Author Topic: 'Disposable' cats  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: 'Disposable' cats
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 13:45:32 PM »
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: 'Disposable' cats
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 13:16:44 PM »
I think that until we can persuade people to neuter/spay their cats there will always be far too many abandoned/strays. On my site I have 'Why Neuter some of it reads:- Cats  Protection  encourages  all  cat   owners  to  have  their  cat's neutered/spayed. Quite simply there are far too many cats and just not enough caring homes.  It's all very well saying Oh! I always get good  homes  for my  cats  kittens,  if that  is   the  case why are we always  so full and have a huge list  of cats waiting to come in  and where  are  all  the  tens  of  thousands  of  cats/kittens  that   Cats Protection   take in   each   year  coming   from?    Why are tens of thousands  more  put  to sleep  each  year? We appreciate that some come in because of the owners ill health or a death in the family but the majority are  simply not  now wanted and were once the kittens that friends and relations swore to love and care for forever, of course we are just one rescue, there are possibly as many  again  if   not  more being helped by other rescues. Please  don’t  be led into thinking that if everyone had their cat neutered/spayed they would  die out, that is just not going to  happen there are far too many  irresponsible  people for that. If there were a few less cats/kittens available would it be such a bad thing? Maybe just  maybe they  would be more valued and as a result of this perhaps we would not keep reading of the abuse  and neglect so many suffer
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
'Disposable' cats
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 11:20:47 AM »
Got the new CP Supporters Mag last night and this article was in it:

According to a recent survey and for the second year running, cats are the most abandoned pet in the UK. Whether they are unwanted presents, the result of unplanned litters or just no longer loved, many cats are simply left out like rubbish.

In Feb of last year, five week old PEbbles was left in a cardboard box at the foot of a tower block for refuse collection workers to take away. Were it not for the intervention of an eagle-eyed passer by, the poor kitten would almost certainly have been thrown into the rubbish crusher or frozen to death.

Happily, Pebbles was taken in by CP and rehomed with a loving family, but not all stories of abandoned cats and kittens end like this. just a few weeks before PEbbles was found, an oil-covered kitten was discovered under a hedge near Wigan on Christmas Eve. The help of a vet was immediately sought but sadly, the kitten was too weak to survive the ordeal.

Under the ANimal Welfare ACt 2006, anyone found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face six months in prison and/or a fine of £20,000. It remains to be seen whether this will deter the thousands of peope who abandon cats every year. It is a common misconception that domesticated cats can fend for themselves if left to their own devices. But being discarded causes considerable distress and suffering and the truth is, without help, many do not survive.

CP will soon be launching a new television campain and direct mail appeal aimed at highlighting the issue of abandonment. Look out for these at the end of November, and help us make 'disposable' cats a thing of the past.

There was also an article about KittenAid 2007, a campaign to raise funds to help cope with the influx of kittens and to spread the message about the importance of neutering. This has raised £260,000 and has also been on the news - I haven't heard anything about it, does anyone else know about it?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat