Author Topic: Fish and Chips  (Read 5808 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Fish and Chips
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 14:39:27 PM »
According to google Tomatoes are a no go (would never have thought that). Apparently they cause gastrointestinal systems and just one cherry tomato nearly killed a cat  :Crazy:

On the ASPCA (american) site it states

"The green parts of the tomato plant are considered toxic because they contain solanine, which has the potential to produce significant gastrointestinal and central nervous system effects. However ripe tomatoes, the part of the plant typically used in food products, are not toxic. Therefore, we would not expect any poisoning-related issues with the tomato content of your cat food.
For additional helpful information on pet poison prevention, please visit APCC (animal poison control centre) online. "

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2007, 21:59:42 PM »
Mine love the tomato pilchards too, i think toms are like garlic, an open jury cos some people use garlic in different supplements  :shify:
Eating the plant leaves may be a different story

Mine are lover of Pilcahrds too :evillaugh:
'As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat'

"A cat will be your friend, but never your slave."

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 19:11:56 PM »
Lexy shows no interest in tinned fish. Tuna, pilchards, sardines. I tried it before and landed up eating it myself  :-:  She just sniffs at it, can't be bothered.

Cod from the chippie...well that's another story. She's her mum's girl that's for sure!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 18:56:47 PM »
your one consolation in all of this is that the tomato sauce on sardines contains so little in the way of tomato to barely qualify for the name. Most tomato sauce you buy in bottles (heinz, rosella, whatever) is mainly pureed potato with tomato flavour and food colouring. So don't stress too much. I would not encourage doing it on a daily basis but once in a blue moon is unlikely to be a problem unless the animal is tomato-intolerant (or more precisely, intolerant of the fruit of the solanum family - which includes egg plants, capsicums, chilis etc, as well as potatos, but there you are eating the roots - an deadly nightshade)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 17:39:21 PM »
I could be completely wrong here, but I remember being told the following:

Tomato plants are HIGHLY toxic
The fruits, when raw, are indigestible to cats an cause severe irritation of the gut lining, which can produce scar tissue and serious gastrointesitnal problems.
Cooked tomato is a bit of a grey area - pureed / strained and cooked is the safest, as the toxic compunds are larely broken down, and the seeds are absent. From what I recall, this type is "safe" in low doses, but owners should exercise caution and ensure very small amounts very occasionally, if at all.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 17:33:50 PM »
According to google Tomatoes are a no go (would never have thought that). Apparently they cause gastrointestinal systems and just one cherry tomato nearly killed a cat  :Crazy:

Eek I've been using sardines in tomato sauce all the time when I've been out trapping!!! I'd hate to think I've made any of them ill or killed them  :'(  :'(

Edited for typing error
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 17:56:40 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 17:30:41 PM »
I'm not too worried about them eating inappropriate foods but I don't give my cats food from my plate, because, being such opportunists, they may well be getting such food elsewhere. The only exception is Sonia who, because I thought she had only a short time left, I spoiled rotten. Now I've almost turned vegetarian, as she has most of the meat off my plate. (Not straight off, I pick it up and hand it to her!) She hardly ever goes out though, and always supervised, so she won't be overdosing on any of the risky foods.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
Mine love the tomato pilchards too, i think toms are like garlic, an open jury cos some people use garlic in different supplements  :shify:
Eating the plant leaves may be a different story

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:35 AM »
Oooer. Baggins loves the tomato sauce from my plate after I've had pasta. He says it what gives him orangeness.

Is it really bad for him?
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
I have had cats like tomato sauce on food (i.e. spag out of a tin) and been fine.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2007, 00:40:14 AM »
Hmmmm I wondering about this tomato cos what do most of rescues use when they trapping cats it seems, pilchards in tomato sauce!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2007, 21:37:10 PM »

Oh dear  :-:  No more tomatoes for Riley then, lettuce is his favourite anyway followed by carrot so I'm sure he won't be too upset  :evillaugh:

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2007, 19:03:13 PM »

Well I made Sausage Casrole ( I know Yummy huh) and after I had dinner I walked into the kitchen and she was their head first in the pan licking the tomatoe juice.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2007, 15:34:59 PM »
Bit like us if someone asks whats the best flea collar  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2007, 10:46:10 AM »
Tomatoes are part of the deadly nightshade family i think, i know the plats arent good for cats, not sure about the fruits?

Yes they are, along with potatoes and peppers.They can cause immune system problems.

I was googling the other day and realised what Dolcetta meant about foodie sites  :scared:
Someone had dared to ask if peppers were part of the nightshade family. She was told by a mod that it was a food site and nighshade is not recognised as a group. She was told that foods are grouped into legumes, cereals etc with lists of what they included. She was told to edit her  her question or post it on a horticultural forum  :scared: :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 10:18:08 AM »

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 21:11:50 PM »
Tomatoes are part of the deadly nightshade family i think, i know the plats arent good for cats, not sure about the fruits?

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 09:27:56 AM »
Onions, whether cooked, raw or dried damage the red blood cells leading to amemia and can eventually cause death. It can also irritate the mouth and stomach and potentially cause ulcers.
Garlic is a lot less severe. Oddly enough garlic is used a a good defence against fleas  :scared:. I can't remember the quantites which are dangerous. I did have it for dogs and obviously cats have a lower tolerance.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 09:17:39 AM »
Do be careful with some of these things you are giving your cats - onions can cause issues, I Can't remember offhand if any of hte other veg can.

