Author Topic: Thoughts in my head.  (Read 989 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Thoughts in my head.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:46:44 AM »
I dont think you are ever going to get an answer CC, your aunt's kitten does sound like it might have had cat flu, it can cause painful limbs, although not sure of the nosebleeds. Ollie's poor health could purely be because he was taken away from his mum so young, it can affect their immune system.
Please spay your cat

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 23:46:11 PM »
I dont blame Ollie for whats happened, he would most certainly be dead without me. I was told his siblings were given away the week after they were born, and this was obvious when I got Ollie he was the last one and only 4 weeks old  :(

Just thought could Ollie's bad start in life caused the problems and his ongoing problems too, I know it's not the little fella's fault.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 23:03:04 PM »
sorry to hear the story, very sad.

i dont know the answer but if ollie blood checks came back clear i dont think it could have been him.

although i suppose that if ollie was around when any of others got hurt he could have been involved in that but one will never know to be honest.

Certainly when cats get bitten by any other cat, this can be serious and I would think more serious for a kitten. Its because cats have a lot of bacteria in their mouths and this means bites often get infected and vet treatment is really needed for any bite quickly, treatment also needed if a cat bites a human.

I think you sound that you are feeling guilty and think that by giving Ollie a home it hurt the other kittens but it maybe something that would have happened without Ollie being there and you shouldnt blame yourself or Ollie.  :hug: :hug:

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 23:00:18 PM »
I suppose what I'm trying to ask is- are these signs of cat flu or something more sinister? I know no one can give me a definate answer.

Antibiotics given to the cats were penicillan.

Its just hard for me to get on with this and understand when 3 years later I'm still trying too.

ccmacey

Thoughts in my head.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 22:53:54 PM »
Let me explain the situation.....

I had two 16 month old kittens (Ted & Renie) they were fine, fit and healthy, they had always been. I took on a kitten, (Ollie) he was covered in fleas and was told from the neighbour that she was offered him the week before but didnt take him because his eyes were all sleepy- like he wasnt cleaning them. I was told he was 9 weeks and he was eating propper cat food.

I had Ollie for a couple of days and took him to the vets because he wasnt eating, only to be told that this little kitten was 4 weeks old and should still be with his mother. I had to ween Ollie, it wasnt easy to get him to eat but we got there.

Ollie was very energetic and wouldnt leave my other two alone, well he came from a mad house so he would of had to defend himself.

Two weeks later I was looking after my aunts kitten for the week. Then things started to go wrong-

On the sunday I noticed Renie had a limp and by the night time it had got worse. I took her to the vets on Monday morning, the vet said it looked like an abscess which could of been caused from a bite (?) She had a couple of jabs and away we went. Renie kept getting worse- wanted to be out of the way, hideing under beds, not eating.

While this was going on my aunts kitten got sick- she couldnt use her limbs and was in pain if I tried to move them, her nose also seemed to be bleeding. Took her to the vets and was told it could of been from a fall while she has been playing with Ollie.

So I had been taking Renie and Meg to the vets every day for the week.

(Head totally up arse by now with worry- 5 months pregnant also)

On the Thursday night Renie had came out from under the bed, she was at the bottom of the stairs wanting out the front door. She was trying to jump onto the tops in the kitchen but couldnt make it.

On the friday night I had noticed her legs and paws were swollen, to an abnormall size, she was freezing cold also. So I decided to take her to the vets in the morning. I really didnt know what was going on, that week was hell.

When I got up Renie had died, the vet said her gums were yellow so it could of been liver failure.

My other cat Ted got very ill the next week and I nearly lost him too, same situation.

Anyone who has read the posts about Ollie knows what he has, could he of been the cause for the sickness? He never got ill when all of the other cats did. He has been tested for the viruses and they came back clear.

Sorry for the ramble just need to get this off my chest.

Link to CatChat