Author Topic: Pouches  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
Re: Pouches
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 12:14:24 PM »
Hiya Bluecat. I still shouldn't worry too much about half a pouch. Capt. Josh has only ever managed about half unless he's really hungry. Even then, he usually licks the gravy off and leaves the meat. He's a huge British Blue and he ain't getting any thinner from it  :evillaugh: . Bizarrely, he hates Gourmet, Hi-Life and fishy stuff too. Odd cat. He does, however like Wilko's "Duchess" but I think that's because he laps up the gravy.

We get half a pouch each at tea time and all the biscuits we can eat. It's ok that way...

Your kitty's gorgeous btw. Good choice of colour. Gotta love the blue cats!
Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 12:00:39 PM »
[quote author=Gill (sneakiefeline) link=topic=7854.msg124104#msg124104 date=119050138

I know its a waste but think you should try giving fresh pouches each time, do you leave biscuits out too.

Just be patient its very early days yet, could take weeks for her to be brave.

If she keeps on being sick for no reason , a vet trip may be needed, but it may just be stress at the moment. Are you feeding the same food that she had before, if not , I would try doing that.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee  :hug:
[/quote]

Will carry on whith the fresh  yes im leaving dry down high life which she seemes to like it she was liking her lips on the way back any way
marys from a breeder her kitten days are over bless her and she was bulied by the orther cats and hid under the bed  in the bed room so im told shes not normally timid will take time   I dread the vets  how do i get hold of her without totaly freaking her out it would have to be a blanket grab.  She came for a wander yesterday and today im sat in her chair to type this lmao :evillaugh:  so best be quick

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 08:06:57 AM »
maybe you could zap the food for a short time in the microwave so it is a little warmer than room temperature and the smell is stronger. Not sure what her background is, but if she has been living wild maybe she is used to food at body temp rather than room temp is suspects you are feeding her stale prey??

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 01:06:10 AM »
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 23:49:47 PM »
I know its a waste but think you should try giving fresh pouches each time, do you leave biscuits out too.

Just be patient its very early days yet, could take weeks for her to be brave.

If she keeps on being sick for no reason , a vet trip may be needed, but it may just be stress at the moment. Are you feeding the same food that she had before, if not , I would try doing that.

Slowly slowly catchee monkee  :hug:

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 23:43:18 PM »
came out today and is still wandering  ;D But  Eaten less if thats possible and was sick earlier  :scared: two steps one way three the orther  :(
no lap siting cant tempt her to eat  not even with the mint debta bits which was working  hope for a better day tom  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 19:08:15 PM »
Wow. sat on your lap!

She is getting braver which is great.

Try not to make eye contact with her but if she catches you looking do a slow blink with a yawn.............thats a friendly sign  ;D

I have nnevr had any cats that would eat food after it had been in the fridge, I read somewhere that when it goes in fridge something changes in it and thats why they will not eat it................however its sounds like this depends on the cat  :shify: :shify:

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 14:20:45 PM »
Oh the poor love - good news about her improving though!!

It sounds like you're making headway with her if she's felt confident enough to come out of hiding and give your lap a try  :Luv:. These things take time and although it might feel a bit like 'one step forward, two steps back', cats aren't daft and she'll soon realise how much you love her and then she'll never be off your lap!   

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 13:52:35 PM »
Hi Bluecat! Pouches are quite small...how come you've got any contents left to save? If I were to save cat food, it'd just be for overnight and I'd put it in a glass container in the fridge but then it'd have to be warmed up to room temp before you gave it to puss.

I've given my lot their breakfast and left them munching when I've gone out on placement so it's been down for about 8 hrs because although OH will come home in the meantime, he won't put down fresh or pick the dish up or anything  >:( in the summer if the weather's hot or if I have the back door open [as I do], I only leave wet food down for an hour or so because of it attracting flies  :sick: or spoiling in the heat.

As for the cat litter - never heard of it, you might find the thread on cat litter useful though  :)   

This is because shes only eating aprox half a pouch if that i have left it down for her but remove it after 2 hrs Thier is dry down at all times though useing high life complete at mo.  Would save wasteing food untill shes eating properly she is improving at least shes eating now.
Shes left the hiding hole behind the shelf to the tunnel behind the sofa she came and sat on my lap day before yest then went into reverse gear the next morning.
If she pops out the tunnel i ignore her if i look at her she scarpers away try and stroke her once a day though try being the word though..

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 13:09:19 PM »
How long can they keep once opend whats the best way to keep them ?  how long can you leave wet food down for as well ?

Any one use or ever used Yestedays news cat litter been trying to find the right scoop for it and possibly cheaper alternative?

When I use pouches is rare to have any left over! but if I do, I just fold the top over and fasten with old fashioned clothes peg and put in fridge, but I would reckon 48 hours max. Also never have any food left down, cos its all gone as soon as its dished out LOL!  ;D

Never used Yesterday's news, but like Dawn, I use the chick crumbs, which are cheaper than many commercial cat litters.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »
I just fold the top of the pouch down and wrap the whole thing in clingfilm and pop it in the fridge. The other half of the pouch is always used within 12 hours but I certainly wouldn't keep them any longer than 24 hours in the fridge.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 13:12:26 PM by Team Svartalfheims »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »
Hi Bluecat, I never have half pouches but if I did I would keep them in the fridge as Susanne suggests, I always throw anyway anything from breakfast that hasn't been eaten by about 6 in the evening.  I have tried that yesterdays news stuff but didn't get on with it at all, I tried loads but really needed something flushable so ended up with chick crumb

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »
I put wet food in the fridge for up to 24 hours and it keeps fine.  I think it would be ok for about 48 hrs provided it is refrigerated but I don't think I'd want to keep it much longer than that.  I feed Mosi half a pouch at a time topped with some dry so I tend to have half used pouches in the fridge a lot. 

Mine eat it as soon as it's put down so that's not really an issue for me.  I do leave wet food in auto feeders sometimes though.  when I do that I put it in the fridge the night before so that it's cold, and then put it down in the morning for teatime.  Never had any problems doing that, but I wouldn't do it in very hot weather.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
Hi Bluecat! Pouches are quite small...how come you've got any contents left to save? If I were to save cat food, it'd just be for overnight and I'd put it in a glass container in the fridge but then it'd have to be warmed up to room temp before you gave it to puss.

I've given my lot their breakfast and left them munching when I've gone out on placement so it's been down for about 8 hrs because although OH will come home in the meantime, he won't put down fresh or pick the dish up or anything  >:( in the summer if the weather's hot or if I have the back door open [as I do], I only leave wet food down for an hour or so because of it attracting flies  :sick: or spoiling in the heat.

As for the cat litter - never heard of it, you might find the thread on cat litter useful though  :)   

Offline bluecat

• Senior Cat
  • m
Pouches
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 11:20:58 AM »
How long can they keep once opend whats the best way to keep them ?  how long can you leave wet food down for as well ?

Any one use or ever used Yestedays news cat litter been trying to find the right scoop for it and possibly cheaper alternative?

Link to CatChat