It's anything in the onion family ie Leeks, Garlic, chives etc. (apparently Lilies are part of the onion family - or is it onions are part of the Lily family?  :Crazy: )

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 09:05:04 AM »
Come dinner time (we eat on the sofa with lap trays as the dining room table is always covered in John's paperwork  :shocked:), there will always be a Maxy sitting on the back of sofa, eying each plate with intent  :evillaugh:  If you ignore him, he'll gently tap your shoulder so you remember he's there and want some food  :evillaugh: 

He's much better than he used to be, he'd sell his soul for salmon and has been known to try and  hook food of my plate before, but he's kind of out of that habit now.

He knows that he'll get saved a bit once we've finished eating, or I put in in a little bowl so he knows its 'his' dinner.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 08:16:36 AM »
I don't mind them begging as it's natural and they are just as entitled to it as me  :Luv:

I'm with Mark on that. They're bound to want a bit of what I'm having if I'm stuffing my face with a plate full of fish.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 07:54:21 AM »
Do be careful with some of these things you are giving your cats - onions can cause issues, I Can't remember offhand if any of hte other veg can.
Please spay your cat

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2007, 23:49:40 PM »
Sauteed onions and shrooms, mashed potatoes mixed with parmigiano and butter, cheese covered brussel sprouts and broccoli (though I suspect he is only tasting the cheese...) are some of Oliver's favourite veggies...

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2007, 23:19:10 PM »
Salad dont know :Crazy: but mary def likes onion leaves  :Crazy: :rofl: 

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2007, 21:57:05 PM »
That's so cool! My first cat, Ash, liked cucumber, peppers, and peas! lol

Sophia likes tomatoes

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 21:09:12 PM »
That's so cool! My first cat, Ash, liked cucumber, peppers, and peas! lol

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 21:03:59 PM »
A cat that likes salad?  thats gotta be a first :Crazy:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 20:58:52 PM »
Sophia ( Could be a maine coon) doesn't like chicken , is this right? :Crazy:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 20:09:38 PM »
Just had my dinner, breaded chicken breast and salad in a wrap, kind of like a healthy KFC Twister.  Riley was begging throughout the preparation and while I was eating it.  Saved him some salad (his fave) and here he is a few minutes ago tucking in  :)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 19:45:39 PM »
luckily, our Riley has never been one to beg, but if it's something he likes (turkey, steak, fish etc), I usually set aside a bit to cook without sauce etc for him. He doesn't get it until after we have finished, and is a very polite boy - he sits nicely and takes it gently. Skye is a moocher, which doesn't bother me too much - she will learn to wait. What I do object to is them trying to eat off your plate >:( She used to do this a lot more, but since being with us she is starting to learn that this behaviour means not only do you not get anything, but you will earn a full minute in time out :shocked: (of course, afterwards all is forgiven, and cuddles & playtime follows! :Luv:) ) in fact, she has only done so twice in the last 2 weeks. This is less because of time out than because Riley tells her off - he won't let her get away with anything he isn't allowed to do! When she is well behaved (like her big bro) she gets fussed and is given her share of the "cat portion" :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 19:41:39 PM »
Forget the begging, Oliver "DEMANDS" his share.  Usually I take care of that by giving him a little portion of what we are eating just before we start our dinner, but sometimes I still have to hear about it when he decides that the "portion" was not big enough  :Crazy: :doh: :evillaugh:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 19:36:17 PM »
i wish mine would beg for some food off my plate, it would make them seem like normal cats  ;) ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 19:32:02 PM »
I don't mind them begging as it's natural and they are just as entitled to it as me  :Luv:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 19:25:40 PM »
I don't like Riley begging (Lucas, as always, is angelic and wouldn't dream of it) so he never gets anything while I'm eating but I always save him something if he's shown an interest in what I'm eating, Lukey gets some too of course  :)

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 19:22:04 PM »
Mine go mad if we have fish or chicken as food,they don't bother with other meats like beef etc but fish and chicken they go mad for.  I am a cruel meowmy as I have been known to lock them in another room when eating fish or chicken :-[
Love me,love my animals.

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 19:06:53 PM »
Have to say, I dont like my cats begging, and am lucky at the moment I dont have any that do. I rarely give into them either, although Tiger did get some pie crust yesterday.

To be honest I dont like them begging but I felt sorry for them as I was out for a very long time today. I went to the lakes :briggin:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 19:04:12 PM »
Have to say, I dont like my cats begging, and am lucky at the moment I dont have any that do. I rarely give into them either, although Tiger did get some pie crust yesterday.
Please spay your cat

Offline SophiasMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 18:58:02 PM »
:evillaugh: not that you're under their paws at all..... :rofl:

I have to confess that when I get fish and chips, I get the batter and the chips and the fish goes to the cats. If I am lucky I get a couple of mouthfuls to myself...

Well I must confess I couldn't stand their little cute faces anymore and I gave in  :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 18:57:06 PM »
:evillaugh: not that you're under their paws at all..... :rofl:

I have to confess that when I get fish and chips, I get the batter and the chips and the fish goes to the cats. If I am lucky I get a couple of mouthfuls to myself...

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 18:51:29 PM »
It is when the paws move from the leg and head towards my fork  :rofl: :rofl:  Little horrors  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Link to CatChat