Author Topic: Stitches - ouch!  (Read 4914 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Stitches - ouch!
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 22:32:28 PM »
Yikes! :shocked: Well, they will only be 2 days "overdue" when they come out, so hopefully they will still be loose and won't have "healed in" by then  :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 22:05:20 PM »
Gill, stitches get tighter if they are left too long and then they get painful to remove, the body kinda heals them in i guess as it takes more of a tug to get them through  :sick:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 21:46:33 PM »
Well, here's hoping! They are staying put so far, but I'm happy either way - just glad its healed up nicely and she is back to confusing the hell out of Riley :rofl:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 08:19:40 AM »
'yeah, that is generally the case. I have started to leave collars off after about 6 days, as it will have healed enough not to be an issue if they come out then (and hoping they will save me a trip to the vets!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 20:52:06 PM »
We have been leaving it off most of the time, but I agree - as of tomorrow we will leave it off completely. Typically, now it's healed enough that it no longer matters what she does, she is showing no interest in the stitches at all! I'm guessing its because they don't itch so much anymore, with most of the healing done,

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 19:26:18 PM »
If for some reason mine have to go back a day or two after the day they are due out, i leave the collar off them and let them do what they like.
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 17:31:58 PM »
My goodness that is small, and of course the stitches will become looser and looser before they come out as the swelling all goes.............ummmm maybe she could then save you a journey  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh, I know!  :rofl: :rofl: They are hanging out, now, and really look like they are ready to come out. They are actually due out tomorrow, but there were no appts until Thurs, so if she does pull them out now it doesn't really matter!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007, 17:11:52 PM »
My goodness that is small, and of course the stitches will become looser and looser before they come out as the swelling all goes.............ummmm maybe she could then save you a journey  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007, 17:05:49 PM »
main thing is that its looking good.. not long now and they should be ready to come out!  just a few more days eh!  :oolala:

It really is - I'm soo impressed with how fast she has healed, and how small the wound was ;D I did work experience in a vets many. many moons ago when I was in 6th year, and in those days they still did a large midline incision as a matter of course. Good to see how far things have come in that time - it's practically keyhole surgery now! I'll still feel a lot better when the sutures are finally out, tho. I've been watching the poor thing like a hawk this whole time - I wonder if she's getting paranoid! :rofl:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 15:31:41 PM »
main thing is that its looking good.. not long now and they should be ready to come out!  just a few more days eh!  :oolala:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 17:47:45 PM »
Here's a pic on the day she had the op - you can see the wound still looks a little red (that's all gone, now), and the tie-off is quite long (now trimmed, tho actual stitch intact). It's hard to see just how thick and dense her fur is, but it gives a general idea.
She's healed really well - just to clarify, when I said she was cleaning around the area, I meant she was restricting her grooming to the intact fur, leaving the shaved area and sutures alone - sorry for any confusion!
I know what you mean, Lynn - in the strictest sense, animals saliva is not truly antibiotic, more bacteriostatic. As with a lot of scientific info, the act of simplifying the facts often renders them inaccurate. Bacteriostatics, in all practical purposes with regard to wound healing, act like antibiotics. It's just that most people understand "antibiotic" rather than "bacteriostatic".
Edited to add: the collar gets put on again when we go out, and overnight, as we obviously can't keep an eye on what she is up to!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 17:51:01 PM by unseeliechylde »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 14:59:21 PM »
 :-[

ah well then the stitches are prob about ready to come out, altho if a chunk of flank looked like it was lifting up with the stitches then perhaps its not healed enough yet.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 14:56:03 PM »
Its been a week Lynn  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 13:18:39 PM »
Dogs and cats dont have natural antibiotics in their saliva but i have heard that myth before  :tired:

Dont let her lick and i'd be putting the collar back on esp when your back is going to be turned or you may end up with another ga & resuture to pay for.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 13:10:30 PM »
you realise you are now obliged to post pix :rofl: :rofl: They are tricky little beasts with their fur - it often hides all manner of sins. Bob, who for some time I thought might be wasting away because his spine was so prominent, turned out to be hiding all his fat on his tummy and the long hair hid it until one day he rolled on his back, exposing this vast wasteland of pink blubber :Luv2: Old age and gravity does that to all of us sadly ...

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 13:06:17 PM »
Well, I have trimmed the excess tie-off ends from her stitches, and it seems to have helped. I can now leave her buster collar off, and she just cleans around the wound, leaving the sutures alone *phew* :)
She gets them out on Thursday, and the wound looks to be healing well, no redness, ooze, odour etc, so all should be fine :)
One thing I have noticed - where she's been shaved for the op: her fur is sooooo dense, about an inch long but REALLY thick and "wooly", very very soft and velvety, like chinchilla fur. We thought she was quite a stocky little cat, but under all that hair she's tiny! :rofl:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 17:07:28 PM »
I think it annoys them that theres something stuck there, they are normally fastidious <sp> with grooming so must be annoying!
The last lot of mine i had spayed had glue and stitches, the stitches lasted no time at all and they were happy once they had gone

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 23:03:12 PM »
Honestly, it's probably playing havoc with my blood pressure! :evillaugh: Its just typical that she would be one of those that can't leave well alone :loon: I suppose I can see the sense of it - I know dogs have an antibiotic in theor saliva, and actually heal faster (in the case of superficial wounds) if allowed to lick at and clean the injury themselves, so maybe cats are similar. Of course she doesn't know it's more serious than a "flesh wound", as it punctures the abdominal cavity. I'm just amazed that pulling it didn't seem to hurt or faze her - you'd think she'd be like, "ouch - that hurts! Best leave it alone" :ooops:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 21:19:20 PM »
oh gawd!!   :Nooooo:

Cats are a nightmare with stitches aren't they... can't take your eyes off them for a minute!!!!

I don't know whether its to do with a pain threshold or that they see them as a foreign body that shouldn't be there and want to pull them out.  Yet, you can get the cats that never touch them!!!!   :sigh:

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline furballmom

• Senior Cat
  • Gimlee and Phoenix
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 19:19:04 PM »
phoenix did the same thing with her stitches only she managed to pull them out but luckily she had healed enough by then not to cause herself any damage phew

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Stitches - ouch!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 17:42:36 PM »
Ok, so today I took Skye's buster collar off for like 10 minutes, just to give it a clean and see how she would react *sigh* Well, the stitches are still in, but not for want of trying! :shocked: She grabbed the loose ends between her wee front teeth, and PULLED! :shocked: I mean, to the point that it looked as if she might take a chunk of flank out with the sutures! Has this little girl no concept of pain!? It's a SURGICAL WOUND for crying out loud! If I did something like that, it would be agony, but she seemed to be rather enjoying herself (or my reaction - hard to decide!).
Are cat's pain thresholds really THAT high?

Link to CatChat