Author Topic: Grinding Teeth !!!  (Read 2431 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Grinding Teeth !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 09:23:51 AM »
I can definitely recommend Plaque Off in wet food once a day, I'm sure its made a difference to Max's teeth  ;D

I also think the RC dental biscuits are helping too, they're really big so can't just be swallowed whole, so even if they don't help that much with the plaque side of things, I still reckon the crunching helps keep their teeth strong and healthy.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 08:39:55 AM »
Thank's Deslley, I'll look into those  ;)
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:46:16 AM »
Dentacare biscuits aren't really that good, you are best off using things like Plaque Off and Logic Gel.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 17:33:11 PM »
ffs My Trip offshore has been canceled AGAIN !!!  >:( >:( :censored: :censored: :censored: AAAaarrrrrgggghhhhhh !!!!!!

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 16:07:02 PM »
He used to like them :wow:, but wont look at them now :sick: dont know if they changed the recipe or what ??
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 16:07:32 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 15:29:29 PM »
One of my cat is not keen in biscuits, but i got her whiskas treat its called dentacare ,and she takes few every day, its suppose to be good for their teeth! ;)  He might like that. ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 14:50:47 PM »
ok Thank's for that I will mention it to them if He has to get dental work done   ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 14:29:53 PM »
Thats one of hte ones used for older cats - my vets use it as standard on all fortunately.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »
Have been racking my brains and the anaesthetic was called rapinovet, but obviously I'm not sure if it's the appropriate choice for renal patients.  Hopefully your vet will know though!!  Hope things go well for your little'un.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 12:14:34 PM by fluffybunny »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 18:08:08 PM »
While vets are understandably unwilling to put older cats through anaesthetic, I think it is necessary at times due to the implications otherwise, but I would recommend pre-anaesthetic bloods, a drip before and during and check what anaesthetic they use. my vet used a drip on PEbbles last year despite her only being 11 cos while her bloods were fine, we were convinced there was something going on with her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 17:27:09 PM »
Oh thank you  ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 17:07:18 PM »
Hi Fluffybunny, thank's for the reply & sorry to hear about Sooty :RIP: 19.3 years old  :wow:
Misty is 16 & a half justnow, and I have just bought a heap of Renal food over £120 & the Little  :censored: has started
to curl His nose up at it  :doh:
it is a worry if they have to go under anesthetic, You hear a lot of sad story's, and I dont like signing the acceptance form :(
But when I take Misty back to the Vet I will get them to have a closer look at his teeth and go with whatever they decide :scared:

Safer anesthetic, I will enquire about that too

thank's again for your input Fluffy n Gill
Stuart....

P.S. Gill, I love the Piccy of Misa on the Calender  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 17:13:22 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 16:59:53 PM »
Kockas had to have an op to remove a burst cyst that wouldnt heal and she was 17/18 with other problems and she was fine  ;D

I didnt know then that really older cats should be put on a drip before and after, so dont know whether she was but as said beloww their is a more safe anasthetic that can be used.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 13:34:11 PM »
Hello! Sorry if lots of other people know this, but how old is Misty?  My old chap Sooty had a major dental including 8 extractions at the age of 18.5 and he recovered absolutely fine.   He was given pre-op bloods (slightly elevated liver levels, otherwise ok) and was put on a drip the night before and kept on a drip all day for extra hydration, and they used a more expensive type of anaesthetic but I can't remember what it was called.  In fact he was instantly better after the op, much more cheerful and perky, so I'm sure his teeth must have been bothering him for some time.  Bacteria associated with dental problems can also travel to other sites like the heart so this is also a risk if a problem is left.  Obviously I don't know what Misty's specific problems are but I just wanted to say that although I was absolutely  **** myself at Sooty having an anaesthetic, he was perfectly fine and we had another 10 months with him before he passed away - way longer than he would have had if I hadn't had the op done.

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
Grinding Teeth !!!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:04:33 PM »
When I took Misty to the Vet's for His Blood's to be taken, I also asked the vet to do a general Health check,
eye's, Teeth, Heart etc, etc a kinda Cat M.O.T.  ;D His Heart is Good, otherwise very Healthy, apart from early
stages of CRF :( But she did say He'd a slight build up of Plaque on His Molar's, but that it was not bad enough
to be concerned, and at His age did not feel it necessary to put Misty under general anesthetic to have them
cleaned. there is alway's an amount of Risk involved  :(

My Hamish had alway's bad plaque build up and had, had his teeth done three times, He never showed any
discomfort, Hamish went to the Bridge with All His Teeth, but the vet did think he had a molar that may have
been causing him pain and thought that was the reason He'd stopped eating and drinking :'(

anyhow, 2 year's ago Misty Started Grinding His teeth and pulling the hair out of a sheepskin rug?? I took Him
to the vet, and His teeth were needing cleaned, he ended up with one extraction :( but the grinding stopped
and didn't pull hair from sheepskin rug no more ;D I awoke this morning to that awful sound again, and he
did it for a minute b4 stopping.

I have done a search on tinternet and the most common reason for grinding is problem's in the mouth, Teeth, Gum's etc
there were suggestion's of suppling biscuit's to help remove plaque build up, and although I do know you get Renal biscuit's
Misty wouldn't eat them ( He Hasn't eaten biscuit's for a long time, even though he still has the option, " Fresh bowl of biccy's bside wet food "
but I am Now getting paranoid that the same problem that befell Hamish, may happen to Misty :(

Misty is still eating His Renal food, the first day he finished 2 pouches  :wow: but since then has only eaten about 1 a day ( still giving Him 2
pouches but have to discard stale remain's at night/morning for Fresh :(

I dont know what to do mainly because of the risk involved with older Cat's being put under anesthetic :(
I was supposed to take Misty back to vet's this thursday for a 9am appointment to have more blood taken, and was going to tell them
about the grinding !! but as some of you may know my work had been phoning me all week about going offshore to a job, but then
would phone back to say it's been cancelled >:( But I now know for Definate I am going offshore on monday, so that's Misty's appointment
out the window :( have made another for Tuesday the 20th, But know I will worry about Him while I'm away :(

I was just wondering if any other people on here have had similar experiances and maybe mouth problem's weren't alway's the cause ??
Misty isn't doing it all the time and has only done it this once since 2 years ago, but because of previous experiance, I am really concerned :(

« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 13:10:49 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »

Link to CatChat