Author Topic: Any advice on introducing kittens to our current cat  (Read 2037 times)

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
Re: Any advice on introducing kittens to our current cat
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 15:56:39 PM »
she is 13 she used to like Tabby when she was a bit younger they used to really like each other but as they have aged together they just tolorated each ohter but they did give each other a lick andthey used to sleep together some times. She is quite playfull for her age but has become less so over the last few weeks. She was the dominant one I think but Tabby used to protect her he attatched a cat who was trying to harm Dennis he was a little hero. I am still gutted about him but i feel sorry for Dennis being lonely, or am I just looking into it to much ? Dennis is quite a moody chick she does like to be on your knee a lot and likes to be petted. Does this help

Offline carole1b

• Adult Cat
  • Lucy Loo
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 15:42:15 PM »
since My Cat Tabby went over the bridge my other femal cat Dennis was really stressed and over grooming this has now calmed down. However we live in a flat now and i can only let her out on a lead, since we are at work in the day time I am worried she is getting really bored. I try to play with her but she does not seem over interested. Do you think a kitten may help bring her round a bit. Its a bit soon after Tabby for me he went on the 8th Dec but my ohter half thinks a kitten will be a pal for Dennis (who is a girl long story !) Also will she get on with a boy cat or a girl better ? can anyone help me at all. Also is there any ketten at this time of year

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 13:55:09 PM »
Ruth has given you some great advice.

Let them all get on with it (keeping a close eye of course)
Missy will give them a slap but thats fine its her way of letting them know the pecking order.

It wont take long for them to get on, i bet within a week they are all playing together.

Can we see some pics of the babies ?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 23:26:11 PM »
Misty will be unsure about them at the moment but that is a natural cats reaction.....it wont be too long before they are all running around mental together.....just watch she's not too rough playing with them.......cant see any props just remember she has to let the kittens know who is boss.....does she play games? If so play her fave game and prob the kittens will join in.....dont think she'l run away but better to let her know that they are not a threat to her ;)

Good luck x

oh and  :welcome: to purrs!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 23:21:36 PM »
Hi &  :welcome: to Purrs

I don't have any experience of introducing kittens to an older resident but have a look at this link...  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html  Wizz is an animal behaviourist and runs her own rescue.  Many people on here have followed her advice and introductions have gone smoothly. 

Would love to see pics of your new arrivals and of course Misty  ;D  Sorry to hear about the loss of your other cats  :hug:

Offline peteoggy

• Kitten
Any advice on introducing kittens to our current cat
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 22:59:57 PM »
Hi all, this is my first post on the forum. We have just got 2 kittens (8 weeks old) 1 male 1 female siblings. Our existing 5 year old female Misty seems a little unsure about them, stays away - staring at them, and hisses when they approach her. We`have a cat flap and Misty is used to coming and going as she pleases, but obviously we have had to lock this. Misty wants to go out but we are afraid she may never return.

The kittens have only been here a few hours, do we need to be concerned?

Misty has always been very friendly, loving and playful, has always been the youngest of 3 cats, 2 of which passed away recently. They were not related and all very different ages.

Any other advice whatsoever would really be verymuch appreciated too.

Thanks to you all in anticipation.  :scared:

Link to CatChat