Author Topic: Buster collar nightmare :(  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Buster collar nightmare :(
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 22:50:43 PM »
I always give my cats at least an hours time out from the collar, strictly supervised of course, and it also gives you a chance to clean it - although one of the females we had in at the rescue had to have a collar (we dont normally bother), and the rescue lady took it off her to feed her, turned round to clean it, and by the time she had done and turned back (literally  mins) the cat had got the stitches out - she had staples then!!
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 17:17:23 PM »
Me too - don't know what I'd ahve done without all the help and advice - sometimes it helps just knowing that other people have been through the same thing, and that more often than not, things work out.
Now I just have my job cut out trying to keep the damn buster collar clean! Oh, the joys of catfood in gravy ...:evillaugh:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 08:21:27 AM »
Glad that things worked out well in the end.
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 20:51:41 PM »
What a great picture  ;D

I am so pleased she has calmed down and another classic case of a vet who does not think about what they do.

Routine it maybe but there are better ways and they dont have to look afte the cats after!

Well my point exactly - still, things have worked out ok so far - I'll just be sure to be very specific next time. Though now she's neutered etc there hopefully won't be a next time!

awww what a sweet pic!  bless.

Glad tohear that she's doing better now.  Rescue Remedy is great innit?? ;)  fabulous stuff!

It certailnly is - don't know what I'd do without it now! I'm a convert :evillaugh:

:thanks: so much everyone! :shy:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 19:41:41 PM »
awww what a sweet pic!  bless.

Glad tohear that she's doing better now.  Rescue Remedy is great innit?? ;)  fabulous stuff!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 19:39:27 PM »
What a great picture  ;D

I am so pleased she has calmed down and another classic case of a vet who does not think about what they do.

Routine it maybe but there are better ways and they dont have to look afte the cats after!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 18:52:24 PM »
YAY! She has finally calmed down, and all is well :Luv: The vets were not particularly helpful >:( just said that the external stitches were "perfectly routine" and that now they were in, there was "no point in interfearing with the sutures unless something went wrong" (!!!!!! :shocked:!!!!!!!)
However, that aside, she has got used to her buster collar (though still unimpressed), and is managing fine ;D She has been sleeping most of today, and has been allowed to potter around (supervised) with Riley, who has been (contrary to previous behaviour) a real gentleman, and very sweet to her. They have NEVER cuddled together (Riley wouldn't have it) until today!
A huge big thank you to all of you - all your support and advice was a godsend :Luv: (I would also add that I took some advice given on another, unrelated thread, and think that rescue remedy in steamed fish helped her calm down a lot! ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 11:55:51 AM »
When i got my bridge babe kitty from a rescue she had just been spayed and she had huge bits of the stitches hanging of and she kept chewing on them so i took her to my vets and they cut them down a bit then kitty left them alone.

Hope your little girl is ok now  :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 10:34:21 AM »
hope you managed to get some rest last night and that Dragon didn't do too much damage!!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 09:58:17 AM »
Hope you got throught the night okay, how is the little one today??

I have said this before and I will say it again WHY oh WHY dont vets do the internal stitches and glue all the time ? it it so much less stressful for the poor cat, no buster collar and the wound is tiny. 

Hope your little one makes a speedy recovery xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 21:37:47 PM »
 :thanks: guys....will take on board all suggestions, and keep my fingers crossed  :tired: off to bed now, to start my vigil :) I'll let you know how things go tomorrow. Thanks again, you guys are fab  :hug: :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 21:35:39 PM »
hindsight is a wonderful thing....

if it makes you feel better....  I sometimes forget to say to the vets myself... and still have the odd 'rascal' to deal with!!! lol

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 21:33:01 PM »
Hi hope everything is going ok for you now

I just wondered whether many Vets use these collars because my cat did not have one on after she was spayed

:luck:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 21:30:28 PM »
She's confined to the bedroom (with food, water, heater & litter tray), away from the rest of the flat, and our other furbaby, who plays a bit rough. *sigh* I just wish I'd asked for internal stiches & wound glue beforehand, but that's hindsight for you.... :-[

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 21:27:15 PM »
Personally speaking I would make sure that she is in 1 room of the house if possible... where there are less things for her to hurt herself on.. if that's possible.??  at least it cuts down the areas of the house for her to charge round!?

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 21:23:43 PM »
 :thanks: guys - I know I'm getting way too worked up, and I really appreciate all the advice and support :hug:
I'm definately going to be having words with them first thing tomorrow - from what I can see there is no need to use external stitches when so many other options are available, especially considering where the wound is. >:(  I'm so annoyed - I didn't expect everything to be perfect, I know post-op with girls can be difficult, but this is ridiculous. I just wish I'd realised sooner - the vet is closed, I'm working from 9 till 1 tomorrow (and they don't open till 9), and I'm facing not sleeping tonight because I'm convinced I'll wake up to blood everywhere & no stiches, or a trapped jaw and her throwing herself all over the room.
Any ideas to get her safely through tomorrow morning while I'm away?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 21:21:29 PM »
If she does get them all out and opens up the wound by the morning then pop her along to your vet and ask about stapling. At least they are harder to get out and don't dangle!!

