Author Topic: A good bit of kit for cleaning cat hairs from carpets/rugs  (Read 27491 times)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
Re: A good bit of kit for cleaning cat hairs from carpets/rugs
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2008, 10:38:46 AM »
Mark, I'm shocked!!!  Laughing my head off here cos I can just imagine you on top of the Mahogany Table with your feather duster!!!   :evillaugh: :rofl:  YES, I know you meant the lemon Juice, OR DID YOU!!!

Hi Leigh - glad you are working hard!!  You need to get your partner in crime under control with his vac!!

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2008, 10:31:53 AM »
Very disappointed Mark - I expected photos of you and the vac, wearing your apron and feather duster in other hand!!   :evillaugh: :rofl:
Have you tried mixture of lemon juice and water in a spray bottle on your furniture to keep Willow from spraying on it?  It worked for me with Smudge.

Mary

I might try that Mary - thanks  ;D
I don't think I had better try it on my highly polished mahogany dining table though  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 10:29:58 AM »
I'm supposed to be saving but I'm very tempted!!

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 10:29:38 AM »
Hiya,

Great, I'm pleased that you like it Mark. Yes, they are great for just that, getting cat hair out of rugs/carpet, in my case especially the rugs. The hair gets trapped in the rug and the vacuum just pushes it into the pile whereas the sweeper digs it out. It's amazing how much it picks up every time I use it. One still needs a vacuum especially for cleaning around awkward shapes such as skirting boards, chair/table legs etc. but for what it is it's a useful tool in the war against cat hairs :) and, as we've all noted the cats aren't scared stiff of it.

Dawn, the film is a personal project that I've been working on for over 18 months, it's an animated film and takes a lot of time  ;D

Morning Mary,

Cheers all

Leigh
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:30:59 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 10:27:52 AM »
Very disappointed Mark - I expected photos of you and the vac, wearing your apron and feather duster in other hand!!   :evillaugh: :rofl:
Have you tried mixture of lemon juice and water in a spray bottle on your furniture to keep Willow from spraying on it?  It worked for me with Smudge.

Mary

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 10:28:23 AM by maryas »
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 10:00:49 AM »
I am very impressed. I gave it a quick 5 minute test drive and it is full - mostly cat hair  :evillaugh:

It looks like they are great for geting fur etc from the surface of the carpet but you need a proper vac to get the dust that gets deep into the carpet. I'm surprised that the turbo brush with the Dyson doesn't work that well - in theory it should do the same but better as it's a spinning brush  :Crazy:

I get Leighs comment about "enough fur to knit a small kitten"  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2008, 09:13:55 AM »
Believe it or not, I have charged it for the full 20 hours but not used it yet. I have a new kitchen table and a wardrobe being delivered this morning so was sorting stuff out (ie scrubbing the old too-big kitchen table as they are buying it but Willow keeps peeing on it  :tired: )

I will try it later when they have gone  ;D

I can't wait to ge the new table in the kitchen as the other one was the old dining table from London but we have a big mahogany dining table now. Although our kitchen is a decent size, a 7ft x 3ft table is too much  :Crazy:

The new one has a reclaimed top and the legs have been painted in Farrow & Ball to match the rest of the kitchen  ;D

They are making matching benches  as well  ;D

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 09:20:44 AM by Mark »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2008, 09:06:36 AM »
I think he must be cleaning Leigh!  Whats the film btw

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »
Well it's 8:57 what's keeping you Mark ??!!   :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Sorry I've not been around much got a small mountain of work work and I'm also working flat out on the movie so very very busy, not enough time, I feel like the Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland, I'm late, I'm late  ;D

I agree that you must charge it for the full 20 hours before using the first time or whatever is reccommended just like other re-chargeable battery devices such as mobile phones etc. I was tempted to try out my new toy too but followed the instructions. I'm using it every day and I'm keeping the hair and litter down to an acceptable level but should really use it twice a day, mornings and evenings as they shed so much in such a short time.

