Author Topic: Cat given Dr Martin for Dogs Flea treatment very seriously ill  (Read 7755 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Cat given Dr Martin for Dogs Flea treatment very seriously ill
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 18:12:59 PM »
I have read many bad things about Dr Martin and Johnson 4 fleas.

I personally would never buy anything like this, yes they are alot cheaper but doesnt that tell you something to start with ??!!

Lisa, I am sure Leo will be fine.
In furture use Drontal oo Milbamax for worming and Frontline,Stronghold or Advantage for fleas

xxx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 08:25:25 AM »
There are cases on here http://www.moggies.co.uk/articles/bob_martin.html

I also saw a site that sells it and advises not to treat dogs with it if there are cats in the same household
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2007, 22:21:08 PM »
I also read on the internet recently about a cat that died from damage to its central nervous system after using Bob Martin spot on for cats. I have never used it on my cats as always get Frontline but I had a vial of it for my guinea pigs and was trying to find out more on google before using it. The google search came up with some horrific stories about what Bob Martin spot on has done to cats. Why is this stuff still for sale absolutely everywhere! (By the way I rang them about the GP one and it does not contain the nerve affecting pesticides that are in the cat one, the GP one only uses repellants)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 17:06:34 PM »
Do not use it again for Leo, you have been lucky this time but dont take risks with his life.

You need to get flea and wormer or anything like this from the vets and you can also buy frontline on the web cheaper.

He would have been ill very quickly so he he is OK, but apart from this being dangerous it also doesnt work, its useless.

Also just remembered Frontline can now be bought over the counter too.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 16:58:05 PM »
st a warning to people not to use stuff meant for dogs on cats.

An idiot in our  Town gave Bob Martin dog wormer to their 2 cats sadly one did not survive and the other was in the vets for a week.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline lisa77

• Hero Cat
  • Little Leo..
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 15:12:25 PM »
Really great News..

I am slightly worried tho as this is what I used for Leo... I didnt have a clue shop ones were absolutley useless ??

Im sure I would of known if Leo was poorly by now tho ??? it was on 24th I used it ? god worried

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:54 AM »
Brilliant news, do hope the owner seeks advice from the vet next time. ;D

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 23:56:58 PM »
That IS Good News  ;D :Luv:
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 22:25:40 PM »
Lucky escape - lets hope the person has learned a lesson. Now Bob Martin & other manufacturers should be lobbied to put a big warning on the box. I'm just thinking of people who have cats and dogs who might be tempted to buy one pack for all. Anyway, glad the cat is OK  :Luv:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 22:19:31 PM »
Phew - so pleased the pud is ok.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 22:06:35 PM »
I was told that with quick action this puss recovered enough to be let home yesterday. Puss belonged to a student and just didnt realise the affect on the puss..

I think it was just sheer ignorance!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 18:25:45 PM »
Any news on this one?

This company are being responsible but i worry it draws attention to those sickos who would intentionally apply it  :( http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/prodinfo.asp?number=FLEAD6

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 23:44:44 PM »
Here is the post I made back in Feb:

Flea Treatment Problems - A WARNING
« on: February 23, 2007, 02:22:59 PM »       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know most people on here would only use vet approved flea treatments but have just received an email concerning an over the counter one. There are a number of issues relating to this email, like vet treatment and whether a cat should be left in this state etc etc, so please dont shoot the messenger!

We all know that reactions can happen from any of jabs but this one is new to me and definately a warning. Obviously a very bad reaction has happened.

This is the story of what has happened to one cat:

Our poor little cat Millie is very sick after been given a product that is supposed to be good for her! A few days ago we put some Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment on her which is to prevent her getting any fleas.

The product is widely available in pet stores and also even some supermarkets. Since then our cat has been in the vets for 2 days  and has been on a drip and had sedatives and steroids. The product has badly effected her nervous system and although she is out of the vets now, she is still very ill and has so far been lucky not have died

She has had a number of 'fits' were she has no control over her body and is writhing around, jumping and twitching and is obviously in pain as her muscles spasm out of control. During some of these fits she has been completely out of it and has run into the walls and doors, causing herself more injury. Also in general she is not acting like her normal self. She is usually a very mild mannered an friendly cat, very relaxed and a lovely family pet. She is, at times, now so 'freaked out' she does not know where she is or what she is doing. Her eyes are often very wide open and bulging and she is very 'wired' and agitated. It is very upsetting and distressing to see an animal suffering like this.

The worrying thing about this is that the vets have seen this sort of reaction before with this product! This is not an isolated incident!

I have done a little bit of research on the internet and also found other mentions of this reaction on cats. The product is NOT sold at veterinary clinics, but is available over the counter (at pet  stores, supermarkets etc...) because the chemicals used are different to the ones in other products that are applied in the same way (drops to the  back of the neck). These chemicals should not be used on animals as they have not been as stringently tested as the ones available at the vets and there have been a number of cases reported where this reaction has taken place. Some cats have died from this.

There are no warnings at  all on the packet that indicate anything like this. It does say the cat  may salivate if the animal manages to lick any of the product, as it has  a bitter taste. Well, our cat has been salivating quite a lot, not because she has licked any of the product, as this was washed off as soon as  we noticed it was giving her a problem.

She has been salivating because the product has caused herserious harm and damage, caused her to have  fits every few hours where she has no control of herself and salivates heavily as well as wets herself. Its not very pleasant to see the family pet  in such a distressing state. We do not know yet if the damage will be permanent.

