Author Topic: Do cats make friends with other cats ???  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Do cats make friends with other cats ???
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 13:18:52 PM »
Great post!  ;D

Definitely I think cats make friends :)  My Sabby has a friend in a local neighbour's cat, they go off on jaunts together and spend time just 'chewing the fat' in the sunshine (WHEN there's sunshine!).

All three of mine are good friends with each other, too.  They all groom each other, and sleep in various combinations of twos or three.  I realise this is a rare thing (for three cats to all get on with each other) so consider myself (and them!) very lucky :)  :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 12:29:03 PM »
Esther and Smidgen came from two completely separate sources. They arrived in the house two days apart and are now inseparable. they clean each other and sleep in a tangled heap and are generally very cute with each other except when wrestling. They have been together 3 months, and this has been the pattern since day one.

Offline raincloud

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 12:58:33 PM »
my adult scruffs was 4 when i brought home stinky and she was far more upset about scruffs than he was about her. She was just a wee kitten. scruffs basically just found her very interesting and then would pin her and start cleaning. now they are basically inseparable. when scruffs goes to eat, stinky invariably follows. if scruffs heads off to another room, stinky is right behind.
stinky is a drama queen though...she will coyly start a wrestling match by pretending to be all cuddly with scruffs and then pounce. he always wins though because he is just a better wrestler and then stinky starts to squeak and act like he is beating her up (which he isn't). she is always the one to start trouble.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 20:48:46 PM »
When I was growing up our two babes Sasha and Cinder had mates around the 'hood so to speak but they liked being home.

My sister's Fuddy, back in South Africa, became Top Cat in their complex. Fuddy took on two brothers called Spencer and Winston, two black and white youngsters, who Fuddy mothered. It was so funny.

And the after Fuddy passed to the bridge after they moved to the UK, a ginger and white boy of about 9 months appeared in their garden, and eventually became their cat after lots of searching for his owners/people.  In honour to Fuddy, they called him Spencer (he's our Spenny boy), and he had a little mate from a few doors down and the two of them used to trawl the walls of the complex gardens, Spenny in front, the little one behind him. It was so cute to watch.

Now Spenny (in their new house) has a few mates, but there's a bruiser down the road who Spenny is afraid of, he's a bit of a bully, but Spenny has his mates.

My sisters Pippa, well she scares Pappillon's (another member here) cat Phoebe  :-: and my Lexy prefers the safety of our living room window to watch the ginger tom from across the road  :evillaugh:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 20:43:50 PM »
My last cat Biggles had a friend a few doors away and they were inseperable. One day the house went up for sale and as they did not seem so fond of their cat as me I asked if I could take it on. They said no and I came home in floods of tears. Biggles was so depressed when they moved it was very sad. :'(
Scruffy our visitor was around when we got Archie and at first she was very hissy. This soon changed and she started to try and pin him down to wash :evillaugh: They are now so sweet together and chase each other around, firm friends. ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2007, 20:43:11 PM »
My lot hang out with other cats, they all use Fatty and Scaredys garden and Fatty visits us but only when i have a trap out in her garden  :Crazy:

Then theres Bob and Theo. Lola used to fancy Theo (when he was younger) but they broke up and Lola got together with Bob. So shes never pleased when Theo visits the boys.

Theo only uses the boys for their worldly goods and water bowl  :sneaky: but the boys are too dim to notice.   :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2007, 20:29:26 PM »
What a lovely colour Charlie was  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2007, 19:31:55 PM »
Swampy had some great friends when he was allowed out (briefly). I used to get him in (with great difficulty) at night as he was round Jasmine's. She was another burmese who loved to bash him on the head with her paw while he was doing his bizness in the pretentious neighbour's garden (near her 'sculpture'  :rofl:), but she taught him how to walk across the top of Victorian terraced roofs (eeeeeek for mum). A different neighbour liked a tipple or two and came out and said 'bl**dy hell, I thought I'd overdone the good stuff a bit today and was seeing double up there on the roof'  :evillaugh: lol.
Then there was beloved Fluffy, not the Einstein of cats....but who came around every night after dark and knocked on the window to be let in to riot around the place with Swamp. I wanted to kidnap him they were such good friends and his owners didn't really care about him. He got run over - he used to lie on his back in the road cos the tarmac was warm. I then really wished I'd grabbed him and kept them both indoors in a cat run. Another neighbour had a ginger cat called Barney who was another best friend, until he got shut in a cellar for 6 weeks - he survived but came out with brain damage. Swampy (and all other cats) bullied him after that, much to my shame.
Swamp then got kept in cos he did the cellar trick too but he was found in a week, by the grace of God really. Cellars are terrifyingly dangerous for cats.

