Author Topic: Upsetting - rescue in the US  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Upsetting - rescue in the US
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2007, 22:49:26 PM »
WEll, they have managed to get some rescues to help out with some of the cats, and some going to farm homes, so it helps out a bit, they are sadly still having to pts some, but ones that they can't medicate and can't leave ill either, so slightly easier, esp as some of their littermates were sadly killed by a car, so at least these have had a chance and will get to go with someone who cares.

This bit in her pm made me sad though: Bella & Betsy-2 kittens who came in @ 3 weeks w/ their mom from a "breeder"...they're now about 10-12 weeks & have lived in the cage their entire lives
3 "W" babies who were born to a preggo cat & are now 6 months old, they've lived in cages since 2 months of age(someone is taking these)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 22:52:28 PM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 21:29:05 PM »
WEll, actually, most of them are shelters over there, and I have been informed this one I have been talking about is a Humane Society not a rescue!! I would like to know what you think they should be called Mark. At the end of the day, they are trying to help animals, and they dont take them in thinking 'oh, another one for us to pts', they take them in with the purpose of finding homes, and do their best for that, they dont want to euthanase pets, if they did, they wouldn't try different things, or take them home to foster, and would stick with being a 90% kill shelter.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 16:43:31 PM »
I still think they should have another name if they PTS

This is a dictionary definition of Rescue

Definition of rescue (verb)
forms: rescued; rescued; rescuing
to save from harm; to deliver from danger; to free from risk

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 16:43:26 PM »
I know someone who does dog rescue in the states and I know it is a real struggle, she has ended up keeping lots of them luckily her husband has a good income and she has given up work to devote her time to it fully but in 10 years of marriage they have never hoildayed together

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 16:38:55 PM »
(They shouldn't be called a rescue if they PTS healthy animals!  >:( )

I have to disagree with this Mark, it isn't anyone in rescue's fault that healthy animals have to be pts, that is down to irresponsible 'owners' who dump their animals - like over here, all the volunteers that work in shelters do it voluntarily to help save as many animals as we can. I know from the woman I have been talking to, a lot of the volunteers there do take animals home to foster, and they dont want to have to pts, but if they are struggling to adopt cats out, and their rules state they have to have x amount of cages, they dont get a choice (they did buy more cages last week, but have now physically run out of space to put anymore, or they would just buy more cages). People who are doing their bit shouldnt have their efforts dismissed, at the end of the day, they are doing as much as they can to save as many as they can, and having to pick up the pieces of irresponsible people, and sadly, that sometimes involves having to be there at the end, cos the owner has let them down, not the rescue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 16:38:27 PM »
Yes Michelle,

What made it feel like those other videos is the way living, breathing, feeling animals were just loaded into the box to be "disposed of" one of the dogs was lifted into the box using some kind of pole with a loop around its neck - It is just so at odds with the glossy image we have of America. I have also seen a video of the barbaric way animals are killed in a kosher slaughterhouse outside New York. I won't go into detail but it was one of the most frightening, upsetting things I have ever seen - what makes it worse is apparently the animals are killed that way for religious reasons. I have no time for religion anyway. It has a lot to answer for.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 16:39:33 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 15:54:23 PM »
It reminded me of the Chinese market videos and I found it hard to comprehend this kind of thing being done in so-called civilised countries.

I have also heard of a chamber (I can't remember the name of it) where the oxygen is slowly removed. The animals pass out, then the rest of the air is taken out  :'(

Was that the one where the Cats and Dogs were taken there for their fur Mark ?
Arrived on the back of lorries and then the cages thrown down onto the floor (AND THATS AS FAR AS I GOT...vouldnt watch anymore)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 15:15:33 PM »
The PETA description was upsetting. The were talking about one particular "rescue" in North Carolina where the animals were piled on top of one another. Panicking and trying to get out and attacking eachother in fear. I watched the start of the video where dogs were being put into a coal-bunker type box. What made it even more heartbreaking was the fact that they were all wagging their tails as they trust people implicitly. I didn't see the deed being done as I had to stop the video. If I could have learned something from it, maybe I would have forced myself - but I didn't need to see that kind of thing being done by a "rescue" (They shouldn't be called a rescue if they PTS healthy animals!  >:( )

It reminded me of the Chinese market videos and I found it hard to comprehend this kind of thing being done in so-called civilised countries.

I have also heard of a chamber (I can't remember the name of it) where the oxygen is slowly removed. The animals pass out, then the rest of the air is taken out  :'(

I still maintain, there is no excuse for any kind of breeding when this kind of thing is happening in the world.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 15:17:07 PM by Mark »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 14:47:15 PM »
While I disagree completely with rescues using gassing as a method, I would actually ask the rescue why they do it that way, before condemning them.