Your vet may suggest a larger dressing on it...1) to protect the wound and 2) to give her something else to tug at rather than the wound.  Gives the wound a bit of time to heal!?

Personally speaking.... I think it can be a battle of wills when it comes to spay wounds.  But don't panick.. if she gets them out... you can pop her back along to get it seen to. :ok:

If she is really aggravating it and gets it bleeding  then I'd call your vet for advice sooner.  :-:

Let us know how you get on!   :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 21:13:36 PM »
Maybe a trip back to the vets is in order or at least a serious chat wiyth him tomorrow, cos I agree id there is a long piece of thread she will [lay with it. Maybe they will say it can be cut back and that will stop her.

They should be able to give you some advise.......................I would have expected!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 21:10:28 PM »
Yikes! This is what scares me - she only had the op this morning! :( I'm assuming she's had a post-op antibiotic, but it's not on the itemised bill (!!!!) I'm sorry to be so panicky, but I'm just so worried - it seems like everything is shaping up for a worst-case scenario - external stitches with a long tie-off, in a very accessible place (her side), and a buster collar that is frankly more a danger than a help! :shocked: I know I can't hover over her the whole time, but I just wish there was something I could do to get her through the first few days, at least :(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 21:03:59 PM »
yes, when shadow developed a problem with a back leg he had a collar on, but worked out that if he propped it on his hip, he could then navigate past it so he could bite the offending part of his leg - ended up at the vet's for a week ...

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 21:01:54 PM »
aaahhhh this little gem!   I can empathise as we have this problem ourselves fairly regularly!!!    :-:

Some cats are just SOOOO persistant that it really doesn't matter what you do .. they will get there stitches out!  The worst time for them to do it is during the first 3/4 days as they don't give the wound time to even start to heal.  We usually go with the collars as a first step... smallest we can get to fit.  But even then if they are really determined they will still get them out.   :tired:

We had a cat a few months back who couldn't get to the wound with the collar on so all she did was drag it along the wire of the pen to get the stitches out instead!!!  we tried super glue (vet stuff) and all sorts but nothing worked.  We even stapled the wound.  And she STILL!!!!  managed to yank them out by ripping them off the cage!   >:(

(not really making you feel better am I???  mm)  :-: :innocent:

Basically... if she is adamant she is going to do it she will.  It may mean she's not left with the tidiest of scars but then its her own fault.  I'm assuming she has been covered with apost op antibiotic?  so if you can get through the first couple of days you are getting there.  If the stitches option doesn't work... try going for the staples.  ;)

On a point for future... where possible ask for internal stitches... :wow: makes life so much damned easier!!!   ;D ;D

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 20:58:55 PM »
Unfortunately, the vet insisted this was the right size of collar - the only other thing they could suggest (other than making it tighter) was to, and I quote, "Tie it round her neck using wool / strip of fabric" (?!)  :(
I really wish they hadn't used exposed stitches - there's also quite a long "tie-off", about 1cm each side of the knot, and it obviously annoys her. I'm really worried she'll tug at it - she's already messed with them so that the wound looks irritated and has oozed very slightly. :shocked:
I just don't know what is best - I seriously considering staying up all night, but I'm supposed to be at work at 9, and my boyf is away at sea this week  :(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 20:49:30 PM »
Lexy would not wear hers through both leg surgeries, even the half moon collar made me feel awful because she could still get to the plasters but just refused to give up.

In the end she licked the plasters off.

I am not sure of what to do in the case of exposed stitches, Lexy's were internal with a couple on the outside for good measure  :-: I don't know, didn't ask. But all she did was lick them...

Maybe Lynn may know if she reads this

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 20:47:10 PM »
I have never used one of these but many others have and may be able to advise..............I dont know if you can sorta pad them but that maybe dangerous. Maybe she has been given the wrong size and try asking your vet what to do.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Buster collar nightmare :(
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 20:32:14 PM »
AAaargh! Skye got back from her spay today, and has got her jaw caught under her buster collar 5 TIMES >:( >:( The vet's suggestion was to make it tighter, but the next size down is so tight it would throttle her. We tried putting a plaster over the wound, but she had it off in seconds, and she keeps getting at her stitches. HELP! :-[ what do I do? I can't take the week off work - I've already halved my shifts so I'm not away for more than 4 hours at a time, but I'm terrified she'll get herself caught again while I'm out :'(

Link to CatChat