Author Topic: Rimadyl  (Read 4677 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Rimadyl
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
I consider it to be a double blade sword Des. On the one hand i feel its totally crap and "red tape" which means once again we come off worse  or our pockets anyway and that will have a knock on effect for some animals depending on owners being able to afford treatments.  I am not totally sure why human licensed drugs again i use preds as a classic example of a incredabily cheap drug having to be so expensive under the animal license use.  I know these licenses cost thousands if not millions and maybe its because humans use a massive amount more than animals so abit like corner shop versus wholesale bulk buy comparison.
On the other hand i guess certain drugs wont have a license for a reason ie trial proven safety of the drug in a specific species and so tightening up on what vets are up to isnt a bad thing but i think it perhaps has swung the balance to far the other way from some (not all) vets being too lax and possibly making mistakes to them having to make sure they play by the now new "book" and not having any leeway. 

With the likes of metacam and rimadyl i cant actually think of any human alternatives that were used in cats apart from ketofen tablets which was always licensed in cats anyway but it wasnt like ibruprofen or stuff like that was being used.

Off the top of my head the drugs we commonly prescribed and was human drugs (but the exact same thing as the animal equivelent) are steriods, epilepsy tabs, hypothryroid drugs, some antibiotics, i think neomercazole was also human use, diuretics ie frusemide.  I'm sure there were others but those were the commonly used and dispensed ones on a near every day basis all of which are massively more expensive just coz they have to have the different "animal use" label on them.   Even stuff like Rapinovet the anaesthetic was always expensive for us to buy at cost and obviously the price of ga's and ops will then reflect this but to buy the generic "propofol" which was exactly same in 20ml glass vials but a different label was almost half the price so because most stuff like that will have a set mark up by the time it goes on your bill obviously the cheaper the stuff was bought for in the first place meant a slightly cheaper bill to you.

Bah its the way it is now so no point in me moaning but it annoys me when I know behind the scenes cost prices,  not the vets fault of course and they pay more for the animal lincensed stuff but pet owners are the ones that ultimately pay the price  :tired:

(ok moan over LOL)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2007, 07:56:53 AM »
Yeah, I forgot the right term the vet used Lynn, but Metacam is now licenced for use in cats, so should be the only thing used - what worries me about the rescue's vet is I have known that Metacam is licenced for months, so how come they are still issuing alternatives? Vet told me a couple of scenarios where due to thigns being licensed, we are paying a lot more (including Metacam). Vet said that if Tiger did well on Rimadyl, she would have to do a lot of documenting to be able to prescribe it to her, as she should be prescribing Metacam (although that doesn't work with Tiger). I fortunately have MEtacam in the house, so if he shows signs of needing it, he shall have it
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 19:40:10 PM »
That isnt new legislation (well it has been for a few years)

it states that a veterinarian MUST use licensed only products on the relevant species UNLESS there are no licensed equivelants available.  However it isnt adhered to 100% , although much more so than before the legislation came out.  THis is when vets started only using animal licensed prednisilone for example, which costs atleast 4 or 5 times the price of the human prednisilone (absolutely no difference in the drug whatsoever ! ) unfortunatley in that type of senario its our pockets that are the only thing that suffers  :tired:

Some one on here actually mentioned the price they pay for preds the other day and i nearly posted what the actual cost of the human type was (only a couple of pennies per tablet, 100 tabs used to cost hardly anything)

Anyway so have you now been put onto metacam desley? (well not you personally but rollo lol)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 19:31:52 PM »
WEll, i finally got an answer from my vet today, due to some new legislation, vets shouldnt be giving out Rimadyl tablets anymore, due to the fact that Metacam is now licenced for use in cats, so now there is something licenced, that should be the only thing used.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2007, 22:55:51 PM »
you maybe missed it but if you scroll right down the answers are in there somewhere  ;)  Basically cats dont handle it so well as dogs and it lasts longer and would have more of an accumalitive effect if given regularily because of the liver being so slow to metabolise it.

Its only the injection that has official licensing for use in cats too altho we know many vets are using the tablets.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2007, 21:20:23 PM »
I too had experience with my dog having Rimadyl over a long period of time.  I too read up the nasties on the internet and was a little nervous but monitored her carefully.  She only had benefit from it, no side effects.

