Author Topic: definitive moments :)  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: definitive moments :)
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2007, 17:28:43 PM »
In my experience, yes, there are definitive moments.  With Tabitha, it was the evening she looked up at me and then climbed onto my lap.  I was so touched by this I hardly dared to breathe, but she just settled down.

With Blip, the first morning after she arrived, my OH got up and immediately came running back to tell me that Blip had vanished. I rushed into the living room, where we had confined her, to find that she had had an accident on the sofa.  She was nowhere to be seen and we could not imagine where she was: I eventually found her cowering away right at the back behind the sofa.  I was then sure she thought she was going to be punished for making a mess and I believe I was right, because after I had just calmly brought her breakfast to her and encouraged her to come out and eat it, we have never looked back.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 19:24:27 PM »
awww bless! did he not know when to stop, then? :rofl: I know this is a cat forum, but I think that lovely story warrants a pic of shadow! :Luv2:

always willing to oblige - and no, he didn't know when to stop, he is part labrador ...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 19:33:18 PM by blackcat »

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
I agree very much with you, there's definitely a moment where one earns a cats trust, it might take days, it might take months or even years perhaps but there certainly is such a moment. All mine are different, with Alfie it took a few weeks before he fully settled in and I earned, yes I think earned is the appropriate word, his trust and this trust has grown ever since. When I got him he was pretty nervous and a tickle of the tummy or a touch of his legs earned a swift claws-out swipe in return, but that all changed and now he's a "pussy cat" if you excuse the expression  ;D and he'll invite me to stroke his tummy etc. at the drop of a hat. Frankie settled very quickly after only a few days, as he came from a 13 cat household where I suppose he didn't get much, if any, individual attention it didn't take him long to realise that "this is a good thing, I've got a lap pretty much to myself, I don't have to fight for food and a warm place to curl up and sleep, marvellous, yes sir, I'll have some of this this thank you very much!"  ;D . Suzie, my mum's 17 YO cat who I adopted last year was very frightened by the change of scenery, she used to sleep behind my head on the pillow and avoid the others and hiss at them but she's settled in eventually and is so affectionate to me that she'd be only too happy if I spent 24 hours a day in bed so that she had my constant attention and affection instead of which she only has me to herself for a megre 9 hours a day  ;D ;D

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 10:09:03 AM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 08:24:38 AM »
I certainly agree with you, just can't really place any of them at the moment - although my current 2 were fosters who nobody wanted, Molly's moment was more in the rescue, she wasn't eating or doing anything (We now think she was depressed), and the resue lady wasn't sure about moving her - but Molly sat on my knee, went to sleep and refused to move, so made her change her mind - then didn't wnat to be isolated and ran between my legs after 2 days of isolation!! Within 2 weeks, she was eating loads, and enjoying life again. I have a pic of her that shows she was meant to stay here for the rest of her life, I'll post it later. I think I knew early on that Tiger wouldnt be going anywhere, she doesnt' really like humans, and runs from most people!!
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 22:35:28 PM »
awww bless! did he not know when to stop, then? :rofl: I know this is a cat forum, but I think that lovely story warrants a pic of shadow! :Luv2:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 19:12:07 PM »
when i brought Shadow home from the RSPCA I was not sure that he was the dog for me. Basically my friend talked me into taking him (it's ok, I had gone there with the express intention of bringing a dog home - just wasn't 100% committed to Shadow). Then, due to me feeding him, my friend feeding him and a third visitor feeding him, he came down with the worst distended tummy and diarrhoea, and it was hot and steamy queensland weather so clearly he would die if no vet treatment. I took him down the road to the vet to have him treated, and burst into tears at the thought this great lump of a puppy might die (he really was the ugliest puppy). Seems that was the moment I realised I had him for life... :Luv:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
definitive moments :)
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 18:00:56 PM »
Both my cats are rescues, and I have come to believe there is a moment with each rescue cat when you think "yup, they've decided to stay - this is home now". :Luv:
Skye and I have shared just that moment this evening - she has spent the last hour limply asleep on my lap, twitching and grumbling to herself as she dreams like a little loon  :Luv2: This level of total trust and relaxation says it all - she's decided to keep us! :rofl:
Just wondered if anyone else has had such "eureka" moments with their furbabes (rescued or not)? ;D

Link to CatChat