Author Topic: "palatable" Tablets  (Read 2484 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: "palatable" Tablets
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2007, 11:16:02 AM »
enough for him to get a whiff  :evillaugh:

It might help though so I will ask the vet but there may be regulations involved. I have 54 of the 2.5mg to get through 1st so will try to remember the next time.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »
You'd have one small end uncoated the rest would be sealed. They are more of an oblong shape so better for snapping

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 23:39:50 PM »
That's the one  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 23:08:55 PM »
I thought it was great as turkey is healthier and he loves poultry. I cleared the shelf at 53p a tray (about 20 trays) and he turned his nose up  >:(

Loved poultry yesterday, but not today  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 22:24:04 PM »
They were stale by then. The amount of cat things that go to waste in this house is unbelievable  :Crazy:

I bought Clapton the new tesco premium turkey pate tonight as he liked the lamb one. I thought it was great as turkey is healthier and he loves poultry. I cleared the shelf at 53p a tray (about 20 trays) and he turned his nose up  >:(
He ate a bit of a lamb one but was more interested in my chicken in the micro.

Eventually, I opened a can of whiskas and he scoffed it  :Crazy:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 22:14:32 PM »
None of mine would eat them - I threw them out in the end  :-:

Oooh no - you could have thrown them my way!  :gimme:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 20:17:29 PM »
Probably if you halve the 5mg , the coating will be halved too so it will not work.

Thats what I thought  >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2007, 18:49:42 PM »
Probably if you halve the 5mg , the coating will be halved too so it will not work.

Kocka just could not be medicated at all by tablet although there was one antibiotic in a capsule that I could open and put iy with fish! Also her blood pressure med was a 1/4 of a tiny tablet and I could crush it and put it in her AD diet, just had a problem dividing the tab into quarters!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2007, 16:09:54 PM »
Would your vet be open to the idea of prescribing half a 5mg?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 14:05:53 PM »
You've probably already tried these, but what about the Defurrum treats? My lot can't get enough of these, including Elsa, who will snatch out of my hand - and gets her carefully concealed pill at the same time  :evillaugh: Jasper has his fortekor in defurrums too, I just put the treat with his food - and he eats the treat first!

None of mine would eat them - I threw them out in the end  :-:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2007, 13:49:43 PM »
At the moment, the Jumpster is taking his meds crushed in his food. But I've been to hell and back in the past. I don't know what I'll do if he start refusing that! :tired:

I tried absolutely everything. Ham. Chicken. Defurrum. Potatos. Cheese. Dairylea.... he won't have anything!   :P

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 13:36:27 PM »
You've probably already tried these, but what about the Defurrum treats? My lot can't get enough of these, including Elsa, who will snatch out of my hand - and gets her carefully concealed pill at the same time  :evillaugh: Jasper has his fortekor in defurrums too, I just put the treat with his food - and he eats the treat first!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 10:55:51 AM »
Clapton is too wise, He always has a good sniff before eating anything. In fact, when I  put it in ham, I have to give him 3 or 4 "untainted" pieces before the "special" one so he has dropped his guard  :evillaugh:

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 09:54:25 AM »
I do know what you mean there. Fortunately my "secret" foster just gobbles them up with dinner, he's a very hungry boy. If, however, he misses it and it gets slightly mushy it gets left alone completely, in fact he goes to the trouble of eating around it!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 09:47:25 AM »
It works "most" of the time but if he smells it at all, thats it. I have tried everything. Obviously they think they can cover a nasty smell up with something that appeals to cats but in reality its probably the equivalent of us having strawberry medicine - it still tastes disgusting. If they film coated them like the bigger tabs, they would be much easier to conceal.

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 09:19:10 AM »
I had a similar problem with my bridge babe last year. It was hard enough getting her to eat anything let alone a renal diet and then a Fortekor on top? No chance. I did find Beef paste helped in both instances. As long as it has no onion or onion related stuff and is mainly beef. It's worked for me when all else has failed.

Otherwise it's the vet method. Quickly and as little stress as possible. Be confident and pop it in. Good luck!  ;D
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
"palatable" Tablets
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 08:01:49 AM »
Clapton is on 2.5mg of fortekor a day. I have great trouble administering as the 2.5mg version is supposedly palatable but he doesn't think so  :evillaugh:. I usually wrap in ham or chicken and hope he doesn't smell it as he won't take it if he can. I ordered a repeat this week and they asked if I would like a 56 pack to save keep going back. I said yes (£44  :Crazy: ) The leaflet inside says the 2.5's are palatable but the 5mg & 20mg are film coated. I wish the 2.5's were as it would make life so much easier. They dissolve so easily that he smells them even more so makes it even harder. I have found this with other "so called" palatable pills. They would be so much easier to disguise in food with no smell.

Link to CatChat