Author Topic: *hums* I have news...(pics added)  (Read 4391 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: *hums* I have news...(pics added)
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2007, 16:33:15 PM »
Glad they're settling in so well  :)  Feliway is great isn't it, I used the spray version recently with great success too.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2007, 08:41:32 AM »
These two are settling in really well, and I have to say that the purchase of a feliway diffuser has made an enormous difference.  My hubby didn't know I'd bought one but later that same evening he commented that it was like someone had swapped the cats, they were just so much more relaxed and coming out and sitting with us of their own accord, and not bolting off at the slightest noise (like someone blinking  :rofl:)   Anecdotal?  Probably, but honestly the difference in such a short space of time was amazing!

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2007, 19:07:43 PM »
I've ordered Da bird for them and I think Oliver is getting a little braver.  At the moment he is asleep on the windowledge and NOT down the back of TV.  Portia is there at the moment but she comes out to see if any more food has been put out.  She's making up for lost time on the food front.  Thanks so m uch for your advice and sympathy.  It's great to know people who understand, Gill.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 16:25:37 PM »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 12:11:24 PM »
I know its hard but do not get dispondent about your cats cos time is the only issue here and also your patience  :hug:

I have had Sasa for over 2 yrs now and still cant touch her and she will run away if i walk very slowly towards her. She is beautiful and all I want to do is stroke her, cos she looks so strokeable.

Yesterday she was playing 9 inches from my feet for the first time and its taken so long for that to hqppen and I hope we dont go backwards again. In her little mind she remembers that humans cant be trusted and in her life she must have been treated so badly that she cant bring herself to trust me.

I can see that she wants to but she just cant do it quite yet. I believe that we are getting closer to what will be a staggeringly wonderful day but I know one little wrong move will set us back another year.

Be patient, a few days is nothing, believe me.

Have you got some fishing road type toys so they can play at a distance with you? Da bird is great as are peacock feathers cos they are about 2-3ft long. Also ping pong balls and the baby rubber footballs for cats that you can get. Little mice are also loved by some  ;D

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 11:26:50 AM »
Thanks for cheering me up re my scaredy cats.  Yesterday I noticed that Oliver will sit near the kitchen door when I'm doing their food and only moved backm a couple of paces when I came out.  Miss Prissy Paws Portia condescended to eat some crab pate (big of her) off my fingers but that was it.  She doen't seem quite so nervous now but can't really get too near her yet.  However I couldn't part with them for the world and I feel sure we'll get there eventually.

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Re: *hums* I have news...
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 18:52:26 PM »
Milly (sorry Millysmum, there's two millysmums around here now  :rofl:) spent most of the night bouncing around our bedroom, all over the bed nice and purry, and then to the windowsill and back again.  The other chap also ventured out although he is a lot more shy, and this morning they are both hiding again.  I wonder if the only 'safe' time for them in the flat was at night, hence they have got into the habit of hiding all day and coming out at night? 

They haven't really eaten yet, I'm sure that anxiety must affect their appetite but I know they must eat, so when should I worry if they haven't eaten?  One of them has used a litter tray so things are 'moving' but there's been no attempts at wanting to eat - not even a tasty tin of salmon I opened this morning.  Any suggestions? 

Hi fluffy bunny much in the same boat as yourself one scaredy cat had her a week now been to vets yest so back to square one for me what i have found is try coaxing with cooked chicken or ham mine docent like fish even tuna  :Crazy:    Just spend time in the same room as her let her come to you Mary didn't eat for over 24 h  you might find they'll come out to eat when you not around, so try putting food down before you go out or go to bed and leave dry down at all times.  I put Marys food right by her hiding place at first what about putting their bowl under the bed and leaving them alone if your really worried      
Hope this help  ;)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 18:46:33 PM »
What gorgeous cats  ;D

I wouldnt worry its only the first 24 hrs and they will definately come round in their own time.

Misa spent ages hiding under the recliner and he is big and the space to get in was only 3-4 inches high but he used to get his head in and then drag himself under and he could do it very quick. Like under you bed , it was his safe place but he did like strokes and his food and used to come out to eat behind the recliner and I used to sit there and stroke him. When he was fed and had enough he would go back under  :rofl: :rofl:

If Milly is alraedy bouncing around your room at night and eating from your hand, she is gonna be just fine, give her time  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 18:38:03 PM »
 :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 18:30:47 PM »
Aww, bless them.
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 17:38:45 PM »
Or even better, gone to powder your nose

I don't know what you're talking about, that's what it says  :shify:  :evillaugh:

And another beautiful black and white girl (I think i spotted a bit of white?!)
Yes she has quite a large white bib and white paws.  And a slightly eccentric glint in her eye  :evillaugh:

They look very comfy indeed - not terrified at all. They are just yanking your chain, the little darlings
I'm fairly convinced they're spent most of the past couple of years sleeping in 'out of reach' corners all day and coming to life at night.  Oh this is going to be fun  :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 17:41:33 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 17:35:14 PM »
Quote from: Ruth (Bazsmum) link=topic=8059.msg127476#msg127476 date=1191163940

ps you could just say "go to the toilet"  ;)  :P
[/quote

Or even better, gone to powder your nose - although these days has a completely different meanig, especially for Kate Moss  :evillaugh:

DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 17:34:56 PM »
I'm so impressed with the state of your under-bed space!!! They look very comfy indeed - not terrified at all. They are just yanking your chain, the little darlings. Cats love to mess with your head  ;)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 17:33:27 PM »
They are lovely and looking very comfy ;)

In time they'll start coming out more and more and then you won't be able to do anything alone

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 17:32:27 PM »
Ahhhh check out those gorgeous ickle pink pads!   They are both gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 17:31:03 PM »
Oh bless that Leo! Gorgeous ginger boy  :Luv:

And another beautiful black and white girl (I think i spotted a bit of white?!)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 17:26:14 PM »
I'm afraid this is the best I can do for the time being...

