Author Topic: Kitten for old lonely cat (Sorted)  (Read 3121 times)

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Re: Kitten for old lonely cat (Sorted)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
i have adopted Lucy who is 3 she is so sweet and well behaved
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 15:25:40 PM by Janeyk »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Kitten for old lonely cat
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 08:51:29 AM »
Sorry to hear about the loss of your cat.  I think it is a good idea to adopt another cat but if I were in your position I wouldn't adopt one under 6 years infact me personally much older than that - probably a similar age to your resident cat.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 08:55:05 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Re: Kitten for old lonley cat
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 14:52:05 PM »
i lost dennis in Sept. Thanks for the info anyway

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:08 AM »
Definately go for an older cat. You can tell the rescue exactly what your existing cat is like, they can find one of a matching nature and they'll be on hand to help with any advice and questions during the early stages.

When I lost mine, I knew she was heading downhill for a while as she didn't respond to CRF treatment. Josh had already started to act weird and that only got worse when she left us. I wanted to introduce a new cat straight away but oh said "Is that for Josh's grief or yours?". He also said not to go looking and that the situation would resolve itself.

I got involved in rescue as a result and almost a year later when Corporal Smokey came in I knew enough about the cats in our care to know that he was the right one. Josh was still howling at night and hadn't settled. Even though I'm a volunteer at the branch, the ladies said they were always a phonecall away and if it didn't work out I could bring him straight back.

That was really nice to know and I'm so glad I went for a cat that had a developed personality.

In hindsight, although they get on, I think that Smokey is a little kittenish for Josh sometimes (they're 2 and 13) so, heaven forbid, if I were in the same situation again, I think I'd go older still, maybe four and over.

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out  :hug:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 22:30:34 PM »
Hi,
I agree with CarolM here -
I actually think you should BOTH (You and Dennis) wait abit before bringing a new cat into your home.
Sometimes it isnt right to quickly bring in a newbi after the death of a much loved cat.
Its such early days, Dennis will be grieving and wondering where his friend is and might not take to a new cat just yet. HOWEVER , YOU know your cat better than me so if You feel its the right thing to do i hope it all goes well xxxxxxx

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 16:13:51 PM »
I am not to keen on getting a older cat due to the fact that i dont know what they will be like or if they will be house trained etc .
You will actually have MORE idea what an older cat is like because it will already have developed its personality.  Its not always that easy to tell with kittens because they are changing all the time. Forgive me for saying this but you sound as though you are not yet fully committed to the idea of another cat - perhaps you should wait a bit longer and see if Dennis settles into being an only cat.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 15:59:53 PM »
Sorry Carole, I'm confusing things  :shy: I deleted my post from that other thread and put it on this one instead!  Here's Carole's reply from the other thread...

she is 13 she used to like Tabby when she was a bit younger they used to really like each other but as they have aged together they just tolorated each ohter but they did give each other a lick andthey used to sleep together some times. She is quite playfull for her age but has become less so over the last few weeks. She was the dominant one I think but Tabby used to protect her he attatched a cat who was trying to harm Dennis he was a little hero. I am still gutted about him but i feel sorry for Dennis being lonely, or am I just looking into it to much ? Dennis is quite a moody chick she does like to be on your knee a lot and likes to be petted. Does this help

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 15:58:59 PM »
I think most rescues would know generally what the cats temperament is that they rehome and they would know if they are litter trained or not.    I would try and get one close to the temperament of the other babe that you lost, and I think I would be more inclined to go for a male cat as females tend to accept these easier than they would another female.   I would definitely advise at least over 2 years old, at this age they are more settled and less likely to drive her mad with their kitten antics but even older than that would be better.  

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 15:55:25 PM »
Your not too far from us Carole. If you get an adult cat from a rescue, they should be litter trained, we dont home anything that isn't. It really depends on what kind of personality your cat has, and I would be tempted to go for a male cat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 15:53:05 PM »
I just posted this on the other thread you added to as hadn't seen this one...

How old is Dennis Carole?  Also did she seem to enjoy Tabby's company?  What type of personality does she have - was she dominant or submissive, is she playful etc etc  A cat of a similar age and energy level would probably be best for her.  Some cats seem to prefer their own company though, I know when Tiggy's brother died she didn't seem to miss him that much and actually preferred being an only cat. 

I don't think there is a right or wrong time to adopt another cat, I adopted the boys quite soon after losing Tiggy.  It doesn't mean you love Tabby any less, just that you have enough love to share with another cat so if you feel ready and you think Dennis would enjoy the company then go for it.

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 15:52:38 PM »
i am in Rossendale What ages would you say I should go for 2 or older ? I am not to keen on getting a older cat due to the fact that i dont know what they will be like or if they will be house trained etc . Will My cat take to an older mog or am i better just leaving her as is?

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 15:49:22 PM »
What area are you in?  I would think an older cat would be more suitable especially with her age, a kitten might be a little too much for her to handle and this may stress her out even more.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 15:47:53 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your loss. I personally wouldnt go for a kitten, I have oldies and foster cats of all ages, and mine never tolerate anything under the age of 2. What area are you in?
Please spay your cat

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Kitten for old lonely cat (Sorted)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 15:45:42 PM »
 :Luv2: I have a little girl cat of 13 she had a pal Tabby who went over the bridge on the 8th Dec she was really stressed and was over grooming this may have been to do with the fact we have also moved to a flat. The grooming has got better now but i fear she is lonley with only her in the flat all day with nothing to do. She can only go out on the lead as I am scared she will run off she is not playing as much as she used to do and I was woundering if a kitten may give her some company and a play mate. Can anyone help with this please.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 15:26:08 PM by Janeyk »

Link to CatChat