Max has always hated all other cats. When a cat so much as walked across the garden fence near his cat run, he'd go into the clinging-to-the-wire-with-hair-on-end cartoon hissyfit cat routine.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 17:28:30 PM »
My young ginger cat Charlie (sadly at the bridge) adored the big black and white male cat, Cheeky from 2 doors down, and the feeling was mutual! They were always together outdoors, and when Cheeky came to visit (most days, as his owners were out at work, and left him outside) they would cuddle up together on the settee, it was lovely to see.

There's a pic of him and Cheeky here: (you have to click on 'in memorium' then click 'cats' & scroll down to 'Charlie') http://infopet.co.uk/  (I havent got the scanned image on my computer at the mo) My Trudie and Sophie are on there too  :Luv:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 17:34:41 PM by Gillian (Ambercat) »

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 14:30:00 PM »
My soppy King Charles Cavalier dog I had as a child once was allowed to sit in on a cats' parliament - that was weird.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 14:18:08 PM »
Cathy, it must go with the name - my best friend has a cat called Biscuit who makes friends with other cats all the time - they have one in particular who they keep finding hiding in various parts of the house!!!  When we first moved to our current house, there were two cats living nextdoor and my two would frequently hold cats' parliaments with them - whole Sunday afternoons would be spent with the four of them sitting in a circle in either our garden or their garden - very funny to watch!

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 14:00:03 PM »

I was also told about something called a cats parliament and thought no thats really sill but then I saw it in action.

Its the place where all the outdoor territories sort of meet and the cats sit round in a circle and watch each other and I saw it happen near my garden in London.

I once saw this but didn't know thats what it was :) Thanks
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 13:57:19 PM »
I suspect this works just like indoors and some cats get on, some are possitively friendly, some tollerate each other and some positively hate each other.

In the end it all comes down to territory and the cat heirachy.

Some cats are equal but some are more equal than others !......stolen from Orwell.

I was also told about something called a cats parliament and thought no thats really silly but then I saw it in action.

Its the place where all the outdoor territories sort of meet and the cats sit round in a circle and watch each other and I saw it happen near my garden in London.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 15:02:05 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 12:44:43 PM »
My cat Bear had a friend called Denise from a few doors down.
Denise used to come round and play with Bear, I would often find Denise in my house cuddled up with him.

Denise was a huge Black and White cat so soppy and loving, Poor Denise met a terrible end though, He was shot point blank in the top of his head and left in a bush - RIP Denis xxxx

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 10:48:37 AM »
Absolutely yes cats do make friends.

I have had cats previously that are friendly and play with neighbours cats.  There is a guinea pig hutch in the garden where many neighbours cats gather because they are curious and are quite happy with each others company.

At the present time I have an elderly cat Spotty who hates next doors cat with a passion, after a couple of years of fighting, vet visits etc. they now can walk past each other giving each other a wide berth without getting into a fight.

Dont suppose this helps a great deal?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:54 AM »
Bob was friends with our old neighbours cat Sidey and they used to pop in and out of each others houses, but there was a big white cat at the bottom of the street that the two of them hated.  Then the neighbour on the other side of me got a kitten Felix and he joined Bob and Sidey when they went walks around the estate it was hilarious, they were like the three old blokes from Last of the Summer Wine  :rofl:

Sidey pined for Bob when we moved last year, yes so I think they can make buddies same as us  :evillaugh:
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 08:29:38 AM »
I suppose cats can like and dislike individuals just like people can.  It may also be a dominance thing.  Maybe Gemma is a dominant cat and accepts Biscuit but finds this other cat a threat?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2007, 08:29:55 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 01:01:16 AM »
sounds like biscuit has the better end of the deal then!!
good question. i always assumed there were just friendly and not so friendly cats (to other cats)  but sounds like gemma's fussy!
i do know that jasper, as i have mentioned before, is in love with the girl next door and would happily follow her around forever i think!!  but she's not quite so keen (though she is softening really)
the girl next door (chloe) also used to have fights with my cat ^suzie^ (they never got close enough to hurt - all show) but when suzie went to the bridge chloe definately missed her.  i think they were just a case of 2 old crones loving to hate though  :Luv:

good question - look forward to more answers!!  ;D

Offline Cathy Biscuits mom

• Adult Cat
  • Biscuit
Do cats make friends with other cats ???
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 00:53:38 AM »
Hi Guys

Here's a question for you all. As you may or maynot know Biscuit has a friend from next door, another female cat called Gemma. I'd say theres maybe 3 months age difference between them but their always friendly to each other, infact when Biscuit went to the cattery for her holidays Gemma's owners actually said they felt Gemma had been missing Biscuit, no one to tear around like a lunatic with. So I reckon their friends, but heres the other side to the coin as they say. There's another cat two doors away (another female) who Biscuit hasn't got a problem with but Gemma seems to hate. Whenever they see each other its all out war. I know its probably a territory thing but even in my garden or the other cats own garden Gemma is determined to "get" this poor cat. Even Gemmas owners are beginning to call her a bully. So can cats make friends or can they actually dislike other cats on sight.

Discuss ...........

:um:

Link to CatChat