I'll be catching up on things over the next few days as soon as I've cleared the backlog of work.

Cheers all

Leigh

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
well Mark??

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2008, 21:56:41 PM »
Same here. I tried to describe it to OH but got a blank response - I wonder why?  :-:

Some people just don't get excited about carpet sweepers  :Crazy:
[/color]

I wonder why!!!???  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :rofl:  Sorry Mark but I think it's time you and Leigh went into business together (Gillian, you can be a stand by partner too, I think!!  :rofl:) - not seen so much enthusiasm for anything in my life!!   :rofl:

Seriously though, it's nice we can all help each other out.  Keep up the good work.  :hug:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2008, 19:35:01 PM »
Same here. I tried to describe it to OH but got a blank response - I wonder why?  :-:

Some people just don't get excited about carpet sweepers  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 19:36:26 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2008, 19:14:50 PM »
Do you like my purple charger?  ;D

The purple duster is pointless though - They don't tell you how to clean it  :Crazy:

I think the charging thing may be an issue as it's in LARGE CAPITALS TO CHARGE FOR 20 HOURS BEFORE 1ST USE!  :evillaugh:

Cool! purple charger AND purple duster - very nice  :evillaugh:

Yes I've got capital letters too - but I was too impatient to use it - I must get out more  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2008, 19:03:04 PM »
Do you like my purple charger?  ;D

The purple duster is pointless though - They don't tell you how to clean it  :Crazy:

I think the charging thing may be an issue as it's in LARGE CAPITALS TO CHARGE FOR 20 HOURS BEFORE 1ST USE!  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 19:03:54 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2008, 18:55:48 PM »
It arrived today  ;D

It's charging but I am so tempted to try it out - mustn't play with til tomorrow after 8am  ;D

Oh very smart! - don't try it out until its charged - I have to admit a DID and wonder if thats why it wouldnt charge up after that - oops! I love trundling around with my new one - I'm on the look out all the time for bits to pick up with it LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2008, 18:34:11 PM »
It arrived today  ;D

It's charging but I am so tempted to try it out - mustn't play with til tomorrow after 8am  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2008, 22:42:36 PM »
anyone got any ideas on something other than that useless sticky lint roll to get the clouds of fur from all over everything I wear? Don't think I can lie down and vacuum/carpet sweep myself lol.
I've even made peeps sneeze in the bus  :evillaugh:

:rofl: I'm learning to drive and on both lessons I've had my instructor has gone into sneezing fits and had to roll down the window cos he's allergic to cats, and I'm covered in hair from my 4!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2008, 22:21:48 PM »
Gillian, did you see the link for their cylinder vac?

I am tempted to dump the dyson and get one  :evillaugh:

Yeh, I like cylinder vacs better than upright ones. My cylinder vac is about 7 yrs old, and parts of it are held together with parcel tape LOL! so might invest in that one myself - hey look at me spending all my new money before I've even got it - AND on vacuum cleaners - theres no hope for me  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2008, 17:40:28 PM »
[quote author=Gillian (Ambercat) link=topic=11392.msg200010#msg200010 date=1201879332

I can't believe we are SOoooo interested in vacuum cleaners - what a sad lot we are LOL!  :evillaugh:
[/quote]

Gillian, did you see the link for their cylinder vac?

I am tempted to dump the dyson and get one  :evillaugh:

According to them, the DC02 is the Creme de la Creme of carpet sweepers  :rofl: - apparently it has an electric duster or something on it  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 19:20:43 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2008, 15:22:12 PM »
you got a good deal but my model is the "GTX" with A.B.S (very useful when I nearly ran over Frankie on the landing), rear spoiler (for downforce in corners), flame decal, go-faster stripes, fluffy dice, faux leopard skin "pimp up my Vileda"  handle cover and drinks holder (very handy for longer sweeping sessions) so I suppose that it was worth the extra that I paid.

