Author Topic: wasted 4 fortekor tonight  (Read 3022 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: wasted 4 fortekor tonight
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 15:52:20 PM »
Anything like that, clapton licks off (maybe as he has no teeth?) so exposes the tablet. I really think the only way for him to take them is no detectable smell. I think that is the only reason that I am getting away with the prosciutto. I have never yet seen a "palatable" tablet that actually is. I just wish they were all film-coated.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 10:34:05 AM »
you could try smearing the broken end of the tablet with something nice - butter, marmite, cheese spread?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 08:31:48 AM »
The only problem with broken 5mg tablets is they still have an exposed end which a cat's sensitive nose can smell. Angie is going to send me a few empty capsules so hoping they will do the trick. In the meantime, I will stickwith the prosciutto which seems to be working. If he is being picky due to nausea, then it could be a problem.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 20:50:44 PM »
I was going to say about putting it in an empty capsule and just let him eat it as they are tasteless.
Using half 5mg tabs may be easier.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 16:10:14 PM »
Thanks Gillian,

The silly thing is, I advised my mum to do the same thing with her cat's fish recently for pill giving but it didn't occur to me to do the same with clapton's prosciutto  :Crazy:

I don't like him having much because of the salt and additives so 1/4 slice is plenty - will last a couple of weeks. I bought some today and the pill went down no problem  ;D it was about £1.20 for an 80gram pack - it really works as it sticks together properly. He laso likes the fatty edge  :sick:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 16:08:42 PM »
hi mark,

they are not treats as such but empty drug capsules that you can put meds in. PM me if you want me to send.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 14:30:39 PM »
I think I will just have to resign myself to buying a pack of prosciutto every other day (use within 2 days)

Mark you know you can freeze the proscuitto? - I used to give Suzie her fortekor in the ham, but was wasting it because of the use within 2 days thing. So I bought a big pack and put individual slices into the individual compartments of ice cube trays. Once they were frozen I just emptied them into a freezer bag and just took out one or two as I needed them.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
we used to keep some lamb mince in the freezer and microwave a bit for one of our old cats.
the first nibble was a teaser, the second one squished around the pill and a third dollop in case the second one failed or as a reward if the pill had gone.

I have just bought some empty chicken flavoured capsules and could pop you some in the post to try if you want. I haven't tried them on pepsi, as I bought them for some of her medication (but now when I split her capsule up I use a half capsule plugged with butter to dose her)
but the foster cats managed to rip open the bag they came in and I found a few on the floor.
I don't know that they would be an improvement on the tablet though but if you'd like to pm me your address I'll pop a few in an envelope for you.

Thanks Angie, If you could tell me wher to got them, I will order some to try - I'm sure they can be used as treats for Kylie if Clapton won't eat them  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 11:40:50 AM »
Mark, does he have any wet food he likes especially? Or fish? could you grind the pill into a powder and then mix it into soft food of some description? (I have to admit, my cats aren't bad with tablets yet, so I'm not sure of the best way. Mine just resign theirselves to the fact they ARE having a tablet!)

If he can smell the pills, thats it,  he won't touch the food. The 2.5mg are supposedly palateable but they aren't to him  :evillaugh: - Thats why I could easily hide a 5mg pill in a lump of food and he would eat it.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 10:59:38 AM »
we used to keep some lamb mince in the freezer and microwave a bit for one of our old cats.
the first nibble was a teaser, the second one squished around the pill and a third dollop in case the second one failed or as a reward if the pill had gone.

I have just bought some empty chicken flavoured capsules and could pop you some in the post to try if you want. I haven't tried them on pepsi, as I bought them for some of her medication (but now when I split her capsule up I use a half capsule plugged with butter to dose her)
but the foster cats managed to rip open the bag they came in and I found a few on the floor.
I don't know that they would be an improvement on the tablet though but if you'd like to pm me your address I'll pop a few in an envelope for you.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
Mark, does he have any wet food he likes especially? Or fish? could you grind the pill into a powder and then mix it into soft food of some description? (I have to admit, my cats aren't bad with tablets yet, so I'm not sure of the best way. Mine just resign theirselves to the fact they ARE having a tablet!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 10:39:32 AM »
I don't know what Clapton went through before we got him but he is so scared of people and almost every object. He suddenly has the stregth of 10 cats if you try to administer anything. Once I got him in a gentle lock on my lap to give him stronghold. Because he couldn't move, he cried like a baby. I have never heard anything like it, he must have been so scared  :'(. Now I wait unril he is relaxed with the pipette handy  :)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 09:10:15 AM »
Mark, you will have to pop round to my house every day, I have 2 cats on Fortekor and have no problems. Although sometimes I do get an odd claw on one finger.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:05:24 AM »
If I try cheese or butter, he licks it off and leaves the pill. I think I will just have to resign myself to buying a pack of prosciutto every other day (use within 2 days) as it is sticky and I can make a seal with it - everything else starts disintegrating the pill almost straight away so he can smell it even more. He won't even eat pocket tabs. I just wish the 2.5mg tablets were film coated like the other ones, then there would be no chance of him smelling anything. He sniffs everything really carefully now and is really suspicious. The only other thing is ask my vet if a 5mg pill a day will harm him? - Expensive but less stressful for Clapton and me. (You can see how much thought I have given it  :tired: )

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:28:41 AM »
Have you tried using spread cheese or Philadelphia?  Has worked well in the past with my animals.  Good luck it's a nightmare.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
wasted 4 fortekor tonight
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 00:18:05 AM »
He is getting too suspicious and even manages to lick the chicken roll off the pill. I tried doing it manually but you would have thought I was killing his - he screamed and ran out the catflap  :( - I have given up - I can't keep wasting them. If he won't take them, I'll stop buying them  :(

Link to CatChat