Author Topic: 20 (cat) questions  (Read 3539 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: 20 (cat) questions
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 22:52:02 PM »
Thats one question I didnt use being that I had birmans and my birmans are brothers and names have different letters!

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 22:50:03 PM »

[13]Nearly all breeders of which cat breed, name their cats according to which year they are born?

Nearly all breeders of Birmans name their cats according to which year they are born. Birman kittens born in 2004 will have a name starting with B, 2005 the names will start with C

Not strictly true actually. Breeders of the Chartreux (not many in the UK, but still) do the same.

Also, in France, a year letter is allocated by the governing / registering body of the cat fancy and ALL the kittens born in that year MUST have a pedigree name beginning with that particular letter. I believe the same is applicable for most of Europe.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 19:34:56 PM »
We used to have a two week cat quizz on here and I have used all of those in the past  :rofl: :rofl:

Now we have a weekly Gen Knowledge quizz on Tue in the Ctas Basket at 2100....................anyone can come and play and its live!!!!!!!! :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Oliver
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 14:03:15 PM »
LOL Ickle  :rofl: :rofl: I did think I was spoiling it a wee bit when I posted :doh:
I there for " Pledge a Promise not to cheat ever again " :-[

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. Do I at least get a point for knowing why "Choco-late" doesn't come up on here ?? ;D

Oh OK :P

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 13:41:57 PM »
LOL Ickle  :rofl: :rofl: I did think I was spoiling it a wee bit when I posted :doh:
I there for " Pledge a Promise not to cheat ever again " :-[

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. Do I at least get a point for knowing why "Choco-late" doesn't come up on here ?? ;D

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 13:44:23 PM by Stuart (Misty's Dad) »
Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline Stuart

• Honorary Cat
  • Hamish, Misty, Olivia & Robbie
  • Slave to: none :'(
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 13:22:54 PM »
[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"? Pope Gregory IX

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding? four times daily

[3]What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as? catnip

[4]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat? the Turkish Van

[5]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the living room leopard? Bengal

[6]What is it that many owners report happens to their cats' coat after making the switch to premium cat food from low cost brands?
improved considerably, become glossier/silkier

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat? Siamese cats

[8]Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".? Bengal

[9]Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal? perfectly normal

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot? may have a fever

[11]Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as Smilodons? saber toothed tiger

[12]Why do cats need to scratch? remove the old layers of their nails

[13]Nearly all breeders of which cat breed, name their cats according to which year they are born? Birmans

[14]What did the Ancient Egyptians often decorate figurines of cats with? jewelry

[15]Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up? Ragdoll cats

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct? Ragdoll cats

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat? tabby gene

[18]What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam? a pair of Siamese cats

[19]Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats? Choco-late

[20]On which island was a jawbone of a cat, dated to 6000 BC, found? Cyprus

[19 b]OK, why does the text change to 'healthyfood' when I write the cho co late word?  
THE WORD CHOCO-LATE is banned from this Forum so as not to induce Temptation :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S. I'm Not clever,, thats what the internet is there for  ;)

I will post all the answers if no one gets them all...............no prizes just a bit of fun 8)

Dad to Bridge babes Hamish, Misty, Olivia and Robbie :'(

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 13:15:12 PM »

In order to avoid repeated answers (and some of them I don't know the answer :doh:), I will only respond to some of them...

[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"? Was that a Dog, or a Mouse?

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding? Every time he/she starts meaowing persistently and nip and scratch at your leg.

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat? Used to think that must be Sphynx... but I figure I was rather wrong... they are actually very sweet!

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot?  He (in Oliver's case) was closely studying inside the oven to see what's cooking.

[12]Why do cats need to scratch? To remind his/her slacking slave to get to work and serve him/her.

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct? My former master Hobbes, a peace loving dude who didn't even know what to do with a mouse.

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat? Some sort of royalty... well, I was chosen by Oliver, through the internet!!

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »
[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"? Witch hunter general.

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding? Four - depending on type of food

[3]What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as? Catnip

[4]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat? Abyssinian, I think?

[5]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the living room leopard? Bengal

[6]What is it that many owners report happens to their cats' coat after making the switch to premium cat food from low cost brands? Gets shinier?

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat? Sphinx

[8]Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".?

[9]Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal? Yes

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot? Fever

[11]Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as Smilodons? Sabre-tooth tiger

[12]Why do cats need to scratch? Themselves = fleas!  Other things = shed dead claw sheaths, mark territory, stretch

[13]Nearly all breeders of which cat breed, name their cats according to which year they are born?

[14]What did the Ancient Egyptians often decorate figurines of cats with?

[15]Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up? Ragdoll

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct? Dunno but I wouldn't mind one!

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat? Dunno - but my cats chose me!  Oh hang on, it's not the tabby gene is it?

[18]What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam?

[19]Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats? cho co late  OK, why does the text change to 'healthyfood' when I write the cho co late word?  :-:

[20]On which island was a jawbone of a cat, dated to 6000 BC, found?

