Author Topic: Probiotic  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Probiotic
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 23:21:53 PM »
I had a guest stay here who said she travelled all over india but took acidophilus every day and didn't have one stomach problem the whole time even though she ate in a few dodgy places.

btw, this stupid spellcheck on firefox bought up acidophilus as a mistake and offered pedophilia as an alternative  :-:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 23:15:10 PM »
I've never had as good results with yogurt as I have with lacto b (when I run out I sometimes give Jaffa some probiotic yogurt).  Don't know whether it just doesn't contain as much probiotic or I need to give him more or what.  With the lacto B I got results in a couple of days.  I don't need to give it all the time now but Jaffa still lapses into runny poo territory from time to time. 

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 21:11:09 PM »
so what do you think of this then - these are listed under the probiotic live cultures on this yoghurt - lactobacillus acidophilus (think that is all one) and bifidobacterium?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 19:32:41 PM »
No Problem  ;D

Oh so no lactose?  :shy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 19:14:35 PM »
sorry didn't mean to edit post thought i was replying!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 19:06:27 PM »
Yoghurts ok as long as they arent diary  dairy intollerant!

I use protexin pro soluble available from vet uk and other people recommend lacto b

I would assume Lacto B contains lactose?

nope it s the lactosporiilium (sp) bacteria - the same ones found in the yakults etc of this woeld.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 19:11:00 PM by Angie (petsearch) »

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 18:53:54 PM »
I heard about the lacto b - and my vet did warn me about the lactose issue - but she said worth giving the yoghurt a try for a few days and just stop if they start to get any worse. Hopefully by that time the test results will all be back. If they all come back negative and the yoghurt has not worked then I am going to order one of the probiotic supplements.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 18:46:14 PM »
Yoghurts ok as long as they arent diary  dairy intollerant!

I use protexin pro soluble available from vet uk and other people recommend lacto b
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 18:57:39 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 18:33:51 PM »
 :rofl: I was almost afraid to read on...

thanks Mark. Heidi seems a little improved today but she is not eating as much of it and she wasn't quite as bad as Huxley. Had the first result back this evening - all clear for enteritis.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 15:49:07 PM »
I'm guessing but there should be some improvement within 2 days or so. I think they should also advise people to give it after a course of antibiotics to rebalance the flora.

It really is multitasking stuff  :evillaugh:

I was even recommended it to put on
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
concrete garden ornaments to age them quicky. If you cover them with live yoghurt, they go green & mossy in no time.

What did you think I was going to say?  :evillaugh:

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
Probiotic
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 13:04:49 PM »
As I mentioned in an earlier thread my new cats Heidi and Huxley, have had runny poo ever since I got them (almost 3 weeks ago). They have been on 2 courses of antibiotics and now samples have been sent off for analysis. In the meantime, after a recommendation from Puurs members, I discussed probiotics with my vet who then suggested I try them on natural live yoghurt. I have been putting it down since Monday night and now Heidi and Huxley are really tucking into it. I wondered does anyone know if this were to work how long would it be before I should expect to see some results?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 11:01:45 AM by fourfurballs »

Link to CatChat