Author Topic: How can this cruelty be classed as ART !!! - Warning: Cruelty  (Read 19731 times)

Offline claws n purrs

• Adult Cat
  • Ronnie, Freya, Olly and Mickey!
Re: How can this cruelty be classed as ART !!! - Warning: Cruelty
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2008, 20:37:36 PM »
I was incredulous was I heard about this last year but to know he is being allowed to do such a thing again is just unbelievable.   :censored:  >:(

His justification for this so-called 'art exhibit' (read emaciated, dying dog) makes no sense to anyone with an ounce of compassion. Using a sentient being as an exhibit in an art gallery, moreover, a dying animal, is just wrong in every conceivable way. And what of the people who go to this exhibition? Could you idly stand by and watch this animal die in front of your eyes just  to allow the 'artist' make a twisted, social statement?  >:(  >:(

How about the artist tethers himself to the gallery wall and slowly wastes away in front of a contemplative audience until he dies horribly and painfully from starvation. But then he wouldn't want to suffer for his art would he, better to leave the suffering to one that has no voice.  >:(  :censored:

Let's do all we can to stop this  :censored: from commiting this atrocity again. There is enough suffering in this world without  :censored: like this adding to it.

Dee
Life is life -  there is no difference between a cat or a man.  The idea of difference is a human conception for man's own advantage.  ~Sri Aurobindo

"I purr, therefore I am."

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2008, 09:06:27 AM »
"The Humanist Institute for co-operation with developing countries"?  >:(

What the  :censored: is humanist about that?  :censored: >:(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2008, 00:03:22 AM »
This little  :censored: is at it again  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Please stop another dog being deliberately starved in the name of "art" - voice your protest to the organisation mentioned below
Do you remember the man who staged an art installation last year in Central America by starving a stray dog to death? He has been asked to do it again this year.
There is a petition to sign, but in view of what I found on the site http://www.animalsclubfreedom.blog.com/2304971  it would be better perhaps to do the following:

UPDATE ON SO-CALLED ARTIST ( & ANIMAL ABUSER - Guillermo "Habacuc" Vargas )

BAD NEWS FOLKS: PETITION HAS APPARENTLY FAILED TO BAN Guillermo "Habacuc" Vargas from the Bienarte 2008 art show, with VARGAS representing his country of Costa Rica even though he is an animal abuser!

A new comment on the post “Artistic License”:
Blogsite : Gatica Gringa from Madrid, Spain

Unfortunately the academy that hosts Bienarte 2008 has posted a disclaimer saying that the petition will not affect their consideration of Guillermo Vargas Habacuc.

So best is to appeal to those that help fund the event.

Have your readers contact the dutch organization that funds the Bienarte 2008 event:
HIVOS (Humanistisch Instituut voor Ontwikkelingssamenwerking)
at info@hivos.nl

Tell them to stop supporting events that showcase artists that kill/hurt animals for art’s sake.

Best wishes,
Marian Hussenbux.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2007, 15:10:33 PM »
Sadly CC there are are so many street dogs that have no owners, he could easily just take one  :(

ccmacey

« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2007, 13:25:29 PM »
Re my post a bit further down- I agree I think it's absolutely horrendous and has to be stopped I hope this petition does some good.

I would love to know where he got this dog from, and did they know his intentions.

Does this happen all of the time.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2007, 12:32:16 PM »
yes marm!! :rofl:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »
Please can we keep this thread on topic?  If anyone wishes to start a new thread re vegetarianism elsewhere that's fine, but can we make sure this one doesn't meander too far off topic, and keep it about the petition please.