Brought to you by Leigh's Capet Sweeper Body Shop  ;D

LOL!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

After much deliberation and soul searching, I have ordered the SW02 as it colour co-ordinates with my Dyson  :evillaugh:

Oh I like the colour of that one! - I did think the red colour of mine was a bit 'last year'  :evillaugh:

I can't believe we are SOoooo interested in vacuum cleaners - what a sad lot we are LOL!  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2008, 14:34:14 PM »
On screen I thought it looked a tad "Black & Decker orange"  ;D

Which, my eyes or the sweeper  :evillaugh:

Yes she will only get the 98 octane  :wow:

Performance comes at a price, I think mine runs on 3 star electricity  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 13:21:18 PM »
On screen I thought it looked a tad "Black & Decker orange"  ;D

Yes she will only get the 98 octane  :wow:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:46 PM »
Wow!!!, I bet that baby goes, what a hot sweeper, make sure that you run it in gently you don't want to blow up the engine.  ;D

I'm sticking to mine for the time being, maybe I'll trade it in at some stage but I like the racing red colour, matches my eyes after another night of broken sleep thanks to Suzie climbing all over me and miaowing loudly.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:52:35 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »
Yes - with the built-in catnip deodourising unit  :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2008, 12:44:28 PM »
Is that the V12 model with overhead cam and shock absorbers for running over soft cat toys?, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccce  ;D

« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:45:21 PM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2008, 12:28:00 PM »
After much deliberation and soul searching, I have ordered the SW02 as it colour co-ordinates with my Dyson  :evillaugh:

£37.47 + £6.50 delivery from Asda electricals  ;D
being delivered on Monday  ;D (shame as I wanted one today  :( )

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:31:40 PM by Mark »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2008, 11:10:58 AM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe Gordon Smith is in touch with some "seasoned" carpet sweeper users, might be some useful assistance there as mine only came with a very minimal set of instructions something along the lines of "assemble it, charge it and use it"  ;D, mind you I couldn't have asked for much more  ;D

Maybe I should invite Jeremy Clarkson over to test drive the GTX!.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:12:19 AM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2008, 10:57:52 AM »
I ws just looking at their various models - I like the colour of their "Creme de la Creme"  :evillaugh: sweeper, the SW02

Look what amazon partnered it with  :Crazy: - how weird  :Crazy: - I wouldn't mind if I had ever looked up books about mediums  :Crazy:

Buy this item with Life Changing Messages: Remarkable Stories from the Other Side by Gordon Smith today!
Gtech SW02 Vacuum Cleaner       Life Changing Messages: Remarkable Stories from the Other Side
Buy Together Today: £46.58

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
Maybe we should form a "Team Vileda G-Tech" or maybe a Vileda/G-Tech Owners' Club and then we can have meetings to race them and discuss the latest customisations  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:54:16 AM by LeighK »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2008, 10:42:03 AM »
I am sold. I think I will buy it from Argos as it's so easy to sort out if it goes wrong with them. Got me thinking about their cylinder vac now as well. If has a more powerful motor than the dyson I paid a fortune for and only £50 - I will have to have a think  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:48:45 AM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
 :evillaugh:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2008, 09:34:01 AM »
Hi folks,

I'm glad that it is useful Gillian, as I've mentioned my lot aren't scared of it and it's worth it for that reason alone. I used it again yesterday evening to do a quick once over on the rugs and Frankie was stretched out on the rug in the landing and only when I got up close to him he got up and stroll away, if that was the hoover then he'd have made a bolt for his favourite hiding place. I reckon that g-tech make them and badge them for Vileda or maybe they are the same company any-which-way you got a good deal but my model is the "GTX" with A.B.S (very useful when I nearly ran over Frankie on the landing), rear spoiler (for downforce in corners), flame decal, go-faster stripes, fluffy dice, faux leopard skin "pimp up my Vileda"  handle cover and drinks holder (very handy for longer sweeping sessions) so I suppose that it was worth the extra that I paid.

I've started something here haven't I?! :) my friend that reccommended it to me was given one by her mother-in-law for Christmas and she also reccommended it to her friend for her elderly parents who find lugging the hoover upstairs difficult so that makes at least five out there.