However my cat has occasional shots of it from the vet but the vet does not want to give it very often.  I am at the vet's tomorrow so will check why

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2007, 13:39:04 PM »
Thanks for that - I am still waiting for my vet to get back to me!! He isn't acting in any pain at all at the moment, polished off a plate of JWB and RC Dental last night, so while he isn't, I am going to keep off hte painkillers full stop, I would prefer not to use them if I feel he doesn't need them, and he is perfectly happy at the mo.
Please spay your cat

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »
First up I will say I haven no experience with Rimadyl and cats. But I do have it with dogs.
There is a LOT of information on the internet in regards to Rimadyl and dogs - nearly everything is against it. It is a NSAI - in dogs its main use is with arthritic/joint problems. There have been a lot of reports linking the death of dogs with Rimadyl. I did a TON of research about it, and it is very scary reading at times. I was told not to use it and i'd be putting my dogs life at risk if I did, especially with the dose prescribed. I would like to note, I did not listen to this individual .. as I have a ton of issues with her. I went ahead, closely monitoring my dog ... she didn't die, nor did she have a single problem with it.
I know of a lot of people who have used it on their dogs, without a single problem. Some have had high doses, others have had long courses of it - some over years. I trust my vet a lot.

I know this is no use in one sense since it has nothing to do with cats, but I would just like to inform that there is a lot of info out there. Especially against the use of the drug. On a personal note, it certainly does have it's uses.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2007, 09:06:36 AM »
AS long as you have a VAT exemption certificate you should not pay VAT on any drugs on the charity account/s. Our Charity account has our Treasurers name on e.g CPL SERVICES C/O MISS H GRIFFITHS and then her address.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2007, 23:02:26 PM »
Used to be called "zenecarp" a few years back JS,  carprofen is the active ingredient.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 22:18:54 PM »
Ela - just a query - when I asked my vets to give me a discount, they set up separate accounts, on checking the invoice from yesterday, the name is 'CAT77 Treatment Account' (also have a separate neutering account) - does that mean we could use a VAT exemption certificate? My name and address aren't on anywhere - does confuse new staff though, I actually have 4 separate accounts!!
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 15:15:18 PM »
I've never heard of rimadyl Desley.  :shify: Hope Rolo's OK, though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 11:30:55 AM »
- it does maybe meaning you have to pay the bill and then claim back from the charity quite

The only downside of that is as a private  client you would have to pay VAT on medication where as a charity can get a VAT exemption cert.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 19:38:28 PM »
Not sure whether to use Rimadyl or Metacam on him (vet has been too busy today) - to be honest, he is showing no signs of needing painkillers, so maybe best to give neither, esp as we dont know the state of his organs?

Liz - I do have a discount at my vets, but it isn't as cheap as the rescues to start with, so only used for basics really, some checkups, and for neutering - and cheaper prescription food for the rescues!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 15:24:57 PM »
We had our Breeze on Rymadyl for nearly 9 yeas due to severe arthritus in his hindquarters he was on 1 tablet daily and 2 if he was playing like a puppy usually in the summer

he had no side effects at all but not heard of it for cats and we have had most tablets.

Also the palatable are awful and the non palatable are smaller and easier to give - just a thought as the palatable are big tablets

Also the white ones can be disguised and we found that the easist way

Des just a thought can you not get your vet on the charity list and se what discounts you could get we found that when fostering all went to our vet and we had a seperate account which we paid and if the charity wanted an invoice we could esily get one with all details of teatment and payment - CP were glad of us as our discount was bigger may save you running around and you like your own vet and trust them more - it does maybe meaning you have to pay the bill and then claim back from the charity quite a few of us did this as we had faith in our own vets as they treated our own furkids!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 14:03:53 PM »
It wont have any effect against infection though but it is what i'd ask for if i wanted a nsaid for my lot, however that maybe is because i am very used to the drug and used metacam far less.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 13:50:56 PM »
Our vet often prescribes Rimadyl especially for mouth problems as it seems to work better than say Synulox, it is often used for the reduction of chronic inflammation

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »
Des here are the two listings under uses from Noah.  (where i worked synulox as with most places was used as a very good but general antibiotic but ceporex seemed to be used for the more persistant or harder to budge type infections, esp skins & gi tract probs)

Ceporex
Uses
The Tablets are indicated for oral antibiotic therapy in cats and dogs. Cefalexin is a broad spectrum cephalosporin antibiotic with bactericidal activity against a wide range of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria.
The following micro-organisms have been shown to be sensitive to cefalexin in vitro: Staphylococcus spp (including penicillin-resistant strains), Streptococcus spp, Corynebacterium spp, Pasteurella multocida, Escherichia coli, Micrococcus spp, Moraxella spp.
When susceptible organisms are present, the tablets may be effective in the treatment of infections of the respiratory tract, urogenital tract, the skin and localised infections in soft tissue.
In dogs it may also be effective in the treatment of infections of the gastrointestinal tract.

synulox
Uses
Synulox Palatable Tablets have a notably broad spectrum of bactericidal activity against bacteria commonly found in cats and dogs.
In vitro Synulox is active against a wide range of clinically important aerobic and anaerobic bacteria including:
Gram-positive: Staphylococci (including β-lactamase producing strains); Clostridia; Corynebacteria; Peptostreptococcus spp; Streptococci.
Gram-negative: Bacteroides spp (including β-lactamase producing strains); Escherichia coli (including most β-lactamase producing strains); Salmonellae (including β-lactamase producing strains); Bordetella bronchiseptica; Campylobacter spp; Fusobacterium necrophorum; Klebsiellae; Pasteurellae; Proteus spp.

