Author Topic: A good bit of kit for cleaning cat hairs from carpets/rugs  (Read 27492 times)

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Re: A good bit of kit for cleaning cat hairs from carpets/rugs
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2008, 19:10:40 PM »
I suspect a bloke offering to become a vacuuming maniac around the house was just too good to resist  ;)  :wow: !
I'll be showing Leigh's salesmanship to my OH this evening lol.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2008, 19:07:09 PM »
Leigh's salemanship is good!

I convinced OH on the phone that we cannot possibly go through life without one of these so I will be getting one in the morning when I go to pick a cat up in Canterbury  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2008, 19:04:01 PM »
anyone got any ideas on something other than that useless sticky lint roll to get the clouds of fur from all over everything I wear? Don't think I can lie down and vacuum/carpet sweep myself lol.
I've even made peeps sneeze in the bus  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2008, 14:52:39 PM »
No point in asking me to work with you I can't even spell Seize - God knows what I was thinking of!!

I did get the carpet bit - but it just reminded me of my old boss - Mark just look what you've started here - we're all going ruddy crazy/crazier!!  :rofl: :evillaugh:

Going for a cuddle with Bonnie now - she's the only one who is sane!  :hug:

Mary
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:57:27 PM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2008, 14:45:16 PM »
You having a Frankie Howard moment there Leigh?  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 14:43:29 PM »
No it's Carpe Carpet diem (Seize the carpet day)  ;D ;D oh never mind!  ;D ;D ;D

Come on peeps work with me here, work with me  ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:46:05 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 14:37:35 PM »
I think it's seize the day  :evillaugh:

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 14:36:18 PM »
P.S - is it cease the DAY or MOMENT!!!
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 14:35:40 PM »
Cease the day indeed - an old boss of mine used to always be quoting Latin at me - could never remember it though, being the non practising good catholic girl that I am!!  Shouldn't it be internet carpet sweeper salesPERSON Leigh!!!!   :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 14:30:48 PM »
Hi Mary,

I've gone all high-tech, internet carpet sweeper salesman please!, I did have to take my shoes and socks off in the shop to do that equation though, caused quite a stir in Argos I can tell you.

Bravo mon ami, the appropriate phrase seems to be "Carpe(t) Diem"  ;D or for those not fluent in latin "Carpet Day"  ;D ;D

Cheers chuck

Leigh
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:32:47 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 14:29:31 PM »
Well my friend got the one down from mine and she says it works very well but she only has one very small kitten so I reckon: 1 small kitten x small amounts of kitten hair x one small litter tray = smaller sized carpet sweeper  ;D

I will push the boat out and "treat" myself to the deluxe  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Funny how when I buy these things to help with day to day running the house, I am accused of wasting money on myself   :tired:

One of my "stocking fillers" this xmas was a pair of silicone mitts for hot pans  :tired:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:32:25 PM by Mark »

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2008, 14:25:56 PM »
Mark, don't you dare throw Clapton out - we got snow here and it's freezing - me and Bonnie are gonna cuddle up in front of the fire in a bit cos it's cold upstairs and I've got heating on too.  mind you she's not daft as she's snuggled up in my quilt.

Leigh - Mathematician as well as door to door vac sales man - you're talents impress me!!   :hug:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2008, 14:25:19 PM »
Well my friend got the one down from mine and she says it works very well but she only has one very small kitten so I reckon: 1 small kitten x small amounts of kitten hair x one small litter tray = smaller sized carpet sweeper  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2008, 14:22:30 PM »
I did a quick bit of mental arithmatic : (premium sized cat(s) x premium quantities of cat hair) x multiple premium sized litter trays = premium carpet sweeper  ;D by the same token I reckon that (multiple cats x multiple cat hairs) + multiple litter trays  <> small dustpan and brush set  ;D

Cheers

Leigh   

You read my mind - that really is a great help  :evillaugh:

Now which one is it again?

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2008, 14:21:34 PM »
double posting
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:22:45 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2008, 14:21:17 PM »
I'm having a major crisis here and need some guidance

the £20 one or the £40 one?

:Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 14:20:16 PM »
I did a quick bit of mental arithmatic, arithmetic (I added it up) thus (premium sized cat(s) x premium quantities of cat hair) x multiple premium sized litter trays = premium carpet sweeper  ;D by the same token I reckon that (multiple cats x multiple cat hairs) + multiple litter trays  <> small dustpan and brush set  ;D

Cheers

Leigh   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 14:23:06 PM by LeighK »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 14:17:58 PM »
I'm looking forward to finding out how Gillian gets on with all the persian!  if she likes it I'm sold

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 14:14:07 PM »
I do have a Dyson animal but it scares the life out of Clapton and Alice so I could use the sweeper for in-betweens  :evillaugh: - It's horrible outside and I don't want to make Clapton go outside  :(

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 14:11:36 PM »

:It has to be better than my 49p miniature dustpan & brush from Wilkinsons  :evillaugh
[/quote]

Mark, how on earth do you expect to get away with a MINIATURE sized one with all your cats  :naughty: :rofl: :hug:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »
Me being me has notice that there is also a Vileda one on Argos site for £19.99 (The £39.99 one is the premium version) it also says good for pet hair. I wonder if it is a false economy geting the cheaper one?   :shify:

It has to be better than my 49p miniature dustpan & brush from Wilkinsons  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 13:00:27 PM by Mark »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 16:07:07 PM »
Then you should be okay Dawn as the dustpan in mine after an average sweeping session looks like the aftermath of a sheep sheering trial held in an Olympic-sized long jump pit  ;D and, if anything, that's an understatement!.  ;D

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 16:08:11 PM by LeighK »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2008, 16:01:36 PM »
that's all I really want it for - the odd bit of chick crumb on the floor and Star hair which is long and white and gathers in clumps!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2008, 15:59:11 PM »
Hi Gillian,

I'm very pleased to hear that you got things sorted and looks like you got a good buy there. When I get my hoover out and the boys see it, I don't even need to plug it in before Frankie makes a bolt for his hiding place behind the shelving unit and sofa in the living room and Alfie does the same but under the bed such is their unforgetting hatrid of the thing. They stay there in hiding well after I'm finished hoovering and have to come out of their own accord even when I tempt them with their favourite biscuit treats. Even Suzie who lives all the time in the bedroom and is pretty good with domestic noise will make a bolt under the bed to join Alfie (who she normally wouldn't let come too close to her) if I'm hoovering withing a couple of feet of her.

By contrast they don't mind the powered sweeper thing very much at all, they don't hide and they just watch me pushing it around. I now use it every day for 5-10 minutes to sweep up the high traffic areas on the rugs in the bedroom, landing, kitchen and living room. even when they look clean it's amazing how many hairs it picks up as well as all the sawdust and loose wood pellets that Frankie delights in digging out of the litter trays and treading around the flat and the dustpan bit that slides out is usually pretty full every time but I guess that could be that every time I use it it digs more and more trodden in cat hairs out. The thing is no substitute for a hoover when it comes to cleaning all the nooks and cranies but at least the rugs look pretty clean every day before it was really noticeable especially with Alfie's passion for shedding white hairs on the dark-coloured rugs which really stood out.

Hope it does the trick for you, I think that you might have got the Uebank one that my friend got, the price seems about right.

All the best

Leigh
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 16:09:28 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2008, 15:34:14 PM »
Me too - The dyson frightens the life out of Alice so the carpet in the attic is going unvacuumed  :sick:

I hate getting dud things. My blacklight I got off Ebay came yesterday. It stayed lit for a minute then burned out - even more frustrating as I caught Willow spraying up my best drapes yesterday  >:( - now I have the hassle of returning a dud light - that's if they even believe me  >:(

Edit:She emailed me back in no time saying I am not the first to have this problem.
She will send a replacement today and not to bother sending the broken one back  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 15:55:39 PM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2008, 15:27:26 PM »
I look forward to hearing about this, I was going to buy the hand held dyson but if I can get something this cheap for those little jobs it would be much better

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 14:43:06 PM »
Well, took it back to Argos, - surprise, surprise they were out of stock of the small sweeper! So got my money back and stomped out the shop LOL! Just happened to pop into Robert Dyas (which is right next door to Argos) and they had a sweeper very similar to the larger one you've got Leigh (except its made by Gtech), so anyway it was £29.99, so I bought that one - its is charging as we speak and gotta wait 20 hours before I can even try it!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 16:43:51 PM »
Hi Gillian,

Sorry to hear that you've got a dud, that's usually my sort of luck. All I can say is that I hope that you get a good 'un as mine is a definite boon.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 14:07:53 PM »
OK, trust me to get the DUD one  >:( - I decided I couldnt wait for my first paycheque to come in, so got one of those sweepers (bought the smaller one as it was £19.99) - charged it up (for longer than it actually needed) started it up, buzzing along - less than 5 minutes later - DEAD AS A DODO!  >:(  - Now I've got to take the dam thing back and get another one or a refund. This was supposed to be saving a bit of time in between hooverings  and now I've got to make time to go back to Argos and blinkin palava - not happy  >:(

