Author Topic: Timing for neutering  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Timing for neutering
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 22:41:34 PM »
Both Jaffa and Mosi were done at 5 months.  I didn't have any problems getting my vets to agree to do them.  With Jaffa, I had to take him in so that they could have a look at him and see if he was, er.. ready!  ;)  With Mosi I just booked him in.  When I spoke to the actual vet on the phone to check what time to take him in, she did ask me if I didn't want to wait a bit (she suggested 7 months!) but I said no I wanted him doing then and he was ready.  She was ok with that.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 19:54:27 PM »
Smidgen is just coming up for five months of age and I am monitoring him fairly closely as he has, from time to time, shown an unhealthy interest in Esther who is spayed. It may just be dominance behaviour, but I am keeping an eye on him. His bits are well-developed so he will be for the chop if he steps out of line ...

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 17:06:29 PM »
Im on the earlier the better side of the fence. When you get him done i would also recommend you get him microchipped aswell  ;D

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 15:30:02 PM »
Thanks Sheryl!!  Whoa, more Italian connection!!  Fico! How cool is that!! :wow:

Dawn, Gianicolo is a gorgeous area, and you are right, beautiful view... lucky you!! 
All we got to see from our flat is a huge railroad track leading to the Termini Station and a raised motorway!! :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 15:22:29 PM »
Hi and welcome Licia, my family on my Fathers side all live in Pavia.

Your little boy is gorgeous.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 13:30:03 PM »
Gianicolo that's it!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 13:11:58 PM »
Thanks TS for your advice!!  I guess I need to phone a vet to see what will be the best option....  Thanks also for the tip for his diet... he can surely do with less fat diet, though he is not really "fat" or flabby yet, and he is active enough, you should see his belly!!  He could have been called Homer Simpson!!  I will watch out for this sort of cat foods, I think he will need it...

Dawn, probably you were around that hilly area between San Pietro and Trastevere, Gianicolo (or Janiculum)?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
we lived in rome for 3 months in 2002 - near the place with all the statues of Garibaldi and the great view, can't remember what it was called sorry!

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 12:42:23 PM »
There's no reason not to neuter a 4 month old kitten so if your vet is prepared to do it then go for it!
You can buy special diets for neutered cats or otherwise putting him on a food specifically for indoor cats (low fat and high protein) is a good idea as these have less calories. Neutered cats require 30% less energy than entire cats.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
Thanks for your advice Dawn and Ruth!!  Wow, a tom who never sprayed...only if that would be the case with Oliver, too, but you would never know... He is still every bit like a kitten, his behaviour, and silky soft fur particular to little ones, so perhaps I will wait another month or so.  He is a huge eater with an insatiable appetite and I am a bit worried about obesity once he gets neutered... will any precaution be required for his diet?  BTW he will be strictly an indoor cat, we live in a 3rd floor flat, and central Rome, full of crazy traffic and mean street cats, it is hardly a place for a spoiled domestic moggy to roam about on his own!!

Wow Dawn!!  Umbria is pretty close to Rome!!  Small world!! ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 12:37:43 PM by dolcetta46 »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 12:20:17 PM »
Basically a vet can neuter a tom when they *ahem* are big enough to get hold of comfortably for surgery....you should'nt have any probs with him spraying yet i havnt known a 4 month kitten spray before  :Crazy:

I have 4 toms and they have never sprayed....i had 2 of these done at 6 months.....just remember not to let your kitty out before he is done & for several weeks (7-8) afterwards as they have a good chance of roaming and becomming lost  ;)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 12:18:55 PM »
Hi Licia, it seems to depend on your vet, I know that mine doesn't neuter males younger than six months but others do.  Not sure what the standard is in Italy.   My oh's family live in Umbria!

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
Timing for neutering
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:13:03 PM »
From my understanding, a kitten should be neutered around 6 months mark.  My Oliver is 4 months old, however he is quite robust and has grown exceptionally well, he already looks like a small (and pudgy) adult cat. (Well, physically I mean, he still acts every bit like a kitten of course...)  Will it be adviced to get him neutered as soon as possible, or should I wait for another month or two?  I know a few people who have waited too long and their cat started marking all over the house, which was not exactly something for them to celebrate over, and I would like to avoid that situation... Any advice would be appreciated!! 

Link to CatChat