Happy carpet-sweeping to all.

Cheers

Leigh 

Brought to you by Leigh's Capet Sweeper Body Shop  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:40:05 AM by LeighK »

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
so a trip to robert dyas is what I need, can't go today oh is taking me for lunch I'll go next week and let you know!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2008, 08:01:24 AM »
In that case, willow will probably go for a ride on it. Kylie never used to be scared of it but seems to have picked up fear from Clapton. Alice is also petrified. Shame you have to charge it for 20 hours though.

We will see. I have reserved the Argos one (a couple of weeks ago, I wanted some scales and it said they were in stock. I didn't bother reserving but they were out of stock when I went a few hours later  >:( )

There is a huge curries down the road and a huge comet so will check those before going to Argos  :evillaugh:

I see they make a regular lightweight vac (4kg) suitable for pet hair for £80.00
http://cordlesselectricsweeper.co.uk/product_info.php?id=&pid=77&PHPSESSID=a2d8770e449b09de4c4b6d5ad5042137

Or even £50.00  ;D http://www.unifit.co.uk/default.cfm?viewprod&id=10715
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:10:55 AM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2008, 22:48:27 PM »
I saw the g-tech one when I was googling today  I will google all day to save 20p  :evillaugh:
I just hope it's as good - I would hate to get one that doesn't work as well. Oddly, the Vileda one isn't on Vileda's website  :Crazy:

Which model do you have Gillian? - there are a few by the look of it.

Its the SW 04 model - it looks to me exactly like the vileda one, look I even took a picture of it - how sad is that, taking pics of my carpet sweeper LOL!! :evillaugh:

Anyway, I've tested it out, and its really good, it picked up the cat hair and the little bits of cat litter on the carpet, and the best thing is that George even stayed in the room while I was doing the lounge (if I get the other hoover out - he's gone!!) and little Gwynnie, who gets scared if I get the other one out, was fine with this one - in fact she followed me upstairs when I did the landing carpet - and the others were all curious rather than worried about it!  ;D

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2008, 20:59:12 PM »
I can't believe that a wet flower would pick up much cat hair, maybe a bunch of them but not just one on its own  ;D ;D

As for cat hair on my clothes I lie down on the carpet and let Frankie run the carpet sweeper over me, un-comfortable but fairly effective  ;D ;D

I hope it's a success for you all.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 20:54:05 PM »
a damp marigold works really well  ;)

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 20:51:31 PM »
anyone got any ideas on something other than that useless sticky lint roll to get the clouds of fur from all over everything I wear? Don't think I can lie down and vacuum/carpet sweep myself lol.
I've even made peeps sneeze in the bus  :evillaugh:

[/color]
All I do is dip my hands in some water and brush myself down with my hands.  Then vac the hairs up from the floor!!!   :naughty: :rofl:

Mary

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2008, 19:27:41 PM »
I saw the g-tech one when I was googling today  I will google all day to save 20p  :evillaugh:
I just hope it's as good - I would hate to get one that doesn't work as well. Oddly, the Vileda one isn't on Vileda's website  :Crazy:

We don't have a Robert Dyas anywhere near here so by the time I pay for delivery, not a lot gained  :(

Which model do you have Gillian? - there are a few by the look of it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 19:35:16 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2008, 19:23:18 PM »
I will push the boat out and "treat" myself to the deluxe  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Mark if you can find the Gtech one (which looking at the picture of the Vileda one that Leigh showed us - is exactly the same - just got Gtech on the front instead of Vileda) its only £29.99 compared to £39.99 for the Argos one. I got mine in Robert Dyas - but I'm sure you could google it and find it online!

I'm glad in a way that the £19.99 Vileda from Argos didnt work in the end, as it made me pop into the other shop and find the bigger one at £10 cheaper than Argos - so  :cheeky: to Argos!!!

I'm just off to try mine now its been charged up - back later with the results LOL!

Link to CatChat