The product is meant to protect the cat from fleas for 1 month, so we are guessing it will be in her system for that long and obviously if she is having fits for a month it may well effect her in the longer term.

If you could please pass this on to other pet owners then maybe some other animals we be saved some suffering.

The product is Bob Martin Spot On flea treatment, and I would recommend that no one uses it, ever. Get another product from your vets, such as Frontline, which is thoroughly tested and safe to use. I have also set up an e-mail address so if anyone else has had this>happen to them, if you could send an e-mail with the details to: BobMartinProblems@hotmail.co.uk

There have been cases of this reaction when people have incorrectly used the dog treatment on cats. This is not the case here. We have the packaging and the batch number of the product, and according to all the packaging it is the correct one for cats, although this going to be sent away and tested.)

DO NOT BUY BOB MARTIN SPOT ON FLEA TREATMENT
PLEASE PASS THIS E_MAIL ON TO ANYONE YOU KNOW WHO HAS A CAT AND ASK THEM TO PASS IT ON TO ANYONE THEY KNOW 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 23:41:19 PM »
What a stupid ignorant vet, he should not be practising  >:( >:(

We do have a thread on here about the the cat spot on from Dr Martin which we warned against around March.

Will have to dig out the thread again cos it was repeated early summer I think.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 08:40:37 AM »
I'd be contacting the vet personally too!!! How irresponsible was that advice!!! Hope they are getting a discount on the treatment :mad2:

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »
OMG would you believe this.. I found this while on Google!"! Please spread the word........................

Caution: do not take a chance on 'Bob Martin' products
by rachel jackson - written on 04.10.07 - Rating:  (1 of 5 possible stars)

Advantages No advantages: horrific suffering for a most beloved pet
Disadvantages No highly visible warnings: vets to be aware and inform owners of correct brand to be applied
Our vet recommended buying a puppy/dog flea treatment since our cat was so large (big tom) and riddled with the ever prevelant flea problem. As advised we purchased a puppy/dog treatment and chose 'Bob Martin' since it was the only available treatment on offer. Appling one dose to the rear of his head, he soon demonstrated the tell tale symptoms of a nerve toxin: convulsions, loss of balance and disorientation.

Fortunately, gut instinct kicked in and we immediately ran him down to the vet as soon as the symtoms arose. The cat is now on a drip, shaved (to remove all treatment remanents on hair/coat) and has been heavily dosed with a sedative to reduce ongoing tremours/convulsions. Needless to say, we are devastated and have been informed there is a very minimal chance he will recover (side effects: toxins stored in fat, expected liver damage at best). We are sitting, praying he will make it (I am crying as I write this).

Please take care, read the treatment instructions from cover to cover (who of course site this treatment as highly poisonious to cats in small print: no highly visible warning) and be aware that the vet might not neccessarily point this out when advising on correct flea treatment for large cats.

We shall not be sleeping tonight. Summary: Do not use 'Bob Martin': I shall be contacting them personally
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 08:34:22 AM »
I will try today to find out if puss survived, but it wasnt looking hopeful..!
If it was Isobel our veterinary nurse was going to take him/her home to see if puss had a quality of life and then we go from there.

I am going to do a small bit in our next newsletter about this and warn people not to use that stuff.. Poor idiots....!! All for sake of saving a few pounds..

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 23:41:07 PM »
What  :censored: ing IDIOTS  >:( >:( >:(

Poor Cat  :(

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 23:37:32 PM »
This is just awlful poor little puss. The so called owners should be charged with animal cruelty and banned from keeping any more animals.  >:(They shouls also be treated with Doc. Martins to see how they like it. Please post what happens the little kit.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 23:02:57 PM »
I think the manufacturers need to be told...  :shify:

What  :censored: idiots, though!  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 22:54:23 PM »
Poor cat - what planet are these idiots on? - it makes me so angry they have so little regard - to dump the poor baby makes it even worse. I hope there is Karma and they die from a lingering painful disease  >:(

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 22:52:29 PM »
I have heard of people doing this before - such  :censored: ers
The other thing that is quiet common is people using out of date flea stuff which can be fatal

Hope this little one pulls through

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 22:27:46 PM »
What idiots! Grrr. I hope the little one is ok. Pet shop wormers and flea stuff should be banned full stop

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 22:07:30 PM »
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the cat stuff is bad enough for them let alone the dog one, what were they thinking of the idiots >:( >:(

Wonder if they were trying to kill it?

I do hope it pulls through and without any permanent damage  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 22:02:14 PM »
OMG poor little soul ... sending lots of positive vibes that s/he pulls through  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

• Super Cat
Cat given Dr Martin for Dogs Flea treatment very seriously ill
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 21:59:58 PM »
Hi all
I only heard this second hand. But our welfare officer is a vet nurse and today took in young cat (7 months or so) that was treated with dog flea stuff (Dr Martins i think). It is now seriously ill and more then likely will suffer brain damage.. The cat was dumped at the vets by the owners an they have said they dont want it anymore. She was trying to get them to sign it over us.

I was told it may not survive as given a large dose meant for a large size dog..

It it can be saved then we will do our best, but its just a warning to people not to use stuff meant for dogs on cats.

These people were idiots!!!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 22:04:31 PM by canterbury_cats »

Link to CatChat