Cost efficency. If a rescue has to euthanise large amounts of animals they should atleast do it humanely. IMO theres no excuse for such a horrid end no matter what 'reasons'  they have.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
While I disagree completely with rescues using gassing as a method, I would actually ask the rescue why they do it that way, before condemning them.
It does show that the spay/neuter message is even more important in the US, as their rescues are different from ours, and some of the cats I have had would stand no chance over there, they couldnt keep cats for 14 months until a home came along. I am just grateful that people like this lady can do it, as her (and the other volunteers) do everything in their power not to have to get to this, and if they have to, they will make sure those cats know love and go with someone who cares. I asked her about adoptions yesterday, and this was the response,

To be blunt, adoptions suck. Our kill rate would be over 90% if we did not place cats/kittens on farm homes(at no adoption fee). We have almost no indoor adoptions, 2 in the past 7-8 weeks. We've been bouncing back & forth between euthanizing cats & euthanizing dogs, we did put a few dogs down, but they were all 3 aggressive enough we feared they would bite someone & one did bite someone

IT just shows how hard her work is compared to mine, I cant imagine doing that poorly on adoptions, it really would be a hard task. Just reading their website and found these statistics

The Humane Society of the United States (www.hsus.org) give the following staggering statistics regarding pet overpopulation in our country:

1) Number of cats and dogs entering animal shelters each year: 6-8 million

2) Number of animal shelters in the United States: between 4,000 and 6,000

« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 07:54:16 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 20:04:34 PM »
There is a PETA video of a "rescue" in north carolina that piles dogs into a huge box and gasses them with carbon monoxide. I couldn't watth all the video but disgusted that a country like America resorts to inhumane methods like this  >:( Its cruel beyond belief  :'(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 19:42:37 PM »
Very sad  :( and still happening here even tho we are much smaller country and have a rescue structure unlike other countires where the cats have nothing.
Something i read the other day highlighted a US rescue who still uses gas to kill the cats, not even a dignified death  >:(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 12:51:37 PM »
Thats why I can't see any justification in any kind of breeding. I'm sure the thread will be closed for having that opinion

Possibly it would be closed Mark if we  posted what we really thought about breeding.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 12:36:21 PM »
I genuinely couldn't do that. I know the lady HAD to, but she must be a stronger person than me. I just couldn't.

Snap. When I helped out at a certain rescue they PTS some perfectly healthy animals. The main problem with this was how it was decided. One of the dogs went because "she gave the wrong image in the run and had a funny shaped head." (The reason she gave the wrong image was that her sheer desperation to get noticed made her bark a lot at everyone who passed her run.)

Anyway, I do understand that sometimes there just isn't the space, but it horrifies me that humans are so idiotic this is still the case. >:(

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 12:31:10 PM »
Thats why I can't see any justification in any kind of breeding. I'm sure the thread will be closed for having that opinion  :(

ccmacey

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 12:26:51 PM »
If only more people were aware of the benefits of neutering  :(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 12:23:30 PM »
yes Desley I fully agree, IT IS important and cannot be brushed under the carpet, but it is so sad to read such thing's :'(

I must admit though over the years, where I stay (Fraserburgh, Roughly 15000 population) I don't see so many cat's
roaming the street's, as compared to 10 years ago, so that must be a good thing, also all the Furbabes I know who have
People have been neutered..

« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 12:25:33 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 08:29:47 AM »
I genuinely couldn't do that. I know the lady HAD to, but she must be a stronger person than me. I just couldn't.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:00:16 AM »
It is a shame there is the down side, but I do feel it is important, we can't just talk about all the happy stuff and ignore the reality out there. i suspect that in the US, like over here, things are worse this year. They have had very few adoptions too, which doesnt help - they adopted out a pair of cats this week, and the woman gave them 30 mins before deciding they had to come back, that is so sad.
Please spay your cat

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 23:16:45 PM »
This is the one thing I have been discovering about coming on the Purr's website, Apart from all the Heart warming story's
and all the beautiful pictures ;D :Luv: " The Feel Good Stuff "
there is also the down side, you hear & read a lot of sad Topic's, Rainbow Bridge, Lost & Missing stories and of course this topic.

I'm trying to think of something to make people feel better, But I can't  :(

It really is a shame that in this day & age, this kind of thing still happen's :'(
So Heartbreaking.
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 23:07:04 PM »
It would break my heart to do it once  :'( - It must be heartbreaking for them  :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 22:57:06 PM »
Me too Ellie, fostering is nothing compared to that - thankfully, for her, it doesnt happen that much, this is only the third time it has been mentioned since last July (and that was the first time in nearly 4 years), but I still wouldnt like to be in her position.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 22:54:01 PM »
Mine too Desley.

My heart goes out to the person on the other forum  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2007, 22:42:31 PM »
All mine shall be getting an extra cuddle tonight (Well, Tiger has already had hers), they are lucky.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2007, 22:40:20 PM »
Oh Desley that is heartbreaking  :'( I don't know what to say   :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Upsetting - rescue in the US
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2007, 22:34:53 PM »
Am in tears tonight, have been talking to someone who works in rescue in the US, and despite not being a no-kill shelter, they try not to euthanaze (And last July was the first time in 4 years they have had to, nearly had to a year later, but fortunately adopted a few out), but are so overrun that they are having to consider euthanasing at least 6 cats this week, and they also have cats with health issues that may have to be pts, adoptions are very low at the moment, and they already had to stop taking in surrender cats due to no space. This is despite buying more cages and having cats in foster homes. As hard as I find it to say no to people, not knowing what will happen to the cat otherwise (although I generally dont just say no, I do pass on other no's, and take names and numbers in case a foster happens to go and I have space), at least we dont have to stand there and decide who has to have that final vet visit to make space (they are county run, so have mandates on how many spare cages they have, as they have to take in strays), I feel so sorry for the people who have to do that, but also have a lot of respect for them, I am not sure I could do it, but the animals need someone like her who has a heart and will show them as much love as she can, and they will go with someone who cares holding them.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat