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 13:40:46 PM »
Same thing happened here hun. Hope was constipated for 2 years and had other somewhat trivial symptoms that should've been obvious to someone in the know. I only found out because I moved house and took both of my cats to the new vet to get them registered and MOTd.

The new vet looked at my little Hope and said "Sorry Miss Harris, I think this cat may be suffering with renal failure". By this time I had done enough research to suspect that myself so it was no shock but it made me so angry that a vet can take one look at a cat and know but another can't tell after two years of her being a patient  >:( . I firmly believe that with an earlier diagnosis, she may have still been here today.

But here's a cruel irony. If she hadn't gone to the bridge I wouldn't have met cpl Smokey, wouldn't be doing what I do in rescue and wouldn't know what I know about CRF. I have had two cats in the shelter diagnosed with it since because I spotted the signs early. They are both living as normal cats and you wouldn't know they were sick. I lost a special friend but I believe it has helped me to save two lives and help many more cats.

:hug: Christina and   :hug: Corporal Smokey

Thanks Nikki!  :hug:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 13:41:14 PM by Corporal Smokey »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 13:33:00 PM »
 :hug: Christina and   :hug: Corporal Smokey

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 13:29:47 PM »
thanks for that. its comforting to know your not alone  when you talk to people like on here. were all praying he will pull through. its the circumstances of his life that are even more upsetting for us. he is more my brothers cat then mine, but i love him just as much, and go see him all the time. whenever i go home, arthur always comes to sleep with me on my bed. infact last sataday i stayed there the night after going out with friends and he was by my side all nite purring away in bed. that is the way i want to remember him if he has to go today.
i cant help feeling slightly annoyed, as he had a vet check up when we got him afew months ago, and the looking back the vet missed all the signs of kidney failure. arthur was sick a lot, had bad breath, a dull coat and afew other symptoms of early signs of the illness, but nothing was said so just thought he was ok. now it was only when he practicaly collpased that we knew he was ill and rushed him to vet that we found this out. cant help thinking if this was pickedup afew months ago, he might have got the treatment he needed and not be so ill now. but i suppose feeling like that will njot help arthur now.
i will let you know what happens later. hopefully it will be good news. (arthur is the black cat on my picture for my posts here on the forum bless him)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 13:11:17 PM »
Hi Christina. I'm going to offer a little advice based on my experience. It may be as upsetting to read as it is heartwrenching to write but I have told people this story before and it may offer you some comfort in a strange way.

I hate kidney failure so much as it took one of my best feline-friends away from me. Before I start rambling, I must point out that I have helped many CRF cats to live long and happy lives. They can live for years if it's managed properly. Read on if you want to and I sincerely apologise in advance if I say anything to upset you.

My little angel cat, Hope was diagnosed with CRF in 2006. The vets were really encouraging and positive and I did all they advised. I gave her a special diet, Fortekor tablets and all the cuddles in the world. She didn't want to eat and got really upset at taking her meds. She was so sad but I kept trying. She didn't respond and I was on the phone or at the vets all the time. She kept on going for about four months.

Then there was that one evening. She had been even more sad in the morning. She kept coughing and falling over. I rushed home from work and cuddled her. We fell asleep together for about an hour and I felt that she was telling me she wanted to go. That night I resolved to take her to the vets in the morning. Sadly, she went to sleep in the night.

I'm telling you this because I firmly believe with CRF that a sufferer will tell you how they feel in their own way. If you're close enough to Arthur, he will let you know what's best for him. If you feel he is fighting, let him fight and help him all you can but I think if you feel him letting go, be there for him, tell him how much you love him every night he's still there and don't feel guilt when he goes to play on the bridge.

You feel every emotion in the book with CRF. You feel intense love, anger frustration and sometimes people even blame the cat. These are all normal feelings and you're not alone. I wish I had known about Purrs when I went through it, I felt like there was no-one there and the vets were annoyed with me (in hindsight they weren't).

One piece of advice I was given was to keep a diary. Take pictures, note down appetite and general mood. It's very methodical but in the long-term may prove comforting. If you feel Arthur is letting go, you can look back and see how happy he was compared to now.

The saddest thing is letting nature take its course. The end of kidney failure is a very sad one. I won't go into detail, I'm already in tears but it's much kinder with a little help from the vet.

Like I said at the start, this is so difficult for me to type and probably you to read but there are people on here who've been through it and are going through it and you can call upon us anytime for advice and support.

Take care and I'll keep Arthur in my prayers  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 13:01:44 PM »
I so hope he responds to the drug.  I know how you are feeling, truly I do and it isn't nice.  Please keep us updated

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »
Sending you tons of positive energies hun x

Offline Christina

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
hi, thanks for your thoughts, its not looking good im afraid. the vet just phoned my brother, and arthur hasnt responded to treatment. the vet has said there is another more expensive drug they can try. we are going with that, as my brother has said he would rather spend a few more months with arthur if he can get better, rather then him never leaving the vet again and dying there. We will get a call this afternoon to let us know what has happened. if the second drugs have not worked then there is no more hope and we will haev to put him down today. if this is the case i dont think i will get to see him again as i couldnt be there when he is pts. my brother will be with him.
ive never had to gpo through this before, as the first cat i had when i was younger is still alive!
i know that even if he does respond, he still doesnt have long left, but at least it will give us a chance to say goodbye properly and come to terms with it, and give him lots and lots of love and fuss. not that he didnt get that anyway! thanks again.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
I was so sad to read about Arthur.  I have no advice to give you but hope that he pulls through and has some more happy loving time with his new family.  My thoughts are with you  :hug: :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »
I think it depends on the seriousness of the kidney failure, there may be drugs to control it but if it's gone too far I would listen to the vet  :( I know it's hard but you have to do whats best for the cat.

Anyway dont give up without a fight and keep strong for Arthur, hoping he can get better and have a few more months/ years.

Link to CatChat