The lovely chap who we are currently calling Leo - although this may be subject to change!

And Milly:

Offline ems

• Super Cat
  • My two gorgeous girls, Nina (white) and Kiki
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2007, 16:18:55 PM »
Congratulations Fluffy!  ;D

Now you know the rules.... Pictures!  :evillaugh:

Puddypaws - Sam is so right. When we first got Kiki (a whole year ago!) she was either under the table or under the bed. We nearly developed a hump on our backs from sitting on the floor all day when we were off work and most of the night when we got home from work! we'd just sit in close proximity reading the paper, watching tv etc and eventually she'd spend longer and longer with us.
She was approx 1 when we got here and was found living outside with her babies, and i don't hink she'd lived inside before. It was a long, bumpy road but she is so much better now  :shy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 15:52:20 PM »
Well done Fluffybunny for taking on these two furbabes  :wow:

:waiting: for the piccies your slacking  :evillaugh:

ps you could just say "go to the toilet"  ;)  :P

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 15:43:12 PM »
I've been sat in their room with them and a crossword for most of the afternoon and Milly came out and enjoyed a tickle and a little groom a while ago :wow: Eventually I had to get up to go powder my nose and she bolted back under the sofa again.  But I think that's good for one day on  :wow:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 17:36:38 PM by fluffybunny »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2007, 15:21:19 PM »
Honestly Puddy ... give it a go ... give them time and they will come round eventually.    Even the most scaredy cat can't resist once they reaslise you aren't a threat.  Don't make too much eye contact with them too start with ... let them dictate the pace and I promise you they will come to you.

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2007, 15:06:41 PM »
The trouble is, Sam, they are 18 months old and I don't know if they have really been handled before or wether they've been roughly treated.  It really upsets me because they seem so scared of me.  They totally ignore the dog though, which is one worry less.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 14:54:49 PM »
Puddypaws ... the best was to "bond" with you kitties is to just sit on the floor in the same room as them and ignore them.  Read a book or a magazine or do a crossword ... anything that looks interesting!  ;)  Eventually your will find your furries just have to come out and see what you are doing (curiosity and all that).  It might not happen instantly it may take a few times of sitting on the floor before they trust you enough to come to you.  When they do eventually come out ... don't  rush things .... try playing with a ribbon or a shoe lace ... something that will allow the kitties to be near you without acutally touching you. 

Give it time and eventually you will be rewarded  ;)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 14:20:21 PM »
We're going through the same thing with Portia and Oliver.  If you try to approach them they shoot off and yet the other evening Portia took bits of prawn from my hand anthen licked some creamy sauce off my fingers, then when I tried (with one finger) to stroke her she ran away.  I suppose they will settle eventualy but I admit at the moment I feel as if I'm not getting anywhere with them.  Can someone give me abit of hope please.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 13:30:06 PM »
ooooh how lovely two new furbabes ... we need pics (when they come out from under the sofa  :rofl: )

These two threads might help with settling your newbies in:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4973.0

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=4793.0

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »
If they only came yesterday, I wouldn't worry too much, but leave food out overnight, you will probably find that if they are in the habit of only coming out at night, that is when they will eat. PEbbles was fussy at first, but her plate was always cleared overnight (I know they say not to leave wet out that long, but at first, it was the only time she would eat it, and at this time of year, there isn't as many worries with flies.)
Please spay your cat

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 09:36:09 AM »
Milly (sorry Millysmum, there's two millysmums around here now  :rofl:) spent most of the night bouncing around our bedroom, all over the bed nice and purry, and then to the windowsill and back again.  The other chap also ventured out although he is a lot more shy, and this morning they are both hiding again.  I wonder if the only 'safe' time for them in the flat was at night, hence they have got into the habit of hiding all day and coming out at night? 

They haven't really eaten yet, I'm sure that anxiety must affect their appetite but I know they must eat, so when should I worry if they haven't eaten?  One of them has used a litter tray so things are 'moving' but there's been no attempts at wanting to eat - not even a tasty tin of salmon I opened this morning.  Any suggestions? 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 20:18:19 PM »
Fingers crossed they come round soon.
Please spay your cat

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 17:41:08 PM »
 :congrats:   ;D

I'm sure they'll settle in time.

I can sympathise with them. I would go barking mad if I was locked in a one-bed flat with a baby

:rofl: :rofl:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 16:22:39 PM »
I can sympathise with them. I would go barking mad if I was locked in a one-bed flat with a baby :rofl: :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 15:51:53 PM »
Wonderful wonderful  ;D

I hope they settle well and eventually become cuddlebums  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 15:48:22 PM »
I have enormous 7 year old ginger male news, and petite 8 year old fluffy black & white female news.  They were rescued after being stressed out living as indoor cats in a one bedroom flat with a baby!  We've been warned that they are tremendously nervous and may take a long time to settle, but as there are just two of us in our house in a quiet village, life should become much easier for them! 

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 15:28:50 PM »
This sounds facinating :evillaugh:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 15:23:43 PM »
Well that sounds promising and now tell us the rest  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
*hums* I have news...(pics added)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 15:22:55 PM »
...actually, two bits of news, and they are both hiding under the sofa  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 17:31:02 PM by fluffybunny »

Link to CatChat