Thanks  :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:21 AM »
chill Jasmine - no-one is attacking you, nor is anyone feeling attacked, we are just having a philosophical discussion on the subject you raised is all :)

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
modiifed because I realise post somehow on wrong thread.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 11:54:17 AM by Teresa Pawcats »

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »
Yvonne, I just want to make clear to yourself and any other meat-eaters on the forum, I am not attacking you (the majority of my friends and family are meat-eaters.)  :hug:
This is just my personal view and I accept there are many others on the subject.
The point of my thread really is we are not all black and white, there are many grey areas and because some people wish to ignore some aspects of animal cruelty, they shouldn't be castigated because others don't.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2007, 11:28:26 AM »
I am a meat eater and have no difficulty with this. However, I do make sure that my meat comes from a source where i can be sure the animals have not been subjected to some of the many horrors that are involved in the commercial production of meat. I am fortunate that I can afford to make this choice - many can't. However, I do get extremely irritated with people who eat meat but react with horror and dismay at the thought of seeing the animal in question being slaughtered, and or engaging in the active slaughter of an animal themselves. I grew up on a farm so have had to do that. The passage from life to death of an animal is a powerful experience if you are the agent of that death. If you are unwilling to be responsible for it, then you probably should not eat meat... Just my opinion.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:50 AM »
I did not realise that being a meat eater qualified as animal cruelty - I wonder how others feel about this??
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2007, 11:24:20 AM »
I'm not BC, but I just want to give some food for thought to people who think they are. :sneaky:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2007, 11:16:43 AM »
It's a little difficult to be entirely self-righteous about meat eating when we keep, as pets, carnivores. The source of our pet's meat is probably not something you would want to enquire too closely into.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2007, 11:06:22 AM »
I just wonder how many people who have signed this petition will be perpetuating animal cruelty by sitting down to enjoy their roast Sunday lunch today?

I might bury my head sometimes, but I get a feeling some people are face down right up to their waist.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2007, 21:03:13 PM »
Well said. 

I just wish there was more we could do other than signing our name and giving money where we can  :(

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2007, 19:06:58 PM »
Well doesn't this thread say it all? I'm totally with DiddyDawn's view on this. The reason this was posted is quite clear; it was also posted by somebody who cares deeply.

For christ sake nobody likes to see animal cruelty and especially me. However, I refuse to bury my head in the sand and ignore it. For those seriously interested in animal welfare, rather than flirting with it for effect or to make penfriends, etc, it helps to re-double determination and fight.

The RSPCA have far worse than this in their event advertising boards. It turns my stomach but I would defend them on this it so that the anger is turned to practical use in being determined to help other animals where possible. To deny it is to be part of the problem in my book. Nobody said it was easy. Besides the scroll by option is always available.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2007, 19:02:44 PM »
I suppose what the artist is trying to say is how come the uproar about one dog when there are thousands of people starving in the world. Well thats what I make of it anyway.  :shy:

And also I suppose the difference between animals and humans is that humans have a voice, animals have to rely on us.  What this guy did was disgusting, this poor animal could have been helped and maybe saved or at least put out of it's misery.  To watch an animal suffer and do nothing about is just sick beyond belief  :censored:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2007, 17:03:02 PM »
Signed in my name and my partners - I asked permission first!

CC: It possibly is the message the artist is trying to get across. Difference is, sometimes people can't do much about a situation whereas the one he put the dog in was an act of cruelty done on purpose.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 17:04:58 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

ccmacey

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2007, 23:24:19 PM »
I suppose what the artist is trying to say is how come the uproar about one dog when there are thousands of people starving in the world. Well thats what I make of it anyway.  :shy:

I think it's disgusting and has to stop!

Is this done on a regular basis?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2007, 13:46:18 PM »
Cheers Lynn.

Shame this thread has caused so many problems !

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2007, 11:59:39 AM »
308460 signatures now !

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
!
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2007, 11:56:26 AM »
Thanks for posting this guys, I have tears - but its those tears that create the fight within me to want to help put a stop to it. 

Off to sign now  :hug:

I don't know about the rest of the country but in scotland we have television ads by the sspca which show things no worse that that (if no worse is the proper thing to say as it is bad by any standard)  There are no warning triangles before in comes on though - any time of day inbetween normal programs on normal channels.  My kids see them and i am glad, I want my son (and daughter when she understands) to grow up with a fire in his belly and sheer venom against the monsters that carry out these acts of hell !

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Dog allowed to starve in the name of ART !!! - Warning: Cruelty
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2007, 21:07:41 PM »
Folks, I will, unless there is a substantive objection, rename this as "How can this cruelty be classed as art", as DiddyDawn did before.  I believe her judgement was right, in that it acts both as a call to action and a warning.  No-one is censored thereby and everyone is made aware.

I sincerely believe that our (understandable) disagreements are distracting good people of good will, all of whom are on the same side when it comes to animal welfare.

I hope for your support in my interpretation of this forums rules...

May I add that I myself have learnt from several previous incidents and hope to be able to get the balance right for ALL members.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2007, 21:02:08 PM »
The petition has  278910  sigs - Brilliant

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2007, 20:26:57 PM »
yep damned if you do, damned if you don't
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2007, 20:26:01 PM »
All I'm asking is for the 'starving to death' part of the title to be removed, as Tan did originally.

WHY ?

You have read it now, You know what it is about !
Why do you want the title changed ?

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2007, 20:24:40 PM »
Jasmine i did what i felt was best !

Lets face it I couldnt win could i ?

If i HAD NOT put that the thread was about a dog starving to death I would have got slated when the thread was opened because there hadnt been a warning !
You then would have said "oh i wish i had known it was about a dog starving to death, You could have warned me"

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2007, 20:23:53 PM »
I will not edit this further, there is no need to. I am moving on from this, I suggest others do too. We cannot keep everyone happy all the time.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2007, 20:21:58 PM »
All I'm asking is for the 'starving to death' part of the title to be removed, as Tan did originally.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2007, 20:20:44 PM »
RR, some days I will stick my head in the sand if I like thank you very much, it's a great coping mechanism, if I took on board all the horrific cruelty in this world every day, I'm sure I would end up slitting my wrists.

Not when you sticking your head in the sand makes all of us stick our head in the sand
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2007, 20:18:22 PM »
The title was changed  back as you can see from Tan's post. It was in keeping with the guideline (and it is a guideline).  As also stated in the guideline, should a member, based on the title, not wish to read the post they have that choice. The original title was clear enough.

This topic (moderating) has been covered in other threads. We should move on form this to the actual topic of this thread.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2007, 20:14:43 PM »
Why has the title been changed back again?

Michelle, it was your title that I found too graphic (I didn't need to open the post and read more).  I only asked for the Mods to adhere to Tan's instructions on the posting of cruelty posts.

RR, some days I will stick my head in the sand if I like thank you very much, it's a great coping mechanism, if I took on board all the horrific cruelty in this world every day, I'm sure I would end up slitting my wrists.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2007, 20:11:14 PM »
City and Country, Helen

Thanks Ruth... Signed

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2007, 20:09:24 PM »
City and Country, Helen

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2007, 20:07:43 PM »
Tried to sign it but two of the 'required' fields are in another language so don't know what to put!  Anyone know what they mean?

Ciudad / Localidad: (required)   
País: (required)

Its hard for tan & management to please everyone but this should not MUST not go ignored......& it wont  go away  by sticking  heads in sand

Well said RR

MBll

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2007, 19:11:26 PM »

If this is going to happen when folks want to post on this issue it will only put them off. 

The warning sign on the subject heading is clear enough to everyone what the post/thread is about so if they wont to bury their heads & make believe that no level of cruelty anywhere exists then they  do not open the post/thread & ignore.

Yes   unnecessary cruelty  of any kind is upsetting & distressing & MUST be made aware of to the public of all ages...that includes kids most of all....and by removing a photo or a link that includes photos etc  or  sticking heads in sand does not make it go away.  The public needs to see these photos as prove of the level of barbaric cuerlty that is going on day in & day out & yes if it shocks them  more the better...that way they might get involved in stoping it.   

Animal cruelty moves on to kids & others...well know fact.      Personaly i would have this on billbords etc

Its hard for tan & management to please everyone but this should not MUST not go ignored......& it wont  go away  by sticking  heads in sand

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2007, 18:48:21 PM »
I've updated it with your original and the note of cruelty. I'm sorry you felt the need to change it to start. It was not necessary  :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: FORGET IT !
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2007, 18:46:08 PM »
Thanks Michelle.  May I edit the title for you hun?

Do what you want hun...........past caring ! 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: FORGET IT !
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2007, 18:45:06 PM »
Thanks Michelle.  May I edit the title for you hun?

Link to CatChat