Author Topic: Urghhhh Fleas!!  (Read 2345 times)

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
Re: Urghhhh Fleas!!
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 15:03:57 PM »
Thanks hon  ;D

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 14:49:06 PM »
I used Bob Martin too..bl00dy rubbish !

That was when I 1st got Leo.. on 22nd Sep.. will I be ok to use Frontline now ?

If the last time you used it was in Sept then i would now start with frontline xxx

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 14:30:23 PM »
I used Bob Martin too..bl00dy rubbish !

That was when I 1st got Leo.. on 22nd Sep.. will I be ok to use Frontline now ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 14:03:45 PM »
I would also take the flea collar off now as you have used  a spot on you are double dosing the neck area and that is dangerous.  In a months time I suggest you get spot on from the vets or other places suggested.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 12:06:29 PM »
P.S
Dont forget to worm Annie too xxx  (again with something from your vet)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 12:05:49 PM »
Glad the others have been able to give you the advice.

As Mark says, dont feel guilty, the shops sell these things so it easy to believe they work !!
Flea collars are rubbish, they only get the fleas away from the neck and as for Bob Martin  :censored:

Frontline you can now buy from other places as well as your vet. It is cheapest online but you can even buy it in some Chemists now !

I would deff pop along to your vets for a household spray, the fact that you are seen a flea on Annie means there are prob a few in the house now (sorry).
Start off with treating the house and then keep up todate with the frontline and you shouldnt see any fleas again.
I have 11 cats and i never see any fleas because i am up todate with the treatments.

Good Luck xxxx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 09:51:52 AM »
:thanks:

Gosh thank you for all your advise... I used Spot On (for some reason I heard it was good!) a few days ago and then put a new collar on her last night.  I won't use the spray on her now, I think you're right too much stuff is not going to be good for her.  If she still has fleas in a few days I will go to the vets for advise.

Thanks for warning me, I'm so gald I joined this forum 

Why on earth do shops stock this stuff if it's not good for the cat - it makes me so angry!  I only want whats best for Annie!

Don't feel bad. A lot of us have used it in the past without realising. My vet told me about it early on so I stopped using it. If your vet gives you Stronghold, this kills fleas, roundworm and earmites. They will give Annie a separate tablet for tapeworm. I struggle to give pills so get the vet to do it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 10:09:01 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:31:21 AM »
This forum is great for info like this, I've certainly learned so much since I've been a member.

Don't forget, you'll also need to treat your house for fleas and flea eggs too.  You can get various sprays from the vets which will stop any residual eggs hatching for 12 months.  I used Indorex last year, but I think there's another one called Acclaim which is just as good.  You need to spray each room, paying particular attention to edges of carpets, nooks and crannies, soft furnishings etc.

Hope this helps  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sparkle

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:23:01 AM »
:thanks:

Gosh thank you for all your advise... I used Spot On (for some reason I heard it was good!) a few days ago and then put a new collar on her last night.  I won't use the spray on her now, I think you're right too much stuff is not going to be good for her.  If she still has fleas in a few days I will go to the vets for advise.

Thanks for warning me, I'm so gald I joined this forum 

Why on earth do shops stock this stuff if it's not good for the cat - it makes me so angry!  I only want whats best for Annie!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 08:11:01 AM »
I agree with the others that only treatments that are effective are only available from Vets, on-line pharmacies and some chemists.

I would also say that although we know that all the other  treatments mentioned  are as much use as a chocolate teapot, they must NOT be used in conjunction with each other. If you have just used Bob Martin spot on, you cannot now apply anything else for a while. I would have a word with your vet. Equally you must not use a flea collar (which which will not  be very effective) and a spot on. If you do you could well put your cats life in danger.

Also please remember if your cat has fleas it will most certainly have tapeworm, again the only effective treatment is available from your vet or on-line pharmacy.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 07:57:19 AM »
I agree with Gill, and do hope you see this before you use anything else. Anything you buy from a petshop isn't strong enough to do the job, and you can get Frontline cheaper through Vet UK than from your vets, and there are a few rescues on here who have links and then get commission from your order.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:37:06 AM »
Do not use that spot on from Bob Martin, a flea collar or spray.

The spot on is bad enough and cats have died from it but to use all 3 one after another is not good.

You can buy Frontline over the counter now or online without a prescription but I dont know how soon you can use it after what you have already used........take advise from a vet unless someone on here can give you some.

Other flea treatments are from the vet Stronghold and Advantage and any of these or Frontline will get rid of the fleas straightway.

If you are going to use any collar , only use a quick relaease safety one, not one with a piece of elastic cos cats can get their legs caught in them and be terribley injured.

I hope you see this before you use anything alse on her and I know its very confusing if you are new to cats cos all these things you see tell you they are safe and I know you are only trying to do the best for your cat.

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 22:39:24 PM »
Frontline works very well, Lots of people on here have advised me not to use anything bought from a shop as it is not always that safe or affective.

Sorry i cant be more helpfull  :hug:

Offline Sparkle

• Adult Cat
Urghhhh Fleas!!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 22:30:38 PM »
Urgh.. actually spotted one on Annie this evening, poor girl.. :( I had my suspicions a few days ago when I saw her leap up for no reason and then lick herself a lot like something was irritating her!  Annie is my first cat (of my own I grew up with cats), so I'm fairly new to spotting these things..

Well anyway, I tried that Bob Martin Spot On stuff by I don't think it worked, so have gone out and bought some flea spray and a new collar... Am not gonna spray her tonight as I wanna do it outside, and my neighbours are setting off fireworks. I've locked the catflap so Annie can't get out (she looks so scared  :scared: with all the banging being so close), so will have to do it tomorrow.

If the spary doesn't work, can anyone suggest anything that does work?

Link to CatChat