Author Topic: We have been accepted to foster  (Read 5085 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: We have been accepted to foster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 08:11:56 AM »
I am just so glad you have found someone to foster for Liz, it really would have been such a shame for people who have the time and dedication that you and OH have to be forced to stop due to rules.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 16:17:19 PM »
Ela please be assured our cats if anything should happen to us are well provided

I appreciate that and it is not me that is worried. But I expect CP have over the years had so many bad experiences with people. I know we have when something has happened and within a day we have needed to take into care dozens of cats. Unfortunately so many people are not as organized as you obviously are. Perhaps CP  should look at each case individually. Still CP loss in this case.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2006, 16:08:09 PM »
Ela please be assured our cats if anything should happen to us are well provided for in fact they will be very well off as we have no 2 footeds and everything is theirs for their life time including the do not split up and remove them clause - our solicitor is animal mad and he has said that not most people make the provision for their furkids.

Also most of our cats are not homeable to a "normal" home as the majority are ferals and have their own ways - the will also comes complete with a list of each thing specific to each cat including photographs so not entered in to lightly.

I also say that our lives revolve around their every need and that does include fosters to and at least a lovely smaller cahrity is now getting support and a comfort zone for their worst types - as I have said before I have lovely ferals some like humans others like the interaction and others are work in progress!!!! ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 08:29:28 AM »
CP rep had visited instead I got an IM to say no we don't need you in anyway

That is terrible and whoever contacted you should be ashamed of themselves, I know the number thing is a big concern not only some Councils object ( I appreciate yours don't) but they also think of the volunteers and what would happen if one had numerous cats and for some reason they could not care for them. However. everyone  can be utilised in some way and help the group improve.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2006, 21:27:11 PM »
Ela - Council were consulted before we moved and had no issues re our numbers and it would have been nice if the CP rep had visited instead I got an IM to say no we don't need you in anyway despite me notifying them 5 months ago that we were moving and not working for 16 weeks so a visit may have been nice!

We will now have a wonderful cat and dog filled christmas and no other hunmans till new year, just us and the furkids and the log burner and lots of pressies, catnip and wrapping paper for the hooligans to shred!

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2006, 21:16:03 PM »
You lucky munkee i am soooo Jealous ..think someone is going to be very busy this xmas
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »
Having been turned down by the CP in our new area

It is very sad that good fosters sometimes cannot foster for CP however their reasoning is:- Too many cats at a single premises may excite the interest of the local Authority who may insist on reducing numbers.
Branches with a purpose built Shelter with local Authority consent and planning permission will already be aware of the maximum numbers of cats permitted at those premises.
Where private homes are being used to foster cats without planning permission then Cats Protection recommends that there should be no more than twelve cats at the premises, including the fosterer's own cats. This figure seems to be acceptable to most Authorities, although it should be stressed that there is no guarantee that all. Authorities will adopt the same policy.
If the number of cats exceeds that stipulated by the local Authority then the Planning Officer may conclude that there has been a change of use at the premises and may serve an enforcement notice. Further information on planning issues for volunteers is available from Headquarters.
It may be that in rural areas, where potential problems with neighbours are less likely to occur, Authorities may be more flexible, although, again, there is no guarantee. Equally, some modern urban accommodation is so small that twelve would be an unacceptably high number.

It is though when the new animal rights rule are actual law authorities may well crack down on multi cat households and of course there are always the jobsworth sort of people.

Unfortunately in too many case Fosterers have needed to reduce the number of cats due to the authorities.

Offline deniseb90

• Senior Cat
    • Anim-Mates
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 12:05:35 PM »
Congratulations and again why did CP not grab you with both hands!!!!

Dilute torties - oh no!!  I've got one of those.... me want!!!!

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 11:15:40 AM »
Well done Des.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 10:28:46 AM »
Well done you  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 16:12:26 PM »
Peter yes it is the Cat Action Trust and its thanks to Des that we can continue to help the feral cats and others who will come our way.

Des kindly gave me information and I followed it up and some boys will be coming to us for christmas so they can start a wonderful journey to a new life - they are ferals aged 1 year plus so will take a bit longer than normal but time is what we have and I'm sure it will be a long yet rewarding joiurney as some of our own have been some of course are still work in progress!!!!

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 14:53:37 PM »
Well done Liz.

Sometimes I don't understand CP. I don't think that feral work is high profile enough or sexy enough for the HO senior jobsworths.

Is it cat Action Trust 1977 that has accepted you? If so, I have met Elkie de Vries on numerous occasions; she is based in London and is one of the most knowledgable people that I have ever met on feral welfare. I looked for her yesterday at the National Cat Show but, sadly, CAT did not have a stand this year. Probably, travelling and pitch costs which can be restrictive for the independents.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 14:20:34 PM »
 :Luv: What excellent news Liz.

Congratulations
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 12:10:36 PM »
That is excellent news Liz - bet they will keep you busy, what a shame yours have issues with females though.

I am sure you will change their worlds for the better, if Pebbles wasn't poorly, I would have a new foster for X Mas cos I get two weeks off.
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:01:13 PM »
Our new fosters should be with us before christmas as the lady has 2 boys in mind - she had 2 dilute tortie sisters but my girls won't tolerate anymore ladies and thats when the spraying starts so we are going down the line of boys only and kittens and pregnanat mums as they have issues with non of those just other ladies!

Des it will be a good end to the year for us as we have both mised fostering and have nearly 3 weeks with our fosters so hope to change their worlds for the better and they will also have a home for however long it takes.

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 23:13:35 PM »
Thats really good news Liz.  With so many furbabes need a good foster home, CP should have jumped at the opportunity.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 22:55:54 PM »
You are very very welcome Liz - CP were daft to let you go - I was telling the person I foster for today, but I got the donations wrong. Cant wait to here how long it takes for your first foster
Please spay your cat

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 21:21:07 PM »
Hi Liz - that is magnificent news.

Lately Rescue shelters appear to have been very picky about who who can adopt.

Well done I wish you and your foster ferals all the best.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 20:58:23 PM »
That's brilliant news  ;D  You sound like a dream come true for a rescue, shame on your local CP  :P

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
We have been accepted to foster
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 20:53:43 PM »
Had a lovely visit today from a lady from Cat Action Trust and we are now going to be fosterers for them for ferals!

Cat Action Trust will now get our previous donations of £3000 annually as well and the lady nearly wanted to move in with us!  She says that our own cats look wonderful and she is happy to check with our old and new vets and our CP Coordinator from our old CP branches.   She is also greatful that we will cover litter, food and vets bills should any occur during their time with us - it may be long term fosters but with our numbers a couple more make no difference!

Having been turned down by the CP in our new area with no visit from them and despite fostering for CP in our old home for 10 years and 2 branches they decided bu IM that our current cats posed a health risk to any potential fosters  so we could do nothing for them!  They also lost our annual contribution of about £3000 from fostering and charity matching schemes - nice to know they can afford to do thatwhen their website advises otherwise!

I also have a personal thanks to Desley for this as she put me in touch with the Cat Action Trust and has allowed us to keep fostering so on behalf of our family thanks Des, ;D

Link to CatChat