Clinically Synulox has been shown to be effective in treating a wide range of diseases of cats and dogs including: Skin disease (including deep and superficial pyodermas); soft tissue infections (abscesses and anal sacculitis); dental infections (eg gingivitis); urinary tract infections; respiratory disease (involving upper and lower respiratory tract); enteritis.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 08:03:45 AM »
I have only given him the AB's this morning - they actually look a lot like synulox, but if they are more expensive, I am not at all happy with the rescue's vet. Am going to send you a pm.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 22:37:14 PM »
Yes the same as metacam desley, as you prob know many drugs are used before proper licensing comes into being.  However i would be very cautious on an older very skinny cat esp if you dont know its renal/hepatic status and prob not at all if you knew there was impairment.

The dosage for rim injection is 4mg/kg (I think that is in 24 hours) so if you are giving 10mg every 2nd day that is a very low dose with good time spacing inbetween.

Ceporex is a very very good antibiotic, probably superior to synulox (certainly more expensive) and whilst it may not be one that i'd automatically think of for mouth i am sure it was a broad spectrum one so will have good effect i'd imagine.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 22:15:50 PM »
So a bit like Metacam used to be, where it was used even though it wasn't officially licensed? Vet did say about using AB's and painkillers, I dont think i have ever been given Rimadyl by my own vet though, they must use MEtacam.

Dosage is 1/2 a 20mg tab every other day - bear in mind this is a thin, old cat, dont know his weight, but he doesnt have a lot of flesh on his bones.  ]

A/Bs are Ceporex, 50mg, one twice a day. NEver heard of these.

As I said, I am going to put a call into my vet tomorrow, I am sure it is the same dosage I Was given with Tiger (same looking tabs) and she told me it was too much and not to use them, and Tiger might have been heavier then. Think there was a reason why she had seen my vet days after seeing the rescues vet.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 22:13:50 PM »
maddiesmum rimadyl injection is wonderful and extremely useful in cats ,  i remember when we couldnt use these in cats and its far better now that we have actual legal dosages for them.

however cats are more sensitive than dogs and have a lower dosage, also because of the way cats livers work (not as good as dogs for dealing with drugs) the drug probably lasts longer in the system than as i say for dogs.

In the case of dragan who is older and with older cats kidney and hepatic impairment is more common that not your vet is right to be aware of the dangers but at the same time recognise its uses  ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 22:10:38 PM »
Yes des its not licensed for cats but thats not to say it isnt being widely used at a lower dosage level.

Rimadyl is an equivelent of metacam so it is a non steriodal antinflammatory drug (painkiller)  The active ingredient is "carprofen"

what dose have you been advised to use desley and how often ?

what antibiotics is it, antirobe are the normals mouth ones but there are plenty others that would work aswell.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 22:06:24 PM »
Dragan has had a couple of shots of Rimadyl but the vet is very cautios about how often he has it.  Am not sure why

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 22:05:07 PM »
Yeah, they are tablet form - half a tab every other day. What is Rimadyl by the way, and why has he been given it for a dodgy tooth and gums? They gave him some anti-b's that I ahve never heard of too. Also, excuse me for being tired, but does contra indicted mean it isnt' a good thing to use them??
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 22:00:35 PM »
Desley what form have you got - tablets ?

i am looking up the noah compendium for you now.

It says the tablets are contra indicated for use in the cat (personally prob just coz it hasnt got its license yet but i'll copy and paste for you)

"The elimination time of NSAIDs, including carprofen, in the cat is longer than in the dog and the therapeutic index is narrower. In the absence of specific data the use of Rimadyl Palatable Tablets in the cat is contra-indicated."

The injection is lincensed for cat use but has the normal warnings for any nsaids --

"Do not use in animals suffering from cardiac, hepatic or renal disease, where there is a possibility of gastro-intestinal ulceration or bleeding, or hypersensitivity to the product. As with other NSAIDs there is a risk of rare renal or idiosyncratic hepatic adverse events."

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Rimadyl
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 21:45:08 PM »
Does anyone have time to do a google search for me? I am sure I have read about issues with Rimadyl in cats, the rescues vet have given it to me again for Rolo, and I dont want to give it to him until I am sure it is safe, but am struggling to keep my eyes open!! I am going to put a call into my vets tomorrow, I know she told me not to continue it with Tiger last year, but can't remember why. Thanks!!
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat