Author Topic: How could someone do this?  (Read 1861 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How could someone do this?
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 23:08:50 PM »
I think 2 of the biggest things with oldies PEte, is people's perceptions on how long they will have, and the cost.  I had wanted to help a harder to home group of cats, my 'first' cat was a 14 yo, who i only had for 9 weeks, then my second was a 5 yo, who I thought would be with me for years, and sadly died after 8 months. So I decided that I would help oldies, and if I had to keep going through the pain, at least it would be offset by the knowledge that they had a wonderful home for the most important time of their life, but not everyone can do that. And they have cost me thousands over the years, PEbbles alone cost about £1100 last year, and Tiger must be nearly at 4 figures this year - fortunately, I now know about pet insurance, so the last two years haven't been nearly as bad as before, but I have found myself up to my credit card limit and majorly into my overdraft paying vets bills.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 19:56:58 PM »
The  :censored: disposable society in which we live. Come the revolution, I have a lamp post lined up for each of them.

My neighbours split up. One went travelling and father and daughter went to live in rented accommodations where no animals were allowed. The result. 19 year old Chloe came to live with us. We knew her age was right as she had been bought for the daughter on her 1st birthday.

I still think that they could have sorted something out for her. Chloe just made it to her 22nd birthday. Whilst not at her best, she gave us tremendous love and we ensured that she wanted for nothing in terms of love, affection and medical care. I don't say that for effect - but just to say, what many on here know. An older cat can offer so much and to deny that or not even look into it says more about people than it does about cats.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 18:15:44 PM »
I had NO idea they could live to 32 Ela - that's amazing!!! 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 08:40:45 AM »
I doubt she will get a home before she dies,

I think you would be surprised how many people are willing to take in a 'Golden Oldie', the oldest cat Cats Protection ever took in and homed was 32 (no I have not got the figures the wrong way round) I must say this cat came in with a much younger cat not because it was not wanted.

RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
When mum moved into the house that she is in now and has been there 8 years this month there was 2 cats already there which the bloke who previously lived there left behind, She kept them and still has them now. The daughter of the bloke came round about a year after we moved there to ask were the cats were mum said she had taken them on and the women said "good coz i didnt want them anyway"  >:(

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 01:30:40 AM »
Sadly it happens so much.  Bella was five months old when I adopted her and had already been returned to the CPL four times by owners who didn't want her anymore - two because they found her too attention-seeking, one because they wanted to put her in a cattery while they went on hols but didn't want to pay for jabs, and one because they decided to get a puppy instead when their kids weren't very impressed with having a kitten.  Minnie lived nextdoor to me before she was my cat, and was left behind when they emigrated because they could only afford to put one cat in quarantine and chose the other.  They never even told any of the neighbours they were leaving her behind - just put her in the garden and moved out.  After seven years of owning her.  It upsets me to this day  >:( >:(

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 00:36:26 AM »
Exactly my mum has a cat called mitz who is 14-15 years old he has never been a very friendly cat and has just recently been yowling and meowing all the time but like she said he is going nowere

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 00:34:21 AM »
yes my kocka did near the end but no way was she going anywher. JS has that prob at the momebnt and its just an aging thing but they have v=been our friends for a long time and do not deserve to be abandoned.

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 00:17:46 AM »
Its like when terry was vouluntering at a local rescue there was some man took a 16 year old cat in and said he had her all her life but she now made to much noise  >:(
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 00:18:11 AM by tiggynpips mum »

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 00:14:42 AM »
I really do not know how anyone could dump a cat of that age its so heartless :'(

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 00:13:57 AM »
So sad  :(

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 00:08:59 AM »
I hope they do too the bad thing is the kittens are going there for there jabs next week and ill be so tempted to bring her home,
They only have a few cats there and there eithier all poorly or old, One only has one ear as it had ear cancer, another only has one eye, and the rest range between 14-22 years old.

I can't see many people wanting any of them unless they see past there age etc. (me and terry have decided when we do get another cat we will get an oldie)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 23:26:28 PM »
Thats terrible and 22 is such a great age, I do hope that RSPCA let her live  :'( :'(

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 23:01:42 PM »
Unbelievable what somepeople are capable of :(
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 22:58:38 PM »
i hate seeing oldies in rescue, i hope someone can see past her age. At least she contacted a rescue though, so many people just ring the vets.
Please spay your cat

• Hero Cat
How could someone do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 22:56:07 PM »
I just went on the rspca paws centre website for my local area and when ever i look on a site like this i cant help but look at the cats that need rehoming and when i did it made so so angry!

Theres a 22 year old female cat needing a home and it says on there that the owner no longer wanted it,

I really don't see how the  :censored: people can do this! I doubt she will get a home before she dies,

Im so tempted but its so close after loosing kitty and also i don't think she would be impressed by 2 kittens.

Link to CatChat