Cat Health & Behaviour > For Disabled Cats

2 weeks in

<< < (2/4) > >>

Liz:
It does take time, I have had Billie Jo since February and she had an awful lot of vet visits, eye creams and drops and decided to live in our downstairs study and hide everytime we went near her, she had an eye ablasion and that didn't work so her eye was removed the following week, now 5 weeks in she is sociable, friendly and now mixes with the others

I have some who choose to live upstairs during the day and others who happily mix upstairs and down, I have indoor only, indoor/outdoor and outdoor only and all get on well it takes time and lot of effort on my part as I have Feral, domestic and pedigrees and all are after a lot of work and time a happy sociable bunch unless we have visitors the ferals take a couple of days to come back to their spaces but it is worth the effort and time and love are the key ;D

princesskasren:
Oscar has only been here for about 2 weeks. He was adopted from Cat's Protection and the vet says he may have been blind from birth. A lady found him wandering in the countryside and wanted to keep him but her husband was allergic so I adopted him. I just cannot imagine dumping any animal let alone a helpless blind one. From what I have heard it will prob take longer for them to like each other so I am ok to wait on them.

Oscar seems hesitant to go downstairs and if he does you have to lure him back upstairs with some food...lol...so maybe it will work out one floor(territory) for each cat. I would love it if they became best pals but I would be ok with everyone living harmoniously. I know what you mean about worrying that I have made a mistake but I would never give him back as I would worry if anyone would take him but it's difficult juggling both cats and trying to make sure neither is unhappy or scared...and not just for their sake as unhappy cats make for unhappy humans!

Lyn (Slugsta):
I must be so worrying for you, I guess you are anxious that you might have made a bad decision that will make either cat unhappy? For how long has Oscar been blind? Is he just having to get used to his new home, or is he still adapting to the blindness too?

It sounds as if Jez has been mistress of her domain up til now, so of course she has had her nose put out of joint by the interloper. Today I was reading Milo's account of moving in with Sol, he said that she hissed at him if he tried to go upstairs for quite a while but eventually she settled and 'led' him up to show him the bedroom. I really hope that Jez and Oscar will settle down too, given time.

princesskasren:
The funny thing is is taht if Oscar does keep going towards the door Jez just runs away...it's all just posturing and everyone is still safe on their side of teh mesh screen. ;D

princesskasren:
So one question answered today...Whilst letting Oscar wander the rest of the house I put Jez in Oscar's room so she could check it out and when I returned to check on her she was using his litterbox...perhaps she was marking it as her territory. I hope that now he will use it after her and not get freaked. Also Jes seems to be always at the door of his room watching when I am in there with him and whenever he makes a move towards the door she hisses at him as if she's trying to make him stay in this one part of the house...the rest is hers!!! LOL He's actually not that bothered anymore. He would growl at first but now he just turns and walks over to his bed or food.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version