Cat Health & Behaviour > For Disabled Cats

2 weeks in

<< < (3/4) > >>

princesskasren:

--- Quote from: Liz on May 04, 2013, 19:09:25 PM ---Hello, he as the moment trying to remember the space he has been given and memorise and scent walls, door frames etc so he can move on to the next part of the house

Also you could try having an extra tray so they could both use it and then it would smell of both of them

Little steps in the key as their other senses are heightened when they loose one of them

The yowling is quite normal it is their way of letting another cat know they are around and you where they are I know our blind boy yowled when he thought we couldn't see him when he was in the garden once we had stroked him he went off on his wanders again

It all sounds normal and please don't be put off by some sharp comments just continue doing what you are doing and things should work out fine, also if you have a Feliway or air freshner plugged in near the grit box my advice would be move it  as the scent can be off putting for your blind boy and confuse his sense of smell

--- End quote ---

Hiya, I do have a Feliway but it's plugged in on the other side of the room but just in case even that is too close I will move it to the furthest corner from his littertray. I have a small uncovered littertray that I have placed outside his room so when I let him explore upstairs(with Jez locked in a room downstairs he could use it. He indeed does use it but Jezabel will not. She put her head above it gave it a big sniff then turned around and did her fake spraying posture she does when she is not amused!!! LOL
Thanks so much for the advice.

princesskasren:

--- Quote from: Gill (sneakiefeline) on May 04, 2013, 18:25:49 PM ---14 days is a few days!

--- End quote ---

LOL you measure time differently then as a few for me is 3 or 4!

Liz:
Hello, he as the moment trying to remember the space he has been given and memorise and scent walls, door frames etc so he can move on to the next part of the house

Also you could try having an extra tray so they could both use it and then it would smell of both of them

Little steps in the key as their other senses are heightened when they loose one of them

The yowling is quite normal it is their way of letting another cat know they are around and you where they are I know our blind boy yowled when he thought we couldn't see him when he was in the garden once we had stroked him he went off on his wanders again

It all sounds normal and please don't be put off by some sharp comments just continue doing what you are doing and things should work out fine, also if you have a Feliway or air freshner plugged in near the grit box my advice would be move it  as the scent can be off putting for your blind boy and confuse his sense of smell

Gill (sneakiefeline):
14 days is a few days!

princesskasren:

--- Quote from: Kay&3Ts on May 04, 2013, 16:14:16 PM ---his reaction seems quite normal to me, given that cats in the wild mark their territory with urine - so when he smells Jezabel's he is naturally wary - so another thing you could try is adding some of his used litter to her tray, and vice versa, to mix the scents up

another thing you could try, assuming it's an open litter tray, is swapping it with a covered one, to minimise the smell of the litter

--- End quote ---

Ok thanks taht was sort of what I wanted to do...put a little bit of Jezabels' litter in a plastic little tub next to his at first just to see if he would go near his litter with her smell there and then if he was fine with that I would do as you said and mix then them a bit. They are both covered boxes but with no doors as neither of them would use it with the door...lol. He has smelt Jez before as I rubbed her with a sock and then stroked Oscar as he likes to be groomed and mixed their scents but I guess urine is so much more potent perhaps it scared him. I just want to do this right and not rush either and I know it is going to be trial and error.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version