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 15:17:33 PM »
LOL Mary, I love that photo  :rofl:

Hi Gillian, I've used it quite a few times now and it really picks up well especially on the rugs as it beats and sweeps and digs out the cat hairs. It is so much lighter and less hassle than my vacuum cleaner and it lasts quite a long time between charges (about 3 or 4 sessions per charge). I don't have a large flat and it only takes me 5-10 minutes to go around quickly with it pretty much every day on the high traffic areas (as opposed to considerably longer dragging the hoover around) and this helps to keep it clean else I too could knit a small kitten, in fact a whole litter of small kittens with all the hair that my lot deposit around the place. Another distinct advantage over the hoover is that it makes very little noise and the cats aren't afraid of it too much so that together with the ease and speed of use encourages me to use it pretty much every day and that can only be a good thing in my never-ending war against surplus cat hair.  ;D The only thing is that I wish that I had taken out the £9 or so 3 year Argos warranty as it's become an invaluable piece of kit that, that I would miss if it were to go wrong and, as reflected in the price, it is made of hard plastic so could get damaged if one were to abuse it and treat it roughly but for the price paid it's adequately made with relatively little to go wrong.

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 15:29:21 PM by LeighK »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 14:57:29 PM »
Thats interesting Leigh - I've looked at that vac before and wondered if it was any good - its great to hear a 'product review' from someone thats actually used it - think I might invest in one (when my first paycheck comes in LOL!)  ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 14:51:24 PM »
Had to take a photo of a picture I have hanging in my porch - you could use this on your leaflets Leigh when you start selling vacs door to door !!Love you really chuck.  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :naughty: :rofl:

Mary

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 10:11:00 AM »
That looks good Leigh, might have to get me one of them.

I've got a Dyson which is great for the normal carpets, but I find its a real mare on stairs, so something to do them (and pick up the odd bits without having to get all the extension leads out etc) is a great idea  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline J (Indoorcatsuk)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 22:27:23 PM »
My hubbie bought me the Dyson DC16 Animal handheld for Christmas, and even tho I use it every day I never fail to pick up what appears to be enough to knit a small kitten whenever I use it.
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere. Groucho Marx.

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 20:49:19 PM »
It operates on batteries I see?  That I dig a lot, those blasted cords always drive me mad.  About time someone came up with that idea, hope they do with larger hoovers too someday soon!! ;D

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 20:33:33 PM »
Ever thought of selling vacs door to door Leigh?  Sorry chuck I couldn't resist!  :naughty: :Luv2:
Mary

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 19:28:46 PM »
cool, sounds good - I have a great vacuum cleaner but it is a right pain when it comes to stairs (me never having previoulsy owned a house with stairs I have never figured out how to do that!!). So it would be great to have something lightweight with a short handle to ease the chore! thanks for that Leigh! :wow:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 19:11:48 PM »
Hiya,

Yes quite good as the main bit detatches from the handle and has a small handle attached and I ran it over the stairs and it picked up pretty well. I think that its main strength is in the "beating/sweeping" action which digs cat hairs out of my rugs whilst the vacuum on its own just seems to push into the pile. Its no substitute for a propper vaccum but in some respects it is better especially as regular usage keeps the hairs down and a good vacuum finishes the job.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 19:07:30 PM »
any good on stairs? said she optimistically .... :-:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
A good bit of kit for cleaning cat hairs from carpets/rugs
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 19:04:14 PM »
Hi folks,

A friend of mine mentioned that her mother-in-law had given her a carpet sweeper for Christmas and that it was pretty good. I bought one of the same, it's a re-chargeable sweeper and it works very well on carpet and rugs and really gets the cat hair out of the rugs very well and the cats aren't so scared of it as the vacuum cleaner as it doesn't make very much noise. It picks up cat hair and litter tray sawdust very well and so far I've used it three times on the one initial charge. You have to give it 20 hours charge the first time but it charges up pretty quickly after that, it's also very light and easy to push around and ideal for in between cleanups between getting the hoover out. Below is a link to it on Argos for those who might be interested.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8550105/Trail/searchtext%3ESWEEPER.htm

Cheers

Leigh

Link to CatChat