Author Topic: 7 month old cat biting new 7 week old kitten neck.....  (Read 7177 times)

Offline diggy

• Kitten
Re: 7 month old cat biting new 7 week old kitten neck.....
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007, 07:52:12 AM »
Pusscat is called Minna.

Yeah, I meant the collar.  She's had it on all night and we'll leave it on today then take it off and see how she is doing.  She was a bit confused it first, walking into things and catching it on everything, she seems to have got used to it now though, still tries to pull it off very now and then!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 18:04:40 PM »
I take it you mean the lampshade collar,  :-:

If you've put it on yourself make sure its tight enough and anchored with her collar etc.  She might quite possibly have to keep it on until her stitches come out but it depends how determined she is, some cats dont bother so i'd keep it on today and tonight and see what she's like tomorrow, if she has another go then just leave it on.  Monitor to make sure she can eat and drink (and get to the litter tray)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 17:58:09 PM »
What is her name?

Didnt your vet tell you this and when she has to go back for stitch removal? It will be until she goes back.

Offline diggy

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 17:31:05 PM »
Just got our little pusscat back from vet :'(  Very sore looking scar on her side....

As soon as she got home she was pulling at her stitches so have put her lovely new hat on her, she's been wearing it about an hour and slowly getting used to it, how long should she wear this for?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 20:21:21 PM »
Great   ;D

Feliway is cheaper from vet uk and some rescues here have links that earn them some pennies  :wow:

Offline diggy

• Kitten
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
Booked her in to 'get done' :-: next wednesday.  Had a chat with the vet, she recommened Felliway as well?  Going to order some tonight.

Have decided against the cage, we will supervise the cats all the time they are together, as for the eldest getting annoyed when the kitten is locked in her own room, she seems quite relaxed about it and it gives her a chance for un-divided attention from us :wow:!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 23:05:04 PM »
Yes and perhaps with the kitten being totally shut away and having a room to itself when you are not there may be annoying the older cat too ?

(ps i know a few bits n bobs but bow to many others knowledge on purrs regarding behavioural type subjects so this is only my opinion)

The type of cage i was meaning was something like the extra large one from argos, they are collapsible so easily stored when not needed, it means the cats can see and smell each other and communicate but cannot physically harm each other.  this type of set up can be extremely useful for introducing animals.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 20:50:40 PM »
Caging temporarily is a lot better than her getting injured by the 7 month old cat.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 20:48:44 PM »
If she has her own room then thats better even than a cage but sounds like you need to make sure that kitten is safe.......Lynn knows all aboiut this stuff so good advice  ;D

Offline diggy

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 20:46:52 PM »
hmmm, dunno, caging her seems cruel?  When we aren't here to supervise she has her own room with bed, toys, litter tray and food. 

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 20:05:11 PM »
Could you not keep the kitten in a dog type cage so the cats can still see each other but the kitten will remain safe.  The thing i'd be afraid for apart from physical injury is the kitten taking this on as a "learned behaviour" they do most of their social learning at this age (which is why it shouldnt actually be away from its mum or siblings at 7 weeks old, 8 is the earliest but 12-13 wks is far better ! )

I certainly wouldnt be letting this continue thats for sure or the kitten is going to end up with an eye injury or nasty cat bite abcess.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 19:56:04 PM »
Definitely a play reaction but the seven month old is still too young to realise that it is playing too rough, and the seven week old is too small to stand its ground. Partly a dominance thing also. Don't favour one above the other and it should sort itself out in a couple of weeks as the kitten gets big enough to stand up for itself...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 19:55:22 PM »
Great, it can help attitudes!

Whilst kitten is so small i would supervise, i dont think the older kitten would intentionally harm the little one but accidents can happen.

The poor kitten screams in pain, can't breathe but goes back for more
:rofl:

Offline diggy

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 19:50:57 PM »
Yeah this is posted on catchat as well, trying to get all the advice I can!

Will be talking to a vet tomorrow re speying.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 19:49:03 PM »
This is also on catchat i think?

Its a play reaction but obviously theres a uneven size issue. My boys play like this but are similar weights so the one being choked can escape if they wish, Taz quite enjoys it  :rofl:

Have you decided on getting the older one spayed yet?

Offline diggy

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 19:48:16 PM »
I do hope so, it just looks so vicious!  The poor kitten screams in pain, can't breathe but goes back for more, I don't get it!  Also I worry how far it will go if I don't intervene, will the cat suffocate the kitten?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 19:45:11 PM »
It sounds like they are play fighting to me as they go straight back and do it again..............but there are people with kittens out there that will know better than me  ;D

Offline diggy

• Kitten
7 month old cat biting new 7 week old kitten neck.....
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 19:41:31 PM »
We have a seven month old cat.  We have just got her a new friend a 7 week kitten.  (both female)

They have been slowly getting on better and better over the last week.  They now play together, eat together etc....However every now and then, when they are play fighting and tumbling around, the cat will get the kitten on her back and bite her throat to the extent the kitten looks like it is struggling to breathe.  Every time so far I have intervened with a water pistol to get the cat off.  They immediately start playing again, the kitten apparently not bothered!

I am concerned that this behaviour is wrong and potentially fatal to the kitten.  Has anyone had this experience or can give me any advice on what best to do?

Link to CatChat