I will post all the answers if no one gets them all...............no prizes just a bit of fun 8)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 13:00:41 PM by Catjane »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »
1  .....Witch hunters.
14.....Gold
17.....Tabby
20.....Channel (one of)?

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 12:23:28 PM »
[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"? No idea

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding? First 3 weeks they need to be fed every 2 hours and 3-4 weeks every 3 hours. At 4 weeks they will start to eat cat food as well as milk and amount of feeds depends of whether dry food is left for free feeding or whether purely wet is being used.

[3]What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as? Catnip

[4]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat? Turkish Van

[6]What is it that many owners report happens to their cats' coat after making the switch to premium cat food from low cost brands? Coat becomes glossier and softer

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat? No idea but guessing one of the foreign types like Siamese, Tonkinese etc as they make a nightmare noise

[8]Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".? Bengal

[9]Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal? yes

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot? stress, high temp

[11]Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as ? Sabre tooth tiger

[12]Why do cats need to scratch? Territory marking and to look after claws.

[13]Nearly all breeders of which cat breed, name their cats according to which year they are born? No idea

[14]What did the Ancient Egyptians often decorate figurines of cats with? No idea

[15]Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up? Ragdoll

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct? No idea

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? The polydactyl gene or the agouti gene I think?

[18]What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam? A pair of Siameses

[19]Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats? Cocoa

[20]On which island was a jawbone of a cat, dated to 6000 BC, found? No idea

Modified to put my answers in bold as I forgot earlier lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:29:52 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"?

My mum?

How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding?

Loads of times  ;D  Free feeding

What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as?

catnip

Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat?

Turkish van

Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the living room leopard?

Bengly?  although given that that is the answer futher down, maybe not... :-:

What is it that many owners report happens to their cats' coat after making the switch to premium cat food from low cost brands?

It turns purple.  And very shiny.

Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat?

Mosi.

Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".?

Bengly?

Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal?

:scared:

What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot?

He's been lying by the radiator

Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as Smilodons?

:-: :scared:

Why do cats need to scratch?

They do it to annoy us slaves and make us think they've got fleas

Nearly all breeders of which cat breed, name their cats according to which year they are born?

8) :innocent: :-:

What did the Ancient Egyptians often decorate figurines of cats with?

:Crazy:

Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up?

Raggies but it's not true

Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct?

Non fighting instinct??  :shify:

Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat?

??  african wild cat?  Yes I chose the right cats  ;)  Although Mosi drives me mad about 20 times a day.

Share with us how you made your choice and all the things that you cat does to let you know that she or he is the right one for you.
Did you choose the right cat or did the right cat choose you? 

What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam?

Siamese?  ;D

Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats?

Choccie  :Luv:

On which island was a jawbone of a cat, dated to 6000 BC, found?

:-: :scared:

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"?

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding?

[3]What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as?  Catnip

[4]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat?  Turkish Van

[6]What is it that many owners report happens to their cats' coat after making the switch to premium cat food from low cost brands?

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat?

[8]Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".?  Bengal?

[9]Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal?

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot?

[11]Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as Smilodons?

[12]Why do cats need to scratch?

[15]Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up?  Ragdoll

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct?

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat?

Share with us how you made your choice and all the things that you cat does to let you know that she or he is the right one for you.
Did you choose the right cat or did the right cat choose you? 

[18]What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam? Siamese cat?

[19]Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats?

I think thats a few of them :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 12:17:18 PM »
*whispers.... and 17*  :innocent:
:Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:silly me :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: thanks :Luv:

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
*whispers.... and 17*  :innocent:

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:14:29 PM »
not any more  :P

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 12:14:08 PM »
Not a clue about any of them, am interested to know the answer to number 10 though, I often notice my cats' ears being warm

Offline hannah (weeny)

• Honorary Cat
  • JASPER!!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:13:16 PM »
ummmm..... think at least i know munber 8!!!  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:13:39 PM by hannah (weeny) »

Offline No Name

• Adult Cat
20 (cat) questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 12:10:23 PM »
[1]Who declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature"?

[2]How many times a day does a kitten under twelve weeks need feeding?

[3]What is Nepeta Cataria more commonly known as?

[4]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the swimming cat?

[5]Which breed of cat is also often referred to as the living room leopard?

[7]Which breed of cat was once described as An unnatural, nightmare kind of cat?

[8]Which breed of cat has been described as having a coat "Quite unlike any other domestic breed, being more akin to the feel of a wildcat's pelt".?

[9]Is the presence of clear wax in your cat's ears is perfectly normal?

[10]What can it mean if your cat's ears are hot?

[11]Which large, fearsome, now extinct members of the cat family are also known as Smilodons?

[12]Why do cats need to scratch?

[15]Which breed of cat is reputed to become limp and supple when you pick them up?

[16]Which breed of cat is said to possess a non fighting instinct?

[17]Which gene do all breeds of domestic cat carry? Did you choose the right cat?

[18]What was Mr. Owen Gould, the British consul-general, given as a parting gift by the King of Siam?

[19]Which foodstuff contains the compound theobromine, safe for humans, possibly deadly for cats?

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 12:16:43 PM by ickle »

Link to CatChat