Author Topic: Tesco Cat Food  (Read 5732 times)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
Re: Tesco Cat Food
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2007, 23:18:40 PM »

Yeuch ... if anyone needs any accompanying organs, just ask ... Minnie is an expert at producing such items from mice when visitors come round  :rofl:

LOL!!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2007, 20:19:21 PM »
LOL! - and yes, meat on its own wouldnt be a balanced diet, although in theory you could feed chicken at every meal, as long as it was balanced with accompanying organs (heart, liver and kidney) plus bones. That would be balanced, but wouldnt give much in the way of variety!

Yeuch ... if anyone needs any accompanying organs, just ask ... Minnie is an expert at producing such items from mice when visitors come round  :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2007, 15:17:35 PM »
Sorry, that's what I meant, I was just missed that somewhat vital "in large quantities" as I'm not very bright  ;D!

In fact, wouldn't almost any meat be bad if you fed it exclusively?

LOL! - and yes, meat on its own wouldnt be a balanced diet, although in theory you could feed chicken at every meal, as long as it was balanced with accompanying organs (heart, liver and kidney) plus bones. That would be balanced, but wouldnt give much in the way of variety!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2007, 09:56:45 AM »
I personally don’t intentionally give my cats any form of pork Pork as  it not easily digestible., although I appreciate in may be in some makes under the name of meat. Also ham, bacon etc contain a lot of nitrites and salts which can strain the cat's kidneys.

Cats needs proportionally more protein in its diet compared to other mammals - one reason is that certain liver enzymes that break down proteins are always functional (they are turned "on" and "off" in other animals) and so cats use some energy from protein just to fuel this process.  Other mammals use most of their protein for growth and body maintenance. While an adult dog's protein requirement will drop to about one third of its requirements as a growing puppy, the kitten only needs about one-and-a-half times the protein of an adult cat because the adult level is still relatively high.

Unlike an omnivore, whose digestive system consists of a fairly large small intestine and relatively large stomach, the carnivore's system consists of a fairly short, small intestine and relatively small stomach. Thus, a carnivore's optimum diet must be concentrated, highly digestible, and low in residue.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 09:04:27 AM »
Have to say I've never known about pork being bad. I suppose it's the same as liver. That's not good either

Liver is fine, just not in large quantities. Remember, they'd eat a mouse in the wild, liver an' all!

Sorry, that's what I meant, I was just missed that somewhat vital "in large quantities" as I'm not very bright  ;D!

In fact, wouldn't almost any meat be bad if you fed it exclusively?

Mine were going particularly crazy for their little daily ham treat yesterday, I think they've been reading Purrs  :evillaugh:
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 07:35:25 AM »
I used to feed mine the Pork and Game HiLife pouches, and it didn't do them any harm, so I wouldnt' be too bothered by having small amounts of pork in cat food - I would never feed them raw pork though, that is the one i read was bad for them.
Please spay your cat

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 00:54:09 AM »
 the supreme pouches ones ?   mary loves those will eat any of them

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2007, 23:02:21 PM »
Sainsbury's do ham and turkey pouches in their variety pack ... I thought it was unusual when i saw it as I'd never seen ham in cat food before, so I bought it to try, and the cats didn't actually like it!!  Well, Bella did, but she doesn't count as she eats anything ...

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2007, 21:28:56 PM »
Glad that Ham is okay, Cheese would never ever forgive me if I refused her a ham slice the next time I open the packet - she goes crrrrazy for them  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2007, 21:24:37 PM »
I have baught whiskas "oh so meaty" before now and its contained pork pouches.  This is all new to me about pork being bad for cats :shy:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2007, 20:17:13 PM »
One thing to be careful about if feeding ham from the deli (and othe deli meats) is the salt content and the fact that many have added phosphates.  Small quantities as a treat is best.

Liver is fine, like Gillian says, just not in excess.  Same goes for anything fed in addition to a complete cat food really.  If a cat is eating a complete cat food that is correctly balanced, adding in other stuff can result in an unbalanced diet so should only be fed occasionally.

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2007, 20:00:40 PM »
I have two nice pics, I will try to get someone to scan them in when I can pin them down. ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 19:40:08 PM »
Yes would love to see them  ;D

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 19:37:25 PM »
Scruffy and Parki are my permanent visitors. I will see if I can get some photos of them. Parki is in the kitchen at the moment waitng for Archie to leave some biscuits. She is like a hoover. :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 19:13:16 PM »
We have seen Archie but who are the other two?  ;) ;)

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 19:09:32 PM »
Archie, Scruffy and Parki are sighing with relief :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 19:06:22 PM »
The ham will be fine  ;D

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 19:04:47 PM »
 I have just thought does anyone know if ham is bad because Archie , Scruffy and Parki like the occasional piece if I get it for the rest of the household :scared:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 19:01:11 PM »
Have to say I've never known about pork being bad. I suppose it's the same as liver. That's not good either

Why don't they do mouse flavour cat food?

Liver is fine, just not in large quantities. Remember, they'd eat a mouse in the wild, liver an' all! hmmm, mouse flavour cat food?  :no:  just give 'em a mouse LOL!!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 18:03:58 PM »
Mine would only play with mice flavoured food and unless it moved they wouldnt even do that  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 17:40:01 PM »
My vet forbid pork for Clapton with him having CRF. He said Pork molecules are too large to pass through a cats capillaries - I guess its more of a problem with CRF cats?

My vet was the same with Hope. He said the vet-diet was the most important thing to keep her well (along with regular Fortekor). He wasn't happy with her eating quite a few things but in the end we had to to keep the little mite going.

Have to say I've never known about pork being bad. I suppose it's the same as liver. That's not good either but cat food still comes in liver flavour. I'm sure levels would have to be limited by the producers of such food. Or am I being completely ignorant?

Why don't they do mouse flavour cat food?
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 15:20:21 PM »
My vet forbid pork for Clapton with him having CRF. He said Pork molecules are too large to pass through a cats capillaries - I guess its more of a problem with CRF cats?

I know hi-life do a pork version. I did a search and other websites say not to give pork to cats. 

I sometimes give him a tiny piece to take a pill but wouldn't give him more than that.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 15:21:00 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 15:01:52 PM »
Most of the Bozita chunks contain pork, and I feed mine pork (raw) occasionally, but like Suzanne said its a bit fatty, so not a good idea to give large amounts on a regular basis, but I don't understand, why you would be querying the fact that a chicken and ham cat food contains pork? obviously it does.

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 14:43:46 PM »
Any kind of pork is not good for your cat, because it has an enzyme in it that cats cannot digest along with grapes and Human c.h.o.c.o.l.a.t.e, I have spelled it like that because it keeps changing to healthy food, it has been known to kill, my vet gave out leaflets with this info on it last Christmas
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 16:08:43 PM by Parée »
A cat is for life

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 14:11:06 PM »
Thanks Susanne, yes his pork, as is anything that we feed him is fully cooked.  My partner insists that cats would actually prefer raw meat and it is good for them, but I just can't allow any raw meat eaters in the house!! :sick:  I have also heard that raw eggs are good for their fur, but they look rather too disgusting for me so he only gets them scrambled or hard boiled... :shy:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 14:06:41 PM »
raw pork is a big no no but I think cooked pork is ok for most cats.  It is quite fatty and not the most digestible meat, but ok in small amounts for most.  Hi life used to do a pork and game pouch (think they've changed their flavours recently) and there are a few other foods that include pork or ham.  Mine love feline fayre chicken and ham.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 14:00:44 PM »
Quite a lot of cat foods contain pork in some amount.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 13:57:37 PM »
Um, sorry about another ignorance from me... is there a problem concerning a cat eating pork?  Oliver has been eating pork sausage, ham, prosciuto, bacon, speck and all sorts of pork products and hugely enjoys it... :scared:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 13:49:20 PM »
I'm confused too..........Ham comes from pigs...  :-:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 13:44:52 PM »
I'm confused!  if it says ham in the title it must have pork mustn't it??

Offline Parée

• Adult Cat
    • Teddy Boys Reunited
Tesco Cat Food
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 13:20:49 PM »
I have just got off the phone to Tesco's to let them know that one of their cat foods that they are selling has real Pork in it, the cat food is called Tesco Supreme Chicken & Ham, the lady I spoke to has taken my number, I will let you know when Tesco ring me back
A cat